collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: List of cleaning products  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: List of cleaning products
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
Thanks. I got the idea for this because I see a lot of people asking about cleaning products, but also because I tend to start with "what cleaning stuff do I have around the house that I might be able to use?" rather than "how do I remove x from my pony?" and I wouldn't want someone to accidentally damage one of their ponies trying to make it better!

Although I am leaving out negatives to people, such as allergies and such, because that would be too much to include for every product, and I hope people will know themselves well enough to know if that might be an issue.

I have another question: I've heard some concerns that acetone can damage G4 bodies...is that true?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 06:39:12 AM »
I have a feeling the acetone comment with G4s might have been a one off experience someone had which became a bit of an urban legend...

Here is a link to an old thread which seems to have most comments that its fine with G4s...

http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/printertopic=1/t=278925/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

At the end of the day if you left acetone on any pony it may very well damage the plastic no matter the pony gen but thats why everyone advises to ensure it is completely wiped away after use.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
OK, well I do remember last year seeing some people say their G4s melted a little while they were removing the cutie marks, but I don't know what the conditions where that caused that to happen. For now I'll leave it off the list of negatives.

Is this everything? Anyone else have anything to add? Anyone try paint thinner? And I remember a while ago someone talking about using dry erase markers or clear blenders to remove some marker, but what was concluded from that? I seem to remember some very specific conditions where it might work (like clear blender used immediately on fresh marker? Something like that?), but I'll include it as something tried that didn't work if that's the case too.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
For the denture tabs, all it did was bubble the gunk out of the feet and legs.  More convenient than baking soda/vinegar which likely would have done the same.  I have yet to try immersing a pony in denture cleaner.  Need a victim...
:socks:   :frog:

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 02:06:47 AM »
I have to add that the soft scrub will also remove surface dirt, rust from the tail clamp, will help work out tail rust chunks and remove the stain if used with tooth brush, and kills germs and bacteria because it contains bleach.  Negative aspect of it is that you need to very gentle with it on glitter symbols because it will remove some of the glitter if you scrub too vigorously.

*edit - I have tried paint thinner and found it to be not as effective as acetone in removing marks.  G1s will also swell up if you soak them in it.  (like if you're trying to remove a botched FBR)  The same will happen with acetone for that matter.  But, if left to sit for a long time, they will return to their normal size and shape, but with a slight difference to the surface texture of the plastic.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:09:47 AM by Lavender_Lace »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal