collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community  (Read 12128 times)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
This could follow you for life.  It could affect future employment, your social life, dating life, family, ect.

Yes, exactly! I'm sure it might seem tempting to some people who'd like to show off their collection and might think it wouldn't be so bad, but PLEASE be aware of how much this kind of bad publicity could follow you.

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
wow that is very very concerning   thank you for posting the heads up!
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »
Something very similar to this happened in the Care Bear collecting community several years ago.  One of our community members got on an episode of Dr. Phil...needless to say, it was not at all a positive look at Care Bear fandom and many collectors (including myself) were ashamed to identify as collectors for quite a while after that.  I definitely don't want to see this happen with MLP.

Offline Zenobiaa

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Just a little bit Ditzy Doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 04:27:11 PM »
This is very concerning. I pray that no one agrees to do this, though I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't already have 100 people emailing them asking to do the show. The pony collecting community is huge, and no doubt there's people out there who don't know what they do to the people in this show and might think they could do the community good by going on this show. And some people just don't care as long as they're on TV.

I don't even get what's so crazy about collecting vinyl ponies? A lot of people collect things like baseball cards, dolls, old action figures, ect. And there's MANY other, more "unusual" and unique collections than toy ponies. It just makes no sense to me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Help me find my grail: FS :muffin: Pony/Ditzy Doo Prototype

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
My bf frequents the GI Joe board too and they are trying to recruit people with GI Joe collections.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I really don't think any of us needs to get too worried here.  Obviously most of the people in this thread aren't the type to want to participate anyway, which is good, but here's my two cents:  A few months ago I was visiting my TV-obsessed family in Minnesota and my sisters were into that "My Crazy Obsession" show.  I saw the episodes featuring the Cabbage Patch couple and the Mickey Mouse woman who moved to Florida so she could go to WDW every week.  Let's face it, the people who agree to be on these types of shows probably ARE a bit obsessive when it comes to their collections.  I don't think any less of people who collect Cabbage Patch Kids or Mickey Mouse memorabilia on account of lame shows like this, and I wouldn't think less of the MLP collecting community should some super-obsessive pony fan be featured on the show someday.  Calm down, fellow pony peeps.  It's all cool. :)

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I really don't think any of us needs to get too worried here.  Obviously most of the people in this thread aren't the type to want to participate anyway, which is good, but here's my two cents:  A few months ago I was visiting my TV-obsessed family in Minnesota and my sisters were into that "My Crazy Obsession" show.  I saw the episodes featuring the Cabbage Patch couple and the Mickey Mouse woman who moved to Florida so she could go to WDW every week.  Let's face it, the people who agree to be on these types of shows probably ARE a bit obsessive when it comes to their collections.  I don't think any less of people who collect Cabbage Patch Kids or Mickey Mouse memorabilia on account of lame shows like this, and I wouldn't think less of MLP collectors should some super-obsessive pony fan be featured on the show someday.  Calm down, fellow pony fans.  It's all cool. :)

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel on it, too. I'm hoping there wouldn't be bad publicity for MLP, but I agree with what lochnessmomster said pretty much.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
I'm really glad you posted this. Remember, if you are tempted to submit for this show, no matter how well you portray yourself or your collection/hobby, creative editing can always make you look how the producers want you to look. They can take comments or sound bytes from you and put it in a whole new context and when you sign the contract to be on the show, you sign your rights away. I'd  like to think that the show wouldn't portray pony collectors as crazy folk, but prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PonyPancake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »
Oh no. I remember an episode with Cabbage Patch Kids that made their whole collecting community look like freaks, and behind the shock value editing, they looked like friendly, passionate people. They would do the same to MLP... :( Its sad how people are exploited on TV now a days.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
Casting pony collectors among people who drink their urine is a bit...concerning to me

:blink: maybe I missed out on the terrible episodes?  Pony collecting just seems a little less shocking than urine drinking.

Quick, everyone act really boring so they go away  :P
For example- There was an episode on a woman who makes realistic baby dolls.  She has a huge collection, all made by her. Amazingly talented and they portray her as if there is something wrong with her because she makes them for herself, not to sell.

Why would they think there's something wrong with keeping things you made? If I were to say, make a plush that took a long time, I'd most certainly keep it.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 07:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I really hope nopony out there falls for it. It would be one thing to be showing off a collection but a bad rap will greatly damage the pony community. I really hope someone doesn't fall for this. :(
~Foxtale~

PawPrince

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:39:50 PM by PawPrince »

Offline SweetTune

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Fair
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I take that show as very tongue in cheek. I've only seen the Cabbage Patch and Pink episodes all the way through, but it seems to me that the person the episode is about, while seriously into whatever they are talking about, is kind of poking fun at themselves and having a good time with it by "over doing it". I think they are supposed to come off as silly and viewed as strange by people that just don't get it and the people who are featured in the show know that.

There are plenty of people who will never "get" pony collecting no matter how well it is portrayed in a documentary or otherwise, which in my eyes is a good thing. It means I have less collectors to compete with. :lol: If everyone accepted the awesomeness that is MLP it wouldn't be quirky and different to collect them.

Bee-chan

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Just a heads up.

I'm going to be talking, via phone call, to Jordan Hembrough, of, "Toy Hunters", on The Travel Channel sometime this weekend. We chat at times on and off on Facebook, and he and his staff are the ONLY people on tv I trust to talk about toy collecting with. Why? Because they themselves are big time toy collectors themselves, fellow geeks, they have a business here in New Jersey where they sell the toys they hunt for from all over the US from collectors, and they sell at New York City ComicCon every year ( I purchased my G1 Donatello Ninja Turtle plushie from them one year at NYC ComicCon. X3 ). Jordan had Travel Channel create a section in their photo galleries for fans of Toy Hunters to be able to upload photos of their toy collections, and I was the first gal to do so, with my ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Breyers, and other toys, and I think that caught his attention. X3

He saw my post about this on Facebook, and wants to help the pony community out with this whole ordeal.

If he can help us out, that would be awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
Criminy could you imagine how the price for a manky peachy would soar?   No more bargains anymore.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal