collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community  (Read 12070 times)

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 09:30:06 AM »
Casting pony collectors among people who drink their urine is a bit...concerning to me

:blink: maybe I missed out on the terrible episodes?  Pony collecting just seems a little less shocking than urine drinking.

Quick, everyone act really boring so they go away  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »
Oh yum.  Urine.  Mm, that's a real appetite builder.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
Be careful, I seen posts for this on Craigslist when I'd did a search for Mlp for sale. It has also been posted on the Mlp trading post.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
Although I do like "Say Yes to the Dress." 

But I agree - I highly doubt they would portray any pony collector in a positive manner.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
This comment is coming strictly from me and doesn't necessarily reflect anyone's views but my own.

I urge all of you to have nothing to do with this.  Media sensationalism has widespread consequences if you're involved.  Rarely does any good come out of this situation, and you don't have much say in what context that your footage is used.  The tone of these shows often puts the subject in a negative light, making him/her seem mentally unstable or strange.  Don't be a victim of reality television's "freak show" that it likes to put on.  This is not just for the community's sake, but mainly from your own personal sake.  It could have ramifications on your personal, family, and professional life.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Greylady

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • frazzle-haired fakie
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
I believe Equestria Daily posted about this a few weeks ago. At first they thought it would be a nice idea for the community, but when they were informed by other MLP fans that the shows they make are always trying to shame people or make a mockery of someone they realised that it really is a bad idea. They attempted to warn their fans against signing up for the show.
 :(
I'm really quite appalled by shows like these. They're really in bad taste (and an awful lot of the time you can tell that the people they are making fun of have extreme mental disorders, and that's just not fair).

Online SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:50 PM »

THIS!  :P
One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »
I really hope no one falls for this. All it's going to do is make all MLP collectors look bad. My mom occasionally watches these shows and I've never seen anyone portrayed in a positive light.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »
Well said, Eviecorn!!!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »
Casting pony collectors among people who drink their urine is a bit...concerning to me

:blink: maybe I missed out on the terrible episodes?  Pony collecting just seems a little less shocking than urine drinking.

Maybe you did.  What you have to understand is that when people sign up for these shows, the show is allowed to edit the footage however they want.  For example- There was an episode on a woman who makes realistic baby dolls.  She has a huge collection, all made by her. Amazingly talented and they potray her as if there is something wrong with her because she makes them for herself, not to sell.

Then there is the couple who has cabbage patch kid dolls and made a playground for their cabbage patch kids in their back yard.  They play creepy music box music in the back and treat it like they are some sort of predatory nutters who confuse cabbage patch kids for real kids. And they involve the whole cabbage patch kid community in it.

It may seem "fun and interesting" to watch. that's not the point.

It's the fact that they will chop your interview for ultimate shock value. They will misrepresent you. And no one who watches it will realize that.
Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »

Maybe you did.  What you have to understand is that when people sign up for these shows, the show is allowed to edit the footage however they want.  For example- There was an episode on a woman who makes realistic baby dolls.  She has a huge collection, all made by her. Amazingly talented and they potray her as if there is something wrong with her because she makes them for herself, not to sell.

Then there is the couple who has cabbage patch kid dolls and made a playground for their cabbage patch kids in their back yard.  They play creepy music box music in the back and treat it like they are some sort of predatory nutters who confuse cabbage patch kids for real kids. And they involve the whole cabbage patch kid community in it.

It may seem "fun and interesting" to watch. that's not the point.

It's the fact that they will chop your interview for ultimate shock value. They will misrepresent you. And no one who watches it will realize that.

Yes, of course I understand this fully, and hope others do, too. Thanks for your warnings.

Before doing this it might be good to ask yourself "would I be willing to be a guest on Jerry Springer?" If so, I guess you can't go much worse from there.

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
It's sad what they can do in the editing room, but I don't support any of those reality shows (save a few on PBS). It's all about ratings  and they'll do what they feel they have to in order to gain them.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
Personally, if someone knowingly wanted to partake, I don't see a problem (I mean, if they knew exactly what they were getting into, had watched the show and everything and still wanted to be on).  Though my collection would be waaaaay too small to have even 1/3 of enough footage.  "Uhh...yeah, this is Sweetsteps...and, uh...a couple of others...and, well...yeah.  Thanks for coming." 

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
Please guys, don't do this. :( We really don't need this kind of publicity.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »
I'm just going to point out, it's not just the pony community's rep at stake.  It's your own!  Just imagine, you agree to partake in this, they come, film you gushing and spewing about your love for ponies, they leave and you think, "Well that went awesomely well!!" :D  Then they go and cut, edit, and butcher it until you look like some kind of a freak with a Neverland complex.  This could follow you for life.  It could affect future employment, your social life, dating life, family, ect.  I've seen their 'Collection Obession" show.  I've never seen an episode yet, that didn't make the people out to look like wierdos.  Just be careful guys.  Think before you act! :hug:
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal