collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your Pony Misstakes  (Read 3477 times)

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
Re: Your Pony Misstakes
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
This thread is making me so nervous! I'm going to my moms house in a few days and I'm worried my childhood ponies won't be there. I regret not always keeping them with me. My mom says she saw them recently and didn't donate them to charity or anything but I'm still stressed that something might have happened to them. I would be so sad if that's the case. Oh they just have to be there!
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
Early into my collecting phase, the Savers near me briefly carried new, MIP old stock g3s from previous years, including (at different times) Thistle Whistle, Snow'el (Pegasus) and Sunrise Song.  I bought them for myself and deboxed but had I known they'd be popular and htf, I would have bought doubles.

And just recently, I accidentally cut through my double Baby Crumpet's neck seal. . .  :(.   She's baity but still, I feel awful about that - I'm going to need to glue her neck once I get her re-haired.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 03:26:59 AM »
While I feel for all of you it's still a comfort to know I'm not alone in this hehe. If I could i'd help you all  :grouphug:

This thread is making me so nervous! I'm going to my moms house in a few days and I'm worried my childhood ponies won't be there. I regret not always keeping them with me. My mom says she saw them recently and didn't donate them to charity or anything but I'm still stressed that something might have happened to them. I would be so sad if that's the case. Oh they just have to be there!

I don't think you have to be nervous, I'm sure they're still there especially if your mum said she hasn't given them away. If I were you though I'd give her a call and ask her to check on them for you to put your mind at ease :)
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »
I neglected my collection for years.  Lost several ponies in a family move also.

Live and learn!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 07:07:39 AM »
Splitting my childhood collection three way between girls my parents wanted me to get along with who were jealous of my ponies.

I was a very lonely child :(

That is sad. Wow.
Your parents should have encouraged you to seek friends that liked you for what you were instead of wanting you to get along with jealous brats.

I'm glad I never had to give away things just so other kids would like me. I'm really sorry for you  :(

When I think of pony mistakes... I probably should have kept their original accessories in a box or something. I almost lost them all (or traded them with friends for other small toy thingies).
Oh, and I felt that urge to "decorate" white ponies with my mum's lipstick. Took me ages to get that crap off again and it's still visible *g*

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:38 AM »
Just thought of another thing I came to regret.

I used to save all the pamphlets that came with the ponies when I was a kid because I just loved looking at all the pictures of the ponies (happy I did that obviously). However I was a very creative child... and I thought it would a neat idea to tape all the pamphlets together to create one BIG pamphlet >.< Needless to say I do regret that now but at least I still got it lol.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:18:22 AM by Desert Rose »
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Flutterblossom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »
About a half a year ago, I found my childhood collection of g3's in my basement. I took out Honolulu, Sky Wishes, and Anchors Away and set them down on a shelf next to the box to get later. Well I forgot about them until now and my dad has been reorganizing the back room they were in. And now I can't find them!! I just found out Anchors Away was so rare and I miss her!! She was one of my favorites!!! I hope I find them one day!! I know they're down there somewhere!! I have the rest of my g3 collection but not them!! I REALLY regret taking them out of the pony bin!!!  :cry:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
My regret is similar to Xaniss:

When I started collecting ponies when I was younger, I actually kept ALL of the backcards and boxes. I figured they'd be worth something one day. I had my closet filled with them (It was a walk-in closet). But when I went away to college, my mom wanted me to clean out my room, and I decided that I hadn't done anything with these boxes (eBay wasn't in existence by then yet, this was in 1997), and I wasn't so sure anymore that they'd be worth anything. It tore my heart out to throw them all away, but I thought I was hanging onto just memories and nothing more, that they weren't going to be worth anything and I was just fooling myself. So I got this big garbage bag and said goodbye to all my pony packaging.

Moonracer

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »
First off: sorry to hear all your stories guys. Just to let you know - my heart goes to all of you. :(

Well, I've made a few pony-related mistakes myself:

- Allowing my parents to throw out the Show Stable.  :sad: While we were in England my parents got me and my sister a Show Stable from some guy at a car boot sale. All of it's accessories were missing but it was still in a decent shape. We played with it nearly all the time: using it not only as a "home" to our ponies but to our Barbie dolls as well. At some point the roof broke off, but still it was in a good shape to play with. Then, there came a time when my parents decided we should do a major clean up in our house and throw/give away all the stuff we didn't need. And the Show Stable was one of the victims - our parents has persuaded us that the Show Stable was no longer in a playable condition and that we were too old to keep it, so we should throw it away. And we agreed... it still pains me to know that I agreed to do that... :yikes:

- Marking my ponies. There was a time, when I was a kid, when I was obsessed with everything that had to do with Native American culture (it was after I've seen Disney's "Pocahontas" in theater). One time I used my pony herd to play-pretend that there were some sort of a Native American tribe and decided to give each and one of them war paint on their muzzles (please don't judge me). As of now, markings on majority of my original ponies have already faded, but then there's Tiny Giggles who sports a rather significant dark blue mark on her forehead. I plan to sunfade her in the near future, but I don't know if it'll actually work... :(

- Not getting more ponies when I had a chance. Well technically it's not really a mistake, since I was born in 1989 and in the early years of my childhood, most G1 ponies were not available any longer in stores, so the only way to get them was through car boot sales, flea markets and second hand stores. I'm still lucky enough that my parents got me all those lovely G1s and that I got to grow up with the original original cartoon. So what I'm mostly refering to is the recent years... when I first started collecting Transformers I've been thinking about starting to collect G1 ponies as well. But then I decided not to, and I regret that decission. Especially that there's been this one guy who was selling a few G1 ponies at a flea market, and even though I've been incredibly tempted to walk up to him and get those ponies, I decided not to... and that's what I really regret. :sad:

- Screwing up Tickle's hair. Tickle was one of the ponies I've decided to restore a little. For one, her tail was starting to get rusty, she had a few cancer spots which required to be disinfected, and her whole interior was sticky. So after giving her a bath, washing her body and doing everything to keep the cancer from spreading, I decided to put her back on shelf with the other ponies. But while I was trying to put her tail together, I had a problem with taking the metallic clip off and then tying the string to keep her tail in place... this resulted in tickle loosing a few of her hairs... she looks a bit better now, but I still can't get over the fact that I could screw up like that... :sad: :yikes: I still keep the hair that got loose in a ziplock back just in case should I decide to try fixing it up once again... *sigh*

And that's all. :(

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
Giving away my childhood collection.  It was such a strange thing for me to do too, I kept all my other meaningful childhood toys.  *sigh*

Elf

Oddly...this was similar for me...my mum [naughty] gave my ponies away to another little girl but for some reason held on to other toys which were extra special [Grumpy Bear is sitting looking at me from a shelf right now] just not the ponies.

Mind you...if she hadnt given them away and if I had found those ponies when I went looking for them all those years ago...maybe I would have been happy with finding just those ponies and maybe I wouldnt have stumbled upon the wonderful world of online collecting.

Yes, I am a glass is half full kind of gal :P!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline RavenWolf

• View Profile
Re: Your Pony Mistakes
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
I've had a few mistakes over the years.

The first was well I was at this huge swapmeet I found the adult pink seahorse (can't think of her name off hand) anyway I got her for 50 cents and I just carelessly slipped her into one of the bags I was caring. By the time I got back to my car she was gone. :( I retraced my steps trying to find her but she was just gone

Another time I was at a thriftstore when I saw this cool looking toy bed, I almost bought it but thought it was probably a Barbie item so I left it behind, I found out latter it was the Rock-a-Bye Bed. It was only ten cents, why? Why didn't I grab it anyway?

The one I regret the most, not really sure what I could have done different though. I stopped by this one thriftstore as I was parking I noticed some boxes that had been left by the donation area toward the back of the parking lot. Something pink caught my eye, when I looked closer it was a huge box full of MLP stuff. A complete dream castle with a bunch of G1s even several flutters with their original wings! Sigh, I did the honest thing, grabed the box and took it into the thriftstore and pretty much said name your price. I made it very clear to the manager that I wanted the stuff. He said he was very sorry but he couldn't price the stuff and the guy that did the pricing was gone for the day. I went back first thing the next morning... To find out that because a piece of the playset was broken (It would have been easily glued) and most of the ponies were dirty (they would have cleaned right up) He had thrown the whole box into the dumpster.  :cry: :mad: :cry: and legally couldn't let me go dig them out. Makes me wish I had been dishonest and just grabbed the box  :mad: I mean it would have been different if they had sold them before I got there but for them to have just been tossed.  :shocked:

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »
So far I haven't made any mistakes (that I know of) or have any regrets as far as ponies go. I'd like to think I learned my lesson with my G1 LPS and SNES collections... :lookround:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »
I was giving my first boil perm to a G4 FS Rainbow Dash, and I didn't quite get what "boil perms" actually were. Not only did I do it wrong, but her symbol got all scratched up and smeared, and I also cut her mane and tail rather significantly because it seemed too long... xP I really should've known better.
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Well, I'm new to collecting but my mistake from my childhood got me into it.

So the mistake was to take my new originals to the kindergarten with me. 
Back in the 90s in my country they were expensive as hell, secret surprise g2s (most basic) were like today's $40 and most of the popular toys at the time were fakies (Even my first mlp was fakie).

But I didn't take them to brag, I just genuinely loved them and wanted to have them with me all day long.

I was playing with them, but when I was gone to the bathroom for like 2 mins they were gone. So I know they were stolen and I know who did it, but when I told the teachers (or however are they called in English) they said it wasn't their problem and didn't care. My mom was also furious, but nobody cared. It hurt me so much that I was crying for days. Maybe not so much that they were stolen, but the fact that teachers who I adored refused to help and the fact they could be saved.

And so my collecting started with finding the lost ones  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:52:42 PM by sweet_berry »

Offline darknessunisousboy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • http://darknesscustomshack.webs.com/
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
passed up a mimic at the thrift store for $3 for a ff blossom :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal