collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Now I know why some people call it evilBay.  (Read 8917 times)

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
Now I know why some people call it evilBay.
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »
I am having the WORST luck with eBay sellers lately!  First I bought ponies from the known scammer josieannclaringbull2012/jroberts0604-uk, then I bought that lot of So Soft and Princess ponies where the seller replaced two of the ponies with new ones before asking me, and NOW I am dealing with a nasty seller who sent me a pony with a bad tail cut and is more or less accusing me of having done it myself since she is under the assumption I didn't want the pony to begin with.  I have been more than fair in dealing with her, but the nicer I am, the meaner she gets.  What is up with people?!

Trying to get my heart rate down here and take a few deep breaths, but seriously, I just don't know what to do.  Good thing I signed up for Princess-Sparkle's 30-day Challenge because I need a break from dishonest sellers.
 :cloud:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Now I know why some people call it evilBay.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:23:54 AM »
*Cuddle* I think some people don't realize how important a significant hair trim can be to a collector.  Folks just assume oh I threw a pic up there or oh I put it's in pretty good shape what more do you want?  They don't realize that for a collection piece it's incredibly important.  If the pony has to be rehaired many will not keep it in their collection because they could just as easily get one in better shape for not a lot more that will be unaltered.  And with baits, yes, baity condition can be pretty bad but it's important to list the flaws anyway.  Because if I want a pony for color then hidden marks/mold will ruin the project.  I feel like ebay sellers don't always understand that we pony people have a pretty wide community and when we buy we have certain standards and would never damage a pony just for a refund.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:52:48 AM »
*Cuddle* I think some people don't realize how important a significant hair trim can be to a collector.  Folks just assume oh I threw a pic up there or oh I put it's in pretty good shape what more do you want?  They don't realize that for a collection piece it's incredibly important.  If the pony has to be rehaired many will not keep it in their collection because they could just as easily get one in better shape for not a lot more that will be unaltered.  And with baits, yes, baity condition can be pretty bad but it's important to list the flaws anyway.  Because if I want a pony for color then hidden marks/mold will ruin the project.  I feel like ebay sellers don't always understand that we pony people have a pretty wide community and when we buy we have certain standards and would never damage a pony just for a refund.

Thanks, I could use the cuddle!  On top of all this nonsense, it is a dark, dreary, rainy day here in Scotland.  I don't know why, but sometimes the weather really does mirror what's going on in your life on any given day.  But with all of this dual rain, I am definitely looking forward to the My Little Pony rainbow, lol.  Haha, interestingly enough, I literally received a rainbow in the post today.  I bought a G2 Lady Cupcake playset from another arena member -- she comes with a rainbow and a gold-filled treasure chest.  Now that's funny right there.  :lol:

So, the things is... when I bought this pony, it was a last-minute bid.  I did a quick search for My Little Ponies to see which items were ending soonest, and this one literally had seconds left.  I bid and I won.  Afterwards, I noticed a small mark on her left front hoof that wasn't immediately visible because the photo was dark.  I also made the awful discovery that I totally overpaid.  I thought I was getting a good deal, but soon realized I paid far more than this pony usually goes for.  I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the seller if I could retract my bid/purchase, though I was fully aware that it was my own fault for bidding and that I was legally obligated to pay under eBay's policies.  I mentioned the mark on the hoof and asked if I could cancel, but the seller assured me there was no mark and that she was certain I'd be happy with my purchase.  I was disappointed but sucked it up, paid, and apologized for making her selling experience on eBay a difficult one.  Exact words.  When the pony arrived, I noticed a tooth rub, a cheek rub, some small marks, and the VERY obvious tail trim.  Ironically, there was no mark on the hoof.  I e-mailed the seller to let her know about the trim (I didn't bother mentioning the other flaws, as they were minor in comparison).  In response she said that they have had the pony from new and no one has ever touched the tail.  Annoyed, but still calm, I said that regardless of what she said, the pony definitely had a major tail trim.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt, stating that she must just not have noticed and that I was certain she didn't purposely leave out that information, but that, nevertheless, I would still like a refund.  I pointed out that I did the responsible thing and got in touch with her directly as opposed to leaving immediate negative feedback or filing a claim with eBay, which a lot of buyers would do.  Her response?

It was obvious from the first that you wanted to buy other ponies and had made a mistake bidding on this one. I think I was EXTREMELY patient having been accused of displaying a pony with a mark (twice) again with a veiled threat in the e-mail - when it is obvious now you have received it that there isn't one. I can only state again that we have had this from new. I don't appreciate veiled threats of negative feedback and filing claims.

When I receive the pony back - in good condition - and also I don't expect negative feedback from you - you bid on this pony - therefore under the rules I have no obligation to refund your money, however, as you are so determined to find fault, I suggest you send it back. When I receive it back, I will then complete the transaction. Also, please do not bid on any of my items again.

Post Merge: June 15, 2012, 06:57:40 AM

I also want to point out that I did not make any threats, thinly-veiled or otherwise.  I am not that kind of person.  If anyone is interested, here is the e-mail I sent that inspired her nasty response:

Hi,

I promise I am not trying to find fault with this pony, but regardless of what you say, the top section of the pony's tail is trimmed, leaving only a one-inch section hanging down (the bottom section of the tail is still full-length).  As a pony collector, I can tell you this is the first time I've ever seen this.  I really don't want to be difficult, and I feel I have been very polite thus far.  I did admit that there is no mark on the hoof, so if anything, that should confirm that I am being fair and trying to sort this out professionally.  I have never had to file a claim with eBay and I don't plan to start.  I also got in touch with you to try to resolve the issue first instead of immediately leaving negative feedback.  Again, I am more than happy to pay the return postage which should more than cover any re-listing fees with eBay.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:57:40 AM by lochnessmomster »

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:21:06 AM »
Am I correct in understanding that she wants you to send the pony back to her, and she will not refund you? o.O

I hope I am misunderstanding that.. But Wow..

The rubs on the pony that were not mentioned, and the tail trim would maybe allow you to open an item not as described case?

I know you don't want to do this, but it seems like it may be your only option in dealing with this woman. Im pretty sure she doesnt have to refund you until you send it back though.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 07:35:14 AM »
Am I correct in understanding that she wants you to send the pony back to her, and she will not refund you? o.O

I hope I am misunderstanding that.. But Wow..

The rubs on the pony that were not mentioned, and the tail trim would maybe allow you to open an item not as described case?

I know you don't want to do this, but it seems like it may be your only option in dealing with this woman. Im pretty sure she doesnt have to refund you until you send it back though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that.  Not only did I not threaten her, she retaliated with some pretty obvious threats of her own.  How can I send a pony back in good condition that wasn't received in good condition?!  I admitted that there was no mark on the hoof and apologized for giving her grief about it initially.  I wasn't even mean about it, I just asked if she would be willing to let me out of the purchase.  I really am a nice person!  But now I feel it's being held over my head that I didn't want the pony.  Even having overpaid, I would have been content to keep it if it was in good condition.  I'm sure we all overpay from time to time... it's not the seller's fault if we have buyer's remorse over spending too much.  The listing wasn't very detailed, merely saying the pony was in good condition.  While annoyed with the other flaws, they still fall under the category of "good," which is why I didn't mention them.  But the trim puts the pony out of the good category and into bait (or fair, at best).

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 08:51:52 AM »
It seems like there's a bit of hurt feelings on both sides of this transaction, which is making it a little more difficult than normal to take care of the issue. I know it's not easy, but try to leave your emotions behind when you're dealing with a business transaction. Just try to look at the facts. "Nothing personal" is the saying, right?

From the seller's point of view: She had an auction up that got a last-minute winning bid and the buyer then contacted her and tried to take back the bid. After reassuring her buyer, she sent out the item and then got a complaint as soon as it arrived. And she already knew you weren't completely happy with the transaction, because you tried to take back the bid, so she jumped to conclusions. Perhaps she did notice the tail cut before she put up the auction, or perhaps she didn't. Like Sarahlacewing said, if this person isn't a toy collector, it might not have occurred to her that it was a defect, or that it wasn't a serious one.

But your emails have been very professional and polite, so good job on that. :) I think in this case I would just confirm that she will refund your bid after she gets her item back and then return the pony to her. It's a shame it didn't turn out like you wanted, but try not to take it personal, even if her emails are a little testy. It would have been better if she was polite, but she is out a lot of time and effort on her part, and now has to worry about getting her item back and then relisting it.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
You mentioned feedback in your communications to her.... hope this doesn't escalate to Ebay claims because if the buyer makes ANY reference to feedback, it's considered extortion and the seller has won the case by default.  :(

But her attitude is seriously leaving something to be desired.  You can PM me if you think the attitude would put off other buyers, especially if you don't want to say something publically. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
It seems like there's a bit of hurt feelings on both sides of this transaction, which is making it a little more difficult than normal to take care of the issue. I know it's not easy, but try to leave your emotions behind when you're dealing with a business transaction. Just try to look at the facts. "Nothing personal" is the saying, right?

From the seller's point of view: She had an auction up that got a last-minute winning bid and the buyer then contacted her and tried to take back the bid. After reassuring her buyer, she sent out the item and then got a complaint as soon as it arrived. And she already knew you weren't completely happy with the transaction, because you tried to take back the bid, so she jumped to conclusions. Perhaps she did notice the tail cut before she put up the auction, or perhaps she didn't. Like Sarahlacewing said, if this person isn't a toy collector, it might not have occurred to her that it was a defect, or that it wasn't a serious one.

But your emails have been very professional and polite, so good job on that. :) I think in this case I would just confirm that she will refund your bid after she gets her item back and then return the pony to her. It's a shame it didn't turn out like you wanted, but try not to take it personal, even if her emails are a little testy. It would have been better if she was polite, but she is out a lot of time and effort on her part, and now has to worry about getting her item back and then relisting it.

There are other exchanges I didn't share on here, but yes, I can definitely understand why she would be suspicious.  Believe me, though, the last thing I wanted was to find fault with the pony.  An over-priced pony I can deal with, especially if it means not having to deal with this nonsense.  My initial e-mail to her after receiving the pony was this:

Hello,

The pony arrived this morning, thank you for sending her out so quickly.  You are right that she doesn't have a mark on her hoof; unfortunately, she has had a major tail trim (which had to have gone unnoticed on your end, as I don't think you would have intentionally left out that information).  So, it's ironic that I had wanted to retract my purchase due to a flaw that wasn't there, but now I would like to return her for an entirely different one.  I feel really bad for having to send this e-mail since you were so patient with me regarding the imagined mark on her hoof.  For all your trouble, I am more than happy to cover the return postage.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth

--------

Now, if that isn't nice, I don't know what is.  Her stance is that there is no defect.  I haven't filed any claims yet or left negative feedback.  I'm really not sure how she would win any case, though.  All I did was ask to retract the bid (while simultaneously stating that I realized this was entirely up to her since I know I am bound by eBay's policies once I have made a bid and/or purchase).  When she said no, I apologized for making her selling experience a difficult one and sent immediate payment.

Post Merge: June 15, 2012, 09:52:03 AM

You mentioned feedback in your communications to her.... hope this doesn't escalate to Ebay claims because if the buyer makes ANY reference to feedback, it's considered extortion and the seller has won the case by default.  :(

But her attitude is seriously leaving something to be desired.  You can PM me if you think the attitude would put off other buyers, especially if you don't want to say something publically.

I see what you mean now... but wow, I merely said that I could have left negative feedback when instead I got in touch with her to try to resolve the issue first.  I didn't realize it was going to be misconstrued as a threat.  Up to this point, I haven't had any truly negative experiences on eBay, so it never even occurred to me.  This stinks.
 :sad:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:52:03 AM by lochnessmomster »

~Pony Wish List~

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »
Can you share the auction link?

Either way, Feebay and paypal favor the buyer. But, yeah, if you leave negitive feedback, Ebay will remove it. You cannot mention leaving negitive feedback- ebay will see that as extortion.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
Can you share the auction link?

Either way, Feebay and paypal favor the buyer. But, yeah, if you leave negitive feedback, Ebay will remove it. You cannot mention leaving negitive feedback- ebay will see that as extortion.

There's really nothing much exciting in the auction link.  Just a Baby Bouncy that was listed as in "good condition."  I had initially wanted to retract my bid/purchase because I didn't see the mark on her hoof at first due to the photo being so dark.  The seller assured me there was no mark, and she was right, but I totally wasn't prepared for the haircut.  The problem is, I think the seller is wary of me since I had initially asked to be let out of the purchase.  I don't normally do that, and apart from asking her to make an exception, I didn't do anything wrong.  When she confirmed there was no mark on the hoof, she also wrote, "I can only repeat that she does not a mark on her hoof.  I have sold other ponies and everyone has been very satisfied - they are all in good condition.  In fact, this on is in excellent condition. When would you like me to send her?"  I replied, "Good morning.  I am sorry to have made your selling experience on eBay a difficult one.  Thank you for your reassurance. I have just sent funds to your Paypal account, so you may send the pony whenever it is convenient for you.  Hope you have a great week."  After which, I hung my head and kicked myself for making a last-minute bid, but looked forward to receiving my "in excellent condition" pony.  When Baby Bouncy arrived, not only was there the massive tail trim (not visible in the photo), there was also a blush rub, tooth rub, and a stripe of blue paint on the pupil of her right eye. 

Here is the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320918792251&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1361

The question remains: what should I do now?  I still haven't responded to her last e-mail.  Every time I think about it, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. 

~Pony Wish List~

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »
The tail cut wasn't obvious in the photo?

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
In regard to what to do now. It's a tricky situation. The picture is dark but i do feel like the cut is fairly obvious. If you are really unhappy I'd say go ahead and file the case and then the worse that an happen is you are stuck back right where you are now. As far as the feedback you didn't say you were going to leave negative if she didn't refund you just said you wanted to talk with her before leaving feedback. So it depends on how picky eBay is. I can tell this whole thing is really upsetting you. I know that being unsatisfied with a purchase is a difficult situation. So think about what will make you feel better.

Also it's hard to see in the pictures what the exact color match is, but if you like I can send you some hair to retail that little one. It might not be a perfect match, does anyone know what color she takes?
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
Yes, the tail cut is obvious (didn't notice the link before). Actually, it's very obvious.

No offense but I do think trying to back out immediately and then complaining about an obvious tail cut is putting you in a bad light.

If a seller taking a dark photo of a pony and then saying "good condition" isn't good enough for some buyers (as was insinuated here) then how about you don't bid or buy from those sellers?

Personally, I think the seller has a right to be annoyed.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Believe it or not, the tail cut really isn't obvious.  I can see what you guys are saying, but actually that part of the tail is fine.  It was just raised up a little so it looks shorter.  The problem is that the top section has been trimmed, leaving a one-inch long section of hair while the rest of the tail is still full-length. 

Post Merge: June 15, 2012, 11:01:58 AM

Yes, the tail cut is obvious (didn't notice the link before). Actually, it's very obvious.

No offense but I do think trying to back out immediately and then complaining about an obvious tail cut is putting you in a bad light.

If a seller taking a dark photo of a pony and then saying "good condition" isn't good enough for some buyers (as was insinuated here) then how about you don't bid or buy from those sellers?

Personally, I think the seller has a right to be annoyed.

I don't think that is really fair of you to say.  Have you read the entire thread?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:01:58 AM by lochnessmomster »

~Pony Wish List~

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »

I don't think that is really fair of you to say.  Have you read the entire thread?

I don't think the seller is the nicest person, don't get me wrong. But I do think she has a right to be annoyed. I'm not excusing anything else.

And the whole canceling immediately thing doesn't play well.

Also, she's not saying to send back the pony with no refund (people are jumping to this conclusion). She's saying that if she doesn't see an issue that she isn't going to refund you. This is actually a common practice with electronics but odd with an item like this.

I just see so many threads that are about a non-collector selling a pony with a crappy picture and people are flabbergasted when it's not as described. I think it's unfair on both sides to keep buying from people that have one-liners and then once the transaction is completed to try and get the price you think it's worth.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal