collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Washing So Softs  (Read 994 times)

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Washing So Softs
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
Is the washing machine a good way to clean So Soft Ponies, or is that a bad idea?
should be perma-moderated

Offline ringlets_

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Washing So Softs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
I'd advise against it.  I was mine by hand with soap or shampoo (sometimes conditioner for the hair) and a washcloth.  It is easier to monitor the temp by handwashing --- hot water can make them shed. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://www.mlparena.com/gallery2/v/Collections/album105/
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/ringlets_1
Current pony count 1,101 - 519 G1, 23 G2, 407 G3, 14 G3.5, 139 G4. Plus a lot of duplicates. Also doesn't include blind bags, petites, dream beauties, etc.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I think a washing machine would be way too rough.  It's bound to rub off a lot of fuzz.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
Ohhhh the agitation of the washer would rip flocking right off! 

COLD COLD COLD water and baking soda with a soft toothbrush will clean them more gently. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I agree with what others have already stated.  The washing machine is going to be far too rash (even ones without an agitator are less than gentle) and flocking on so softs is particularly delicate. 

I'd recommend cold water, shampoo ( I use Johnson's baby wash) and conditioner all over.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »
Just to play devil's advocate... perhaps tying the pony inside a pillow case before throwing it in the wash on a light light cycle may help?

I don't personally recommend it, but perhaps it may lessen some of the impact?

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:16 PM »
No.  ABSOLUTELY NO.

Hot water alone can damage So-softs.  Heating the glue leads to flocking removal or rub or caking.  Eek.  Beyond that...

As a G1 purist, I'm going to say that you should always wash your ponies by hand.  Dishsoap is a mild detergent.  Use a little of that, rub it in with your hands since toothbrushes can actually wear flocking a bit, rinse with lukewarm water.  Use conditioner on the flocking afterwards, let it sit for maybe two minutes--not long enough for it to muck up the glue, but long enough to work--then rinse. 

I also always remove the heads on my ponies, since you never know what kind of surprise you're going to find in there... grimaces at the thought of rusty ponies... Plus, it allows you to dry them out completely and helps prevent the growth of molds.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
Um...yes, I would say you are more likely to deflock and damage your washing machine than clean your pony. Toothbrush, shampoo and tepid water is the best idea.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »
I use a baby toothbrush and dish soap, than a little conditioner all over in cold water. Once she's dry I use the baby toothbrush again to fluff up the flocking. Works very well!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

But, on a more serious note, I suggest using cold water and a toothbrush. Hot water isn't a good idea as that can loosen up the glue and mess up the flocking. And anyway, if the pony were submerged in water like that, mold and rust would develop inside the pony. I've never heard of anyone cleaning a pony like that successfully anyway.
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
^  That picture pretty much sums it up.
Mechanical washing is not a good idea for any pony merchandise, except possibly plushies (who need to be properly protected in pillowcases or mesh bags to prevent their eyes from being destroyed) and fabric merchandise.  Even submerging ponies in water isn't a good idea unless you're taking their heads off.  Water gets trapped inside, causes mould, mildew and tail rust.

So-softs should be hand washed with a VERY gentle/soft brush, and even then you can expect some flocking loss.  Never use hot water, it loosens the glue. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal