collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 ponies with magnets, help.  (Read 1457 times)

appleponygal

• Trade Count: (0)
G3 ponies with magnets, help.
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
Hi there!
This may seem a strange question but I need to know. I know that the G3 ponies with magents can affect computer equipment but can they also affect guitars,pedals and  amps?  I have gotten back into playing guitar in a big way & I am gettign a new amp.I know that guitar pick-ups for exmaple have little magnets inside them. I would hate for those G3 ponies to ruin expensive stuff like this!  If anybody knows please let me know. :)
Natasha

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: G3 ponies with magnets, help.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:18:59 PM »
Are you storing ponies on your equipment? I'd think as long as you keep them apart you'd be fine...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
Back in college electromagnetics was not my best course but, I don't think the magnet is strong enough to do much but to be safe I would keep them away. I know magnets can also affect speakers.

A BST toy store near here has the G3 magnetic ponies hanging upside down from the drop ceiling. So they are strong.

With computers, it's mainly the hard drive or some types of memory that get affected. Hard drives are basically giant magnets. DH took an old one apart and we used them as strong fridge magnets.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
Interesting question.  DH has guitar stuff and I'm curious now.  Also thinking of painting a magnet board to hang DD's G3s on...
:socks:   :frog:

appleponygal

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
Thanks!  No I won't be letting the ponies near the equipment but it is interesting to know that they can effect speakers!  A guitar amp is a big speaker!  I think I may remove them from the room I plan to play guitar in to be on the safe side!  I actually believe that those ponies killed my old computer as they were near it.That cost me alot to replace so I can't risk it happening again wiht my guitar stuff!  I am thinking to sell them anyway as I don't like the idea of having alot of strong magnets in my house and I kinda need the money to finance my music.(Yeah I know they aren't worth much but a few quid here and there is still something!)Plau I totally need to declutter.LOL.

Post Merge: June 08, 2012, 03:30:53 PM

Interesting question.  DH has guitar stuff and I'm curious now.  Also thinking of painting a magnet board to hang DD's G3s on...

Oh really? That's cool.Yeah might be usful info for you too then. :)

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »

Thanks!  No I won't be letting the ponies near the equipment but it is interesting to know that they can effect speakers!  A guitar amp is a big speaker!  I think I may remove them from the room I plan to play guitar in to be on the safe side!  I actually believe that those ponies killed my old computer as they were near it.That cost me alot to replace so I can't risk it happening again wiht my guitar stuff!  I am thinking to sell them anyway as I don't like the idea of having alot of strong magnets in my house and I kinda need the money to finance my music.(Yeah I know they aren't worth much but a few quid here and there is still something!)Plau I totally need to declutter.LOL.

I don't remember what it was that had a magnet but I put it next to a computer speaker (they're pretty shielded) and the sound that came out was pretty distorted.  >_<
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
Magnets affect speakers because speakers already have magnets in them so adding another magnet to the permanent magnet/electomagnet balance will upset the cone and that means distorting sound. There is a danger of interference with any kind of magnet [say if you sit a pony on top of your speaker] but as you would expect the stronger the magnet the more the interference - some magnets [such as those you would get on the pack of a fridge magnet] are relatively weak so wont have dramatic effect. The magnets in G3s are surprisingly strong however. The long and the short of it is I wouldnt worry if your ponies are in the same room...but maybe dont balance magnetic ponies on or directly beside speakers. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

appleponygal

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  So the ponies would Ok say in a wooden glass door dresser/cabinet in the room for example?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  So the ponies would Ok say in a wooden glass door dresser/cabinet in the room for example?

Yes, they will be fine there...we are not talking industrial strength magnets in them - even when I hang a G3 on my fridge or radiator occasionally they slide down!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
Your ponies will be fine in the same room as your guitar and amp. Just don't put the ponies on your equipment and they'll be fine. I had lots of G3s on a unit next to several of my guitars and my big amp and they didn't do any damage just from being near them :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Stuntmang

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
There's a guide somewhere to removing the magnets from G3s, so if you're not super concerned with keeping them mint and unscathed, I'd try that out. I don't have the link, unfortunately.

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
I believe we have a non-issue here and you have nothing to worry about. My man is a luthier and has many years of experience with guitars and amps (40+). I asked him your question and he is positive that you could stack the ponies on the amp and it will be fine.

If you go to a live show you will see amps stacked on top of amps. Magnets and more magnets all together. There are magnets in the pickups of your guitar also. And how many times do you keep your guitar in the same room as your amp? Probably even in close proximity, too.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can get him to post if you'd like. ;)

appleponygal

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
I believe we have a non-issue here and you have nothing to worry about. My man is a luthier and has many years of experience with guitars and amps (40+). I asked him your question and he is positive that you could stack the ponies on the amp and it will be fine.

If you go to a live show you will see amps stacked on top of amps. Magnets and more magnets all together. There are magnets in the pickups of your guitar also. And how many times do you keep your guitar in the same room as your amp? Probably even in close proximity, too.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can get him to post if you'd like. ;)
Thanks for the reply, veyr informative! Thats' good to know!  I wont' be keepign theponies anyplace near my amp though I dont' think but good to know it's nothign to worry abotu if any do accidently get near it!  It's a Marshall Tube/valve amp by the way if that makes a difference.It's not here yet but good to check these things in advance!
Natasha

Post Merge: June 11, 2012, 02:14:16 PM

There's a guide somewhere to removing the magnets from G3s, so if you're not super concerned with keeping them mint and unscathed, I'd try that out. I don't have the link, unfortunately.
Thanks for the helpful reply. Yes, I think I saw somehtign baout that but I have so many G3s I dont' feel like doing it.LOL. I guess if there was a few faorites i really wnated to keep it might be worth having a go though!

Post Merge: June 11, 2012, 02:16:11 PM

Your ponies will be fine in the same room as your guitar and amp. Just don't put the ponies on your equipment and they'll be fine. I had lots of G3s on a unit next to several of my guitars and my big amp and they didn't do any damage just from being near them :)
Aw thanks!  Thats' ironic you play guitar too as I come from Wiltshire orginally!  I was born and grew up there! :)

Post Merge: June 11, 2012, 02:17:05 PM

Yes, they will be fine there...we are not talking industrial strength magnets in them - even when I hang a G3 on my fridge or radiator occasionally they slide down!
Thanks for the reply, that's good to know!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:17:05 PM by appleponygal »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal