collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Healthy Habits For Ponies! Take 2! ~Update last challenge, pg 99!!  (Read 86470 times)

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
Okay, so as a participant in the last Pounds for Ponies event, run by psyknife, I wanted to make sure that someone else hosted round two so that our lovely previous hostess could also participate with us for prizes. I also wanted to change the name of the 'contest' for a couple of reasons, the idea that we are wanting to present is developing healthy habits that will hopefully lead to weight loss. If not that, at least something that makes you feel better about yourself, what you're doing, and to help each other form healthy eating/exercise habits that we can stick with. Since the idea we would like to emphasize is that overall development, I thought that a new name was in order.

I will also note, that I did copy and paste some of my text from the previous thread, as I certainly don't intend to fix what's broken!

WHAT IS HEALTHY HABITS FOR PONIES?

This is a fun journey that we can all help each other with, the development of healthy, sustainable habits (that will hopefully lead to weight loss in some cases)! We will also be working towards a secondary "reward" to help train ourselves away from food rewards ~ in this case PONIES!!  This is a "journey" and not "competition" because, in my eyes, weight loss is not a competition and should not be viewed that way... ever (sorry "Biggest Loser")!  You are in this for YOU, and no one else.  We are all here to provide companionship and support to each other during the journey but we are not going to be comparing ourselves to each other. The only comparison will be 'Start!You' and 'Finish!You'. So don't worry about what everyone else is doing, worry about what you are doing and let others inspire you to do more for yourself!

HOW DOES IT WORK?

YOU set your goal.  Below you'll find the info I ask for BEFORE we start... and then you'll record your AFTERS as well.

• You are able to change your goal as YOU need to. You know yourself better than anyone else in the world. If something happens and you need to adjust your goals, feel free to do so.
  • I  ~ personally ~ would like it if you check in and post once a week. Just so we know you're still around and participating. I don't expect daily updates or 'records' of accountabilities ~ since we are in this for ourselves, if you don't follow through you're only hurting yourself.
  • The 'time frame' is a 3 month period, to give everyone plenty of time.
  • You keep track of your own points ~ I know that for myself, in the end I used an excel spreadsheet because I got tired of adding up all the points individually. I am more than happy to share this if people want it.
HOW DO I GET PONIES?
Ah, the good stuff. Here's the deal. Most of us will be looking to lose pounds for ponies. As long as you've stuck with your goals and really put some effort into maintaining and being a part of the thread you WILL get ponies at the end of the journey. I don't have an excess of ponies on hand however, I also find that I am much more motivated to work for something that I am wanting (in my case, nail polish!) so here's the deal. You put in the effort, I will reward you. I'll be asking up front for you to send me a wish list that contains 3-5 items on it. These items can be from any generation and do not just have to be ponies. As the weeks go along, I'll have 'Healthy Habits' packages set up for each participant that I'll be adding items to. I believe in rewarding and helping my fellow ponies get healthy and get happy!

Some things to keep in mind:
  • Please no Nirvana ponies (I wouldn't know a good one if it came up and kicked me)
  • Keep your per pony price to about $15 a pony
  • Every single participant WILL get something, however, remember you're working for you for prizes that YOU pick. I'm just going to be the fairy that puts the boxes together in the end.
EARNING POINTS
Okay, so now I want to talk a little bit about how we earn the points, at the very most you can earn 2 points each day.
  • 1 point for completing some form of activity. I don't care if it was for 5 minutes or 50 minutes (or more). As long as you were able to complete your 'activity' plan then you can award yourself 1 activity point.
  • 1 point for completing/eating according to what your eating plan/schedule is. As long as you did what you wanted to do that day, then you may award yourself 1 food point.
Weekly Points, you can also earn extra points for participating in the posted weekly challenge
  • 2 points for participating in the challenge, as long as you try that's all I ask. I will try and make sure they are challenges that are available to everyone and something everyone will feel comfortable posting about.
You will be keeping track of your own points, as mentioned I used a spreadsheet for the last one because I got tired of calculating them and I was only posting infrequently. I expect you to be honest and to hold yourself accountable, I'm working on the honor system =)
HOW DO I START?

Reply to this thread and include:

Your Username:
Your GOALS:
  • Whether that is a weight, inches, habits you want to develop, things you want to stop, etc. What over the next three months do you want to accomplish
Your PLAN:
  • How you intend to accomplish your goals.
Both your GOALS and your PLAN can be amended at any time during the next three months. Do not think that because you decided something today, that if you find you can't do it you can't participate. The idea is to be supportive of each other and help each other. If you need to change your goals, please, feel free to do so.
Okay, now offline (or on your computer) I want you to write down the following:
  • Weight:
  • Measurements using tape measure -  Chest: Waist: Hips:
  • GOALS 1.) What is your goal weight? 2.) What are your goal inches? 3.) What habits do you want to break? 4.) What habits do you want to develop?
  • PLAN 1.) What program will you be following (this is important, you need a PLAN for success, so be detailed)?  This includes how many days per week you are exercising... how many minutes/hour(s) you are exercising that day... WHAT type of exercising you are doing... etc. 2.) What steps are you going to take to improve your nutrition?WHYWhat are your reasons for wanting to get into better shape and play with us in this journey?
Lastly, I want you to PM me (surfstar) with a "Healthy Habits for Ponies Wishlist", that includes the following:
  • 3-5 ponies (or other wish-list items, I'm not limiting this just to ponies) that you're wanting. They can be any generation, additionally if they are coming soon, just make sure they will be released before October
  • Your username
  • Your actual name and some way to contact you outside of the arena - email, phone, facebook. Your choice.
  • Allergies of Any kinds
  • What your favorite types of NON food extras would be (stickers, glitter, custom supplies, etc.)
THINGS TO PONDER

Yes, it's a lot of information to ask, but I find that in order to have success, you need to get detailed... you can't just throw wishes to the wind or make general goals... you need to be specific (also be realistic, saying you want to lose 50lbs in a week would be unrealistic - so be both specific and realistic). If you have any medical conditions or are on prescription medications, definitely consult with your doctor on the types of activities and activity intensity you are allowed to do given your circumstances. I am not a medical doctor (though I do work in mental health) and while I have done a lot of research in this area (with the help of a wonderful nutritionist) I am not an expert.

• I will try and post/run weekly challenges that will keep the thread moving and get people involved
  • I am available a LOT, you can reach me via Facebook, tumblr, phone, etc. Fortunately, because I work in the school system I get more free time over the summer.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

CHALLENGE INFORMATION
Signups Open: June 5th to June 15th
Journey Start: June 16th (start tracking points here)
Journey Ends: September 16th (stop tracking points here)
Point Tally, End Check-In: September 17th - September 21st
Shipping Healthy Habits Boxes: September 22nd - September 30th

During the challenge, if you go MIA I won't message you. However, during that last week I will send out a PM. Even if you haven't posted in the thread but have still be following along, as long as you post during the End Check in week you will still get your box =) It is during that week that I will also ask for addresses, since at that point, I will be able to just wrap everything up and get it posted. I'm giving myself a week for shipping, just in case I can't make it to the post office after work.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
WHO IS SURFSTAR?
Well, despite my not so significant feedback I've been around the Arena forever and the Trading Post as long. I started collecting back in 1997 and I've lurked and posted at the boards for most of that time. I am a School Psychologist and I enjoy helping people to succeed, I've struggled with weight issues, body image issues, and eating issues for as long as I can recall. While I am not an expert by any means, I have a lot of research and personal experience to call on to help with anything that might arise. Nutrition and eating are two areas I feel comfortable helping people with, however, please remember that my advice is based on my personal experience (some research and science too!) but I am not a medical doctor. If you have serious concerns regarding your health or nutrition I would always suggest asking a registered dietician, nutritionist, or your doctor.

DO YOU SUGGEST ANY TYPES OF EXERCISE?

The BEST exercise is the one you will stick with.  Find something that you enjoy doing so that you look forward to it and don't dread it.It's recommended that for a well-rounded regime that you include cardio, strength and flexibility... and this needn't be all on the same day.

~psyknife

Honestly, I hate exercise. I dislike getting all hot and grungy. I don't like that I have to have special clothes (I am a bit top heavy!) to work out. However, walking is great. My suggestion is to try something for a week, if you hate it move on to something else. I know that for me I tend to not want to do super sweaty things (e.g. run) if it's stupid hot outside (this happens a lot in Texas!).  My best suggestion is to just find something that you enjoy! That way it doesn't feel quite so much like ~work. I also know that for me it helps if I schedule it (then I can't make excuses about not having the time!)

Example weekly routine:
MONDAY: 45 minutes of cardio + 10 minutes of stretching
TUESDAY: 45 minutes total body strength training + 10 minutes of stretching
WEDNESDAY: same as Monday
Thursday: same as Tuesday
Friday: 45+ minutes of stretching or yoga
Saturday: Cardio or strength
Sunday: rest

Depending on your current fitness level your exercise time may be more or less.  If you are NEW to exercise, I'd say start by shooting for 20-30 minutes for the first few weeks, and then bump up to 45 minutes.  If you are already active, go for 45 mins-1hour at a time of exercise :-)If you need help, let me know... like, if you belong to a gym that has group fitness classes and you want to figure out a weekly regime using those, let me know!
~psyknife
HOSTESS: Surfstar

PARTICIPANTS
1. hyenacub ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
2. TexasGal ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
3. Ponytails ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
4. JazzMatazz ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
5. PrincessSparkles ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
6. rayechu ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
7. RainbowRevolver ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
8. Candy_Bang ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
9. fiwen30 ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
10. Pinkamena ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
11. renee_chan ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
12. Rhini ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
13. BrightSide ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
14. Salli ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
15. Crowning_Glory13 ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
16. kaninchen ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
17. Marlin ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
18. babystarz ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
19. LizabethDawn ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
20. ZettaMomo ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
21. Lemontwist ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
22. silverskimmer ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
23. MonstarNomNom ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
24. hlbmlp ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
25. psyknife ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
26. Vintergatan ~ [Tentatively] Good Luck with your summer job though! Sending positive thoughts your way!!
27. Yuitsu ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
28. kiwimlp ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
29. Yurusumaji ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]

30. TornadoLovesMelody ~ [Tentatively]
31. egyptiondragon ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
32. banditpony ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
33. nessa16 ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
34. stopxmotion ~[Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
35. gemini_pony ~ [Tentatively]
36. DaffyDilly ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
37. ZennaBug ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
38. cuddlebuggy ~ [Posted in Thread/] Missing PM
39. Taxel ~ [Tentatively]
40. Kitkumi ~ [Posted in  Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
41. LeighAnnApanites ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
42. shockponie ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
43. StoryDreamer ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
44. HollowZero ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made/Address Received]
45. madhatterada ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]
46. Tribble79 ~ [Posted in Thread/PM Received/Folder Made]

Okay, and now I'll get us started.

Your Username: surfstar
 Your GOALS:

• I'd like to lose some weight this time. I was able to maintain my weight last time, but now that things aren't as crazy for me I'm focusing on actual weight loss.
  • Additionally, I'd like to get back into my size 12/14 pants. I'm back at a 16 and I'd love to be able to wear my summer shorts again!
  • Get moving! I'd like to get back to being more active
  • Planning my meals ahead/eating out less
Your PLAN:

• For weight loss, I will be counting Points/Calories. For the next 4 weeks I'm allowed 26 points a day (+35 for the week), and I'm aiming to keep my calories below 1500.
  • The weight loss should help get me back into my pants!
  • I'm going to be pledging to be active at LEAST 15 minutes each day. I'm starting with Yoga/Pilates/Ballet since they are something I can do in my living room
  • Using my notecard meals (I'll post some pictures!) to help with meal planning, point tracking, and calorie counting.
Some helpful websites that I use are:
  • My Fitness Pal ~ username Cyzzane
  • Calorie Count ~ username Cyzzane, I get achievements! This makes the gamer in me happy.
  • Daily Challenge ~ Under Shanna E.
I've also found that tumblr has been pretty helpful. I follow several really nifty fitness blogs that have helped to keep me motivated.

I look forward to working with everyone and seeing what healthy habits we can all develop over the next 3 months! =)

Thread Updates
Page 20 - Official List of Participants
Page 24 - Week One Challenge
Page 40 - Week Two Challenge
Page 51 - Week Three Challenge]
Page 68 - Week Five Challenge
Page 73 - Week Six Challenge
Page 77 - Week Seven Challenge
Page 85 - Week Nine Challenge
Page 90 - Week Ten Challenge
Page 93 - Week Eleven and Twelve Challenge
Page 99 - Last Challenge
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:41:53 PM by SurfStar »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Very cool that this is continuing. :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
Well hopefully! I always feel like I kill more threads than anything.

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
I am going to join at least, I need the motivation and help big time.  I'll add my stuff in here tomorrow though...too late tonight, LOL

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
I am going to go for it this time!  I need to lose my big, fat arse.  :lmao:

Your Username: hyenacub

Your GOALS:  WEIGHT LOSS!  Being this overweight makes me look more feminine...when I gain weight, I do so in a femanine way...it's the Italian in my.  My grandfather and great grandfather gained weigh the same way.  : P  I would like to lose at least five pounds each month, but will shoot for ten.

I also want to build muscle.

Your PLAN:

Eat less...that's the big thing.  I like to eat and do so a lot.  I also like foods with lots of calories.  I think I'll dig out my old Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal that I got at a garage sale.  It worked for me once!  I will start eating more fruits and veggies instead of bread and butter, pasta, and sweets. lol  I have one day a week I can "cheat", so I don't go crazy.

Also, having my own home now, and a yard, I am doing a lot more active things.  (Hell, today I worked my arse off nearly the entire day...wish it was literally XD )  Sometimes I need to be doing things (maintenance, lawnmowing, watering, tending my plants, cleaning, dusting, dishwashing, etc.) but decide to lounge around on the computer all day instead.  I plan to NOT make that choice, and instead do the active thing that needs to be done.  My house will be in better shape, and so will I.

If there's nothing to be done, I'll play on my Wii Fit--I love the obstacle course, ride my bike, or walk.

The weight loss should help get me back into my pants!

...is it bad that I snickered in a hugely immature way?  :lmao:

And....thank you for being so generous!  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:46:30 PM by hyenacub »

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
I'm in!  Will get you all the info you need/want/requested this weekend at the latest!
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Best of luck!!!!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
oo count me in! I'll get my info filled out tomorrow afternoon. I've been on a weight loss trip and so far so good 30 pds gone 57 to go! roughly according to my BMI but not everyone's body type fits that standard so we shall see what weight is proper for my size once I get there! It's slow going but looking back now, I've lost 30 pounds in a year! seriously so amazing!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Congratulations, JAzz!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
That is super awesome Jazz!

Ponytails ~ Awesome! =)

I'm in no rush for the PMs =) I figure as long as I have them by the 15th-ish everything will be good.

Hyena@ Absolutely not! I snickered when I wrote it. =) I have Italian and German in me, so I also understand what you mean by the weight distribution.

Kaoskat ~ Thank you! =)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
LOL Awesome.  Italians rule!  XD

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
Good luck everyone! Again.. lol.
If I wasn't perpetually broke I'd eat healthier too.  >_<
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
I'm going to be joining. I'm not over weight at all, but I wanna get toned up and fit. Plus,  I need to eat a bit better I'll try and get on the computer tomorrow :)
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

rayechu

• Trade Count: (0)
Yay! I missed out on the last round of this and will do it this time :)

Your Username: rayechu
Your GOALS:

Lose weight and eat healthier.
Exercise!

Your PLAN:

I'm cutting out pop and chocolate (my one exception for pop is if I happen to drink with my friends as I'm a rum & coke gal but this is not very often). I just signed up for a CSA so eating all those fruits and veggies instead of pre-processed foods.

Exercise:  I've done and hour a day before, but get annoyed when I miss a day because I'm busy. I'd like to do at least 20 minutes a day 6 days a week (to give myself a day off in case I'm busy/out).

Offline Rainbow Revolver

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • An actual dog!!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I think I'm going to join this. I don't need to lose weight, I just really need to tone up and get back into shape.
But first I need sleeeepppp, then I can fill out the form. :zzz:

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4155-8870

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal