collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Ponies that people *think* are rare HTF :)  (Read 13487 times)

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
G1 Ponies that people *think* are rare HTF :)
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:11:47 AM »
So i was just thinking about every time I talk to a non collector about ponies they always seem to think that Sea Ponies are super exotic and rare,
they get really excited to tell me they had one as a child LOL  :P

so Im just wondering, what type of common ponies do you hear people bragging about having as a child?
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: G1 Ponies that people *think* are rare HTF :)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:26:17 AM »
I had a friend of mine bragging about their G1 BowTie to me. I just smiled and nodded. I didn't want to burst their bubble v.v

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:27 AM »
a friend was very exited to tell me once that she was pretty sure she had this pony still. amazing stuff. she'd never seen anything like it! pink! multicolored hair, and glittery umbrellas! can you believe?

i love parasol as much as the next girl, but this was hyped like she was the solution to cold fusion.

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:58:07 AM »
lol well they are '80's toys' so I think they probably assume they're all rare and hard to find.

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:17:19 AM »
I agree with the seaponies! I even thought they were rare when I first started (Mostly because I had never seen one before. I've three now, so It's sort of clued in they aren't as rare as I think. I also thought the same for newborn twins. It was like, ohmygosh, I have newborn twins. and then I got another set of newborns, and then another, and you know how it goes XD. So-Softs were the same result. Everytime I got something that was decidedly not 'usual' I got it in my head they were hard to find (Not that I was thinking they were really rare and worth a lot of money or anything).

My little sister used to think boy ponies were super rare, but I've explained to her that they are just sought after, is all.

I'm amused that when people find out you are collectors they brag to you about their childhood ponies~ I wish I could meet people like that.

rainbowstars

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:42:28 AM »
Oh my gosh, this elderly woman in my neighborhood was having a "Treasure Sale".  She does this a couple times a year, there are frequently many vintage toys to find there.  I went to check it out and saw no ponies, so I told her what we were looking for and she goes, "I have some in storage, but they are the old ones that are worth money".  She apparently thought the my 6 yr old and I were looking for 50 cent garage sale ponies.  I told her I would be interested in them and she says, "I have one I think is rare.  It has no legs and a round rump."  I gave her an odd look because this did not ring a bell, the she say, "I think it's supposed to be a mermaid"  A light went on and I told her, that it was a sea pony and many had been made.  I didn't want to make her feel bad, but I also don't want her to charge me an arm and a leg when she finds it!  I'm still waiting for her to find her pony stash and call me...not that I should buy more ponies.  I find it somehow more exciting when I'm not buying them on the internet...

Sorry for the big ramble!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »
This is a great topic rel  :lol:

A couple years ago I ran into an old girlfriend and told her that I got into collecting ponies.  The first thing she says is "Omg...I have those really rare one's who's eyes open and shut."  I was like Really? Wow!!  I never did have the heart to tell her otherwise.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »

A couple years ago I ran into an old girlfriend and told her that I got into collecting ponies.  The first thing she says is "Omg...I have those really rare one's who's eyes open and shut."  I was like Really? Wow!!  I never did have the heart to tell her otherwise.

Well, it's possible it's one of the larger baby ponies, the so soft newborns I believe with the beddy bye eyes? That would be...kinda...rare? *decked with a fakie*

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »

Well, it's possible it's one of the larger baby ponies, the so soft newborns I believe with the beddy bye eyes? That would be...kinda...rare? *decked with a fakie*
lol...so true but you would have to know this girl  :blink:  ya know the type, everything I have is better than yours.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:16:22 AM »
Hahah, what an amusing read :) I don't have any experience with people thinking their ponies are super rare, but i have myself as an example of the opposite situation. My G1 collection wasn't that big (less than 20) but most of them were Euro exclusive and  I found out when I joined that I had some really rare/sought after ponies (such as reverse Baby Candy and Baby Snoozy with the bunny) but I would have never crossed my mind that any of my babies was anything special collection-wise :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »

lol...so true but you would have to know this girl  :blink:  ya know the type, everything I have is better than yours.

Oh I see!! ^^ Thank you for not hitting me with a rinse and spit! I knwo those types, I just kinda giggle to myself. Was just telling someone about it yesterday that I come across people who seem to think they have gold in old ponies when I could pay three bucks for thier common G1 in poor condition. I still feel bad. All ponies need love <3 Makes me wish people who were holding onto them for those reasons would let them go into a new home...like mine ^_^

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:39:20 AM »
A few years back  on a breakfast TV show (This Morning) they had a piece on vintage collectables and ponies were on there. They actually had a few rare ponies on display; Ice Crystal, Nightlight and maybe others but they were telling viewers to 'look at the ponies feet and if it's got flat feet then it's a very rare, original pony!'. Facepalm...

So I bet there are a load of people in the UK that think that selling flat foot ponies will put their kids through college...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
MIMIC!  Sorry had to throw that one out there... :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

miss

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »
Since I Manage a vintage toy shop everyone comes in and does this! My fav one is when they go to the ponies and tell me 'I had all of them when I was a kid' I have to keep my mouth shut!

I had some guy come in with some common ponies for sale, he kicked off big time telling me I was trying to rip him off when I said they weren't worth much at all!

People just think if it's an Old toy it's worth lots of money. U guys think ponies are bad, seriously star wars is worse! Lol

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
I personally think G1 ponies are super rare and special! But that's because I adore them and I only have a few, plus it's really hard to find them around here ):

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal