collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ugh, deflocking so-softs help?  (Read 952 times)

kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (0)
Ugh, deflocking so-softs help?
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
I've got several sad so softs in need of new life. For over three years though I've been trying to deflock this poor hairless truly, but the glue is just so stubborn. I soak her in hot water to make it more pliable but it's been such a slow process I can't help but wonder if there is a quicker or easier way. Nail polish remover made some headway, but not much, it makes me nervous around the eyes and symbols :( I also have been afraid to actually leave them in water to soften because of mold worries. G1's are my babies and I like to take as good care of them as possible and I'm at a loss now.

Anyone have any advice?

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ugh, deflocking so-softs help?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »
I'm still a newbie to deflocking as well. I deflocked a Shady that had massive amounts of glue on her hind quarters. That coupled with her very large cutie mark made her quite a pain to deflock. Currently I'm working on a paradise. She's getting close to being done. Ugh, those wings are so hard to clean.

This is what I do: First, I take off the head and remove the hair. (All my deflock projects need new hair as well.)  I boil the pony in water until the plastic is soft. Using protective rubber gloves, I'll pull out the pony while it's still hot and scrub it with a metal mesh scrubber to get rid of all the extra flocking I can. Around the painted parts like the blush and cutie marks I take my exacto knife  and scrape all the glue I can from those areas.

Next comes the acetone. Still wearing the gloves, I rub at the remainder with a cottonball and acetone and try to get all the glue off. White ponies are the worst. You can see every little spec of glue. With my Shady, she had so much glue on her hind quarters I had to resort to Goof Off. I poured it on the cutie mark and then lightly scraped it off with my exacto knife. Alas, some of the paint still came off. I'm trying to be more careful with my Paradise.

One thing I am quickly learning is that there is no quick process with deflocking. It takes a lot of time, patience and elbow grease. But I am certainly interested in any other tips and tricks someone else may have.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
I'm having the same trouble with a stubborn Paradise.  Why was my Magic Star so much easier to deflock? :(

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
I use Mötsenböcker's Lift Off adhesive remover (in combination with Dawn soap and a scrubby brush). It takes a while but eventually gets the job done. Didn't ruin the paint at all. ^_^
You can also use Jasco but I couldn't find it anywhere near me.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

kissthethunder

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
I use Mötsenböcker's Lift Off adhesive remover (in combination with Dawn soap and a scrubby brush). It takes a while but eventually gets the job done. Didn't ruin the paint at all. ^_^

Dawn soap I have! I haven't tried boiling the pony, just using hot water. To scrub, what kind of scrubber is best? You said a brush, not a rough spunge? I have several so softs in need of this to be given new life and Truly has been waiting a long time to be finished, I feel horrible for her!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »
You're in the states so you may be able to find Jasco adhesive remover in hardware stores. You need gloves and to paint it on small areas of the pony at a time with acid-resistant paintbrushes and then use paper towels to wipe off the area and all the crud that comes with it. Jasco is pretty safe around symbols as long as you don't rub too hard.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
I bought a partially deflocked Paradise recently and I'm scared to start trying to finish the job. I've never deflocked before...sounds tricky! I'll be taking some notes from this thread...
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »
Of im getting ready to attempt a de-flock this thread will help a lot. Also What the heck is jasco?

kissthethunder

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
You're in the states so you may be able to find Jasco adhesive remover in hardware stores. You need gloves and to paint it on small areas of the pony at a time with acid-resistant paintbrushes and then use paper towels to wipe off the area and all the crud that comes with it. Jasco is pretty safe around symbols as long as you don't rub too hard.

I just wrote that down, I'll head to the hardware store this afternoon and see if it's in stock! Here's hoping it helps!!

I started with warm water, a beheaded pony, and made sure the tail was removed. I'm looking to clean up the last of the glue before my girl gets a rehair. I'll keep you ladies updated! Thanks for the advice!

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
Paradise seems to have a reputation for being stubborn; I've spent months deflocking one too. xD
She's getting there. I previously deflocked Magic Star using nothing but boiling water, & she looks just dandy.  ;)
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
If you dont want to use anything extreme then elbow grease, warm water, acetone and determination will get most of the way.

However, I have found the only way I was able to shift every last part of glue was paint remover/stripper - this needs to used with absolute caution, only in very very small [sometimes diluted] quantities and in a well ventilated location [having nearly passed out one evening I can speak from the truth on this bit of advice!]
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

Dawn soap I have! I haven't tried boiling the pony, just using hot water. To scrub, what kind of scrubber is best? You said a brush, not a rough spunge? I have several so softs in need of this to be given new life and Truly has been waiting a long time to be finished, I feel horrible for her!
Yes! If you are patient enough you can remove all the remaining glue with just good ol' dawn soap. I used a scrubby brush for the wing area since I was deflocking Paradise and needed to get in between the little crevases with the brush. The rest you can probably do with a normal dish sponge with a scrubbing side. Just ...Don't use it for dishes afterwords. XD I finished deflocking my SS Shady with just Dawn soap and hot hot water since I was too impatient to find where I put the adhesive remover.
Also, like Hathor said.. If you're going to be using acetone or any sort of chemical it's best to do it outside if possible or in a room with lots of open windows. The smell of it is terrible and can make you very lightheaded.. x___x
..AND GLOVES. USE GLOVES. ;A;/ ..And keep away from carpets/fabrics.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

rainbowstars

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
I just did a so soft north star and a so soft fifi.  I decided it was a GREAT idea to do 2 since I was already doing one.  I scrubbed the whole day practically and half of the next.  Fifi was much harder than North Star.  What I used was boiling hot water/oxiclean soak, and acetone.  I ran out of acetone, so I used some non-acetone nail polish remover.  I got most of it, but still have some glue around the eyes and symbols, esp. on Fifi.  My hands hurt and I was ready to cry by the end of it!  If you haven't tried acetone, I suggest it.  I wasn't brave enough to try Jasco.  I don't even know if I could get it around here. 

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »
Oh wow. I was really wanting to try to deflock a pony but now I'm kinda scared to! It sounds really hard. Maybe if I get a really baity one then I'll try it out. I do love how the deflocked ponies look though. I've never been keen on the So Soft look, but the UK NSS ponies seem to be a bit pricey at times. I just may have a go at deflocking!
My Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal