collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pushy buyers? EDIT: Cancelled Transaction and now safe and happy.  (Read 8192 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
EDIT: The person in question will not accept the fact that I have a limit of how low I can go before I lose serious amounts of money and they are getting quite nasty about it. I really don't know what to do about it, but they don't seem to accept that I will not accept lower than I have already stated !! :(
Hi guys,
Basically I have a sale currently going on with someone and we are in the middle of discussions of price, and I have made it clear I will not settle for less than I have already stated. I am feeling quite uncomfortable because I cannot backout - for reasons I cannot explain right now , please don't suggest saying no and backing out, it's not possible. Well, I am feeling uncomfortable because they keep saying things like 'so you meant £5 yes?' in a different currency to what I have already written, so if I say pounds they say dollars, if I say dollars, they say pounds, and I have made it very clear what currency I wish to deal in and how much to accept and now they are trying to confuse me by consistently swapping between currencies. I am permanently on my guard having to check previous emails before I confirm anything because I am worried they are going to do a quickie on me and take advantage and rip me off. The person is very nice and they have nearly full positive feedback, except once which mentions the EXACT same problem I am having. I wish to carry on dealing with this person, as we both need to (again, for reasons I cannot yet explain) , but no 'funny business' is involved, just a friend helping another but with complications.   :think:
Has anyone ever dealt with someone like this before? Do you have any advice for me, other than 'Be on your guard 24/7 and read your emails at least 4 times before confirming anything', I just feel that since I have been away recently, a few people have been 'taking advantage' of the situation as I have been extremely busy and slightly stressed. I could have the total wrong end of the stick, but for several people to be making extremely similar 'accidents' is a bit strange considering I make everything as clear as day when I write it.  :dumbpc:
Thanks for reading guys, I just don't know how to continue dealing with this situation sensibly without making a monumental screw-up!  :stressed:
XX    S     XX
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:53:15 AM by Icecrystalline »

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: Pushy buyers?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
I would suggest listing the price in both pounds and dollars. That way whatever they send is correct. So if it is £5 then also say it is $7.90.
EDIT: RE: Your shoutbox post
Then you could just tell them that you wish to be paid in GBP so perhaps explain how paying through Paypal works and that you can pay in a currency other than your own. Do you think this person doesn't understand currency conversions or something? ):
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:24:52 PM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »
Thanks, I tried that but conversions are really awkward as they end up coming out with insane prices, like £5 (made up, not actual conversion) ends up coming out as $9.432 and not an exact round number, so I decided to deal in just pounds.... thank you though!
xxx

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »
I would suggest listing the price in both pounds and dollars. That way whatever they send is correct. So if it is £5 then also say it is $7.90.

This is exactly what I would suggest too , if backing out is not an option  ^^ :awake: .   State in your messages that you would like payment in GBP, but having the conversion rate written in the message beside the GBP will show your buyer the amount that £5 would be in USD.
  If it shows a funny figure on the conversion rate (I use XE currency converter to check this) , just round it up  . So for example if it was showing as $9.5783, then round it up to either $9.60, or  even $10 to be on the safe side.  Since you are accepting payment in GBP, it wont matter if the dollar price is quite exact - its just a rough guide so that the buyer has an idea of what the conversion rate is.
(I would normally say that if you are feeling uncomfortable with the way a sale is going and you think that the buyer might be trying something a bit dodgy, then back out before money is exchanged, but thats up to you if you feel that this isnt an option for you right now)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »
Figure out the price(s) and then send them an invoice from paypal. Working with your buyer is nice of you, but eventually you have to put your foot down. "5GBP and 4GBP for shipping." would be something to add in the comments section of your invoice. Also don't forget that Paypal charges a conversion fee. So if 5GBP is the minimum you need, it'd be 5 GBP + conversion adn selling fees. Here's a paypal calculator that might help...?

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:03:11 AM »
thank you everyone!You have been really helpful! xxx

hikari_amaya

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:48:50 AM »
I had a similar situation and the conversion just had me confused :( But I'm familar to EUR and GBP to the point I know under 10EUR/GBP = under $20. But don't know the exact amount. I asked one buyer to invoice my paypal and I would pay her from there :) So I wouldn't have to guess how much to pay her :( with my luck I would get it wrong...

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: Pushy buyers? EDIT: It just got worse.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:57 AM »
edited. :(

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »
maybe you should tell them that they either go with what you stated, or you'll get another buyer. it surely can't be too hard to find a buyer on here for a pony. not sure what the sale is, but if you need this money, you can't afford this person ripping you off or scamming you.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »
Some people are like that.  In some cultures in particular it is customary to really play hard ball.  I would just decline the sale.  I know you said you feel like you can't but you aren't making any money at this point and they are continuing to harass you.  In addition, they are being incredibly rude.  I don't know the reasons you have for not declining but really there isn't much we can do for you.  You have done everything right.  You have been flexible and kind.  There is no further advice I feel I can give to work out this problem because the other person completely refuses to be reasonable.  If you feel you must sell to them, then you are going to lose out to this person.  I disagree with this because it's bad for you and it encourages this kind of behavior to continue.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
You can always post who this person is, particularly if they are a member here!  That way, if there is perhaps a language or cultural barrier, the community may be able to educate them on appropriate buying behaviors in our pony community.  I don't believe that harassing a seller is okay in any way whatsoever, and bullying you to lower the price (or change currencies) gives off HUGE red flags!  :(

*pony hugs*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
The last person that tried to pull a fast one on me with conversion rates ended up on my 'do not deal with list', and I backed out of the sale telling them that I was not comfortable with the way negotiations were going.

but if backing out is not an option, stick to your guns.

You could say something like The price is X amount in GBP, you can convert that into USD using this site - http://www.xe.com/ucc/ but keep in mind with the continual rate changes, it will be just an estimate in USD.

I only accept payment in GBP.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
Thank you everyone,The person has done me a favour so  I would feel bad posting about them. They have no language difficulties, its just that they are not accepting that I would lose money if I went lower on my prices and the sad thing is it has happened with other people too in the past :( arggh, I don't know what to say now. :l xxx
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:37:55 PM by Icecrystalline »

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:30 PM »
I am sorry you are going through a difficult transaction.

But I would stick to your guns on your price.  I understand you said you can't back out because this person did you a favor.  In my opinion that does not give the person the right to haggle you to the point that you had to seek help about the situation.   

I would tell them that if they are not willing to pay what you are asking that maybe they need to find the item elsewhere.  Just because someone does something nice does not mean there has to be strings attached.  Generally folks do nice things here because we are one great big family and we like to help others out  :)   
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
In my opinion that does not give the person the right to haggle you to the point that you had to seek help about the situation.

This.

I don't know all the circumstanses here, but to me it sounds like the person is trying to take advantage of the fact that you "owe" her/him.

Hopefully that is not the case. Maybe the buyer is just a bit pushy and doesn't realise others boundaries but I don't think you should feel like you have to go through the sale if the buyer doesn't accept your lowest price.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal