collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfading Quarterback?  (Read 600 times)

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
Sunfading Quarterback?
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »
I have a Quarterback who's not as bright as he once was. Has anyone had luck lightening one with sunfading?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:20:43 PM by WickedWonderland »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfading Quarterback?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:33:19 AM »
A whole body sunfading? I would worry that all you would do is potentially fade the colour in the plastic - so making him "lighter" rather than "blue-er" if that makes sense!

Also he is a little prone to cancer and the combination of cancer and sunfading scares me....but I know other people have had success with it!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:38:40 AM »
My poor Quarterback has cancer too :( I've never known whether sunfading would make it worse.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline WickedWonderland

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »

Makes perfect sense, hathorcat. That's why I figured I'd ask first, so he doesn't end up a funky color.

I thought people had some success lightening cancer spots with sunfading? Has it been shown to make it worse because I was planning to sun-fade my Chief and he has a few spots. :(

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »
If I am honest there have been so many threads recently with so many different results and different processes and opinions on sun fading that my head is starting to spin with them all lol...

Personally I am going to remain sceptical on the sun fading of cancer - mainly as to whether it can be done with any lasting effect, without the risk of causing different damage or if it really removes it at all - cancer may be "caused" by bacteria or the integrity of the plastic being effected but it is "damaged" plastic and the sun cant "fix" plastic although it may be able to push back or fade the bruising [i.e. cancer] which the breakdown it causing - however the "damage" from the breakdown will probably return.

BUT please dont just go by my opinion because I have seen plenty of people have positive results with just sun and with sun and hydrogen peroxide...I think it was sd dreamcrystal who had an amazing result with a Baby Moondancer. But I think halfway through the process the pony also suffered a bit of a reversal of fortune although she did later manage to her looking amazing again. For a pony like Chief who is white already I would say its worth the risk to see how you get on!
Loa is my love god!

Offline WickedWonderland

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
Oh, I'm not worried about them not lightening. I just don't want it to make them spread.

To be honest, I think it could be a bad idea to lighten them because the real problem is still there and potentially contagious. I wouldn't want to forget and store him with good ponies or sell him to someone and have them do the same.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
Oh, I'm not worried about them not lightening. I just don't want it to make them spread.

To be honest, I think it could be a bad idea to lighten them because the real problem is still there and potentially contagious. I wouldn't want to forget and store him with good ponies or sell him to someone and have them do the same.

If you're willing to pop off his head, boiling him in plain water should make him non-contagious. Boiling will kill any pathogens that could be responsible for cancer, whether it is bacteria or mold. I do this with all my cancery ponies so they won't spread their issues to the rest of my ponies. I haven't had any new cases pop up in my herd.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
I dont think cancer spreads from pony to pony - the "breakdown" is in the plastic in that particular pony so it shouldn't be able to jump from pony to pony...

Here is sd dreamcrystals thread about her Baby Moondancer so you can see the success some people have had - as I mentioned the "scepticism" is just my own feelings on the matter...plenty of people will have contradictory thoughts on the process - just because some people wouldnt do it doesnt mean others wont try and some succeed and some fail!

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,294141.0.html
Loa is my love god!

Offline WickedWonderland

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »
Well, I know Chief will whiten. I was trying to fade an ink mark on his rump, but I didn't have any painter's tape, so there was some space between the ink mark and the aluminum foil and it's now wayyy whiter than the rest of him, so I'm going to have to do a fullbody sunfade or he'll forever be Mr. Splotchy Butt.

If you're willing to pop off his head, boiling him in plain water should make him non-contagious. Boiling will kill any pathogens that could be responsible for cancer, whether it is bacteria or mold. I do this with all my cancery ponies so they won't spread their issues to the rest of my ponies. I haven't had any new cases pop up in my herd.
That would be good for mold, but I'm thinking more about the leaking plasticizers. I've heard close contact with other plastic makes it worse and could possibly spread it. When silicone touches silicone it melts, so who knows what kind of chemical reactions are possible in unstable plastic.

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Sry, I can't say anything about sunfading cancer.. but the Splotchybutt made me laugh so hard!
 :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »
Scientifically I dont know for certain and I think a lot of its speculation but plasticiser is again caused by something within that individual pony mould so I dont "think" if he was sitting beside another pony on a shelf the other pony would be likely to pick it up - its not going to be "airborne" BUT I am like you I think it would prevent me from sitting him against/in the same bag as a pony which didnt currently have the problem - but thats more paranoia than anything based on concrete evidence! Personally when I have a pony with a plasticiser leakage problem I think you are better to leave him as exposed to the air as possible in order that the plasticiser evaporates away rather than builds up on and inside the pony as the damage that could do would worry me too!
Loa is my love god!

Offline WickedWonderland

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
I don't know if I believe it either, but better safe than sorry, you know? I keep all my ponies with cancer and those prone to cancer separate from my collection just in case.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal