collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~ Out Now & Coming Soon ~  (Read 607969 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: ~ Out Now & Coming Soon ~
« Reply #1950 on: March 07, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
If it was about choking hazard so many kids in Germany would have already died by chocolate egg. But they didn't because the eggs are stated to be ages 3+ and if your kid swallows a giant plastic ball it will probably also eat shoelaces like spaghetti.

Making the eggs separate is funny to me because the egg shape is deliberate to have something inside. If you don't have something inside, why not make it a chocolate bar or bonbon?

Offline heathersmoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Send the Goddess of Smoo your unwanted keychains!
    • View Profile
    • SEND ME A KEYCHAIN!
« Reply #1951 on: March 07, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
Yeah, nothing to do with choking because how would you explain the baby in King Cake?  You don't hear about Cajun children choking to death.

I agree, I die a little inside when I see the Kinder Joy eggs even though I like the flavor of the candy.  Oddly I first saw them in Malta and it took over a year for them to get to most stores in the USA at least that I've seen.  I got a bunch of Russian eggs when I was there a few months ago and so many of them were just eggs!  No toy!  Now I know to rattle them first.

Yowie and ChocoTreasure have the toy inside the chocolate but there is a seam that can be seen from all sides of the egg.  That is probably the best we'll get until the political winds change but I doubt they will at this point.

I could literally talk about this all day but it probably isn't the thread for it.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #1952 on: March 07, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »
So to put it all together, it's NOT banned because of a choking hazard but more-or-less because someone didn't like the idea?

Offline heathersmoo

• View Profile
    • SEND ME A KEYCHAIN!
« Reply #1953 on: March 07, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
To make a long story short, you are correct. 

Kinder is Italian and many decades ago, American chocolate peeps got together and lobbied to protect their domestic market. 

At this point years later, I doubt Kinder would be that big of a threat but no one who can change things really cares to; it is the every day person who just wants toys and candy together as God intended who is hurt by the law.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 07, 2018, 11:35:17 AM »
If it was about choking hazard so many kids in Germany would have already died by chocolate egg. But they didn't because the eggs are stated to be ages 3+ and if your kid swallows a giant plastic ball it will probably also eat shoelaces like spaghetti.

Making the eggs separate is funny to me because the egg shape is deliberate to have something inside. If you don't have something inside, why not make it a chocolate bar or bonbon?

Agreed! But you know shrieky helicopter parents. Logic and common sense are their mortal enemies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1955 on: March 07, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
Huh, I just heard Kinders were banned because of an old law that banned non-food inside confectionaries. Hence why Kinder Joys and Wonderballs are allowed; the candy and toy is separate. Which I guess boils down to a choking hazard, but technically any non-food the size of your head smothered in chocolate and sold in retail would be illegal.
I don't doubt that there was lobbying though, lol. Businesses love competition, but only when they win.
I hope I come across those eggs, though! They're pretty cute figures.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline heathersmoo

• View Profile
    • SEND ME A KEYCHAIN!
« Reply #1956 on: March 07, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »
True, prior to the lobbying, there wasn't a law banning non-food items inside food and size doesn't matter.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 07, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »
True, prior to the lobbying, there wasn't a law banning non-food items inside food and size doesn't matter.

I thought the law was originally written because they were adding things like sawdust to food and the lobbying decades ago was to keep the law on the books when Ferraro, who owns Kinder, wanted to introduce the eggs in the US.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline heathersmoo

• View Profile
    • SEND ME A KEYCHAIN!
« Reply #1958 on: March 07, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
I mispoke (mistyped?).  For sawdust and such, that law wasn't really being heavily, if at all, enforced since there wasn't exactly a way to arrange compliance at the time.  I wish there was a book for the candy industry like Upton Sinclair's.  Maybe I should write it :P

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: March 07, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
Yeah, nothing to do with choking because how would you explain the baby in King Cake?  You don't hear about Cajun children choking to death.

What is King Cake?  I've never heard of this.

Offline heathersmoo

• View Profile
    • SEND ME A KEYCHAIN!
« Reply #1960 on: March 08, 2018, 05:44:31 AM »
King Cake is associated with Epiphany and Carnival.  It is a round cake with a hole in the middle and can have  variety of fillings.  There is usually frosting with green, yellow, and purple sprinkles on top.  Traditionally, a plastic baby is hidden in the cake and whoever finds it in their slice will have good luck for a year and have to buy the King Cake for the krewe next year.  It is a lot of fun!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 08, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
This thread took a really interesting turn :D I love reading stuff like this.

it is the every day person who just wants toys and candy together as God intended who is hurt by the law.

:lmao:

(also Heathersmoo, I love your avatar XD)

Post Merge: March 08, 2018, 03:03:33 PM

Found blind bag wave 20B at my local ASDA last night - it's about time, we've been stuck on wave 19A for months now x_x now if only I could find a full box of wave 20B.. they only had one in stock, lol.

Did wave 19B/20A show up in the UK at all or was it just my area that's seemingly skipped them? All the shops within driving distance are still clogged up with the Halloween blind bags, so I guess it's possible they just didn't order them, lol.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:03:33 PM by Carrehz »

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 13, 2018, 10:52:52 AM »
Kinder Surprise is banned (but can be bought at specialty candy stores sometimes) but I've seen the exact same thing by different companies in both candy stores and non candy stores. Claire's even has a Kinder Surprise knockoff. I thought it was a fluke at the candy store until I saw them there. Kinder Joy tastes better and I found them at specialty candy stores as early as last summer, so I don't really care too much.

ETA: From Wikipedia
"In May 2017, it was announced that Kinder Joy would be launched in the United States in January 2018; Kinder Surprise is banned in the U.S. by a federal law which bans all food products that contain non-nutritive objects embedded within them.'"

I found them in summer of 2017.

Also, to be fair, Joy was originally made to be imported to tropical countries where Surprise would melt during transportation, according to the Wiki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Joy

From Kinder Surprise wiki:
"In 1997, the staff of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) examined and issued a recall for some Kinder Surprise illegally brought into the US with foreign labels. The staff determined that the toys within the eggs had small parts. The staff presumed that Kinder Surprise, being a chocolate product, was intended for children of all ages, including those under three years of age. On this basis, the staff took the position that Kinder Surprise was in violation of the small parts regulation and should be banned from importation into the US."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise

So the lack of a 3+ label did it? Really? But it says they have that label anyway.
Also, it says they're banned in Chile because they don't allow products to come with incentive toys/gifts.

From Surprise wiki about Joy:
"This can be found in countries which are in tropical climate (as well as in some parts of Europe), due to the fact that importing Kinder Surprise eggs to those countries will melt. In December 2017, the Kinder Joy was made available in the United States, marking the first time since the international ban that the States have allowed a Kinder product to be sold to the general public."
(Kinder products are not uncommon at places like World Market, so I don't think Kinder products were banned, just Surprise?)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:06:02 AM by Khoufu »
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1963 on: March 13, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
..And in my local tesco, Kinder Joy sits on the shelf next to Kinder Surprise, and nobody blinks. ;)

Think it's a legal requirement for age recommendations to be on the package but I've not bothered to look O.o.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:18:27 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline heathersmoo

• View Profile
    • SEND ME A KEYCHAIN!
« Reply #1964 on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:03 AM »
Thanks, Carrehz!

Tell me more about this Claire's knock off, please, Khoufu.

The label has nothing to do with it.  It really is primarily Mars Co's clout.  You can find the Kinder hippos and just regular chocolate and drugstores, just not Surprise.  That is interesting about Joy being for warmer climates since I first found them in Malta. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal