collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~ Out Now & Coming Soon ~  (Read 608081 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: ~ Out Now & Coming Soon ~
« Reply #2445 on: July 11, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
Nice comparison Ragamuffin.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 11, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
I did some research:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I divided the parts of the face into ears (red), forehead/nose (blue), upper lip (green) and chin/jaw (orange).

Dolly Mixes have weird ears that don't match up to the other gens,  a nose dip, and an upper lip that sticks out.

G3s have vaguely horselike ears, a nose dip, an upper lip that sticks out, and big eyes. G3 and Dolly Mix eyes are identical in style but Dolly Mixes' are very small.

G1s have short triangle cat ears, little to no nose dip, and a flat upper lip.

The Retro/"Modern" G1s have a slight dip in the nose, a flat upper lip, and HUGE eyes, but the eyes don't look anything like G3 OR G1. In G3 and G1, the bottom lashes/outline of the eye turns into the outline for the iris. In these Modern G1s, the line continues forward a bit. The eyelashes are also longer than G3 or G1, and they're a bit curled, whereas G3 and G1 lashes are more straight. For the ears, I think it's a mix between G1 and G4. They're still catlike like G1, but they're a bit taller like G4.

Transporting this to the next page.
I think your comparison shows off quite well that without a sculpted eye/crease the decals look flat and weird on this head sculpt. It's also more angular than G3, which surprises me a little.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:17 PM »
I personally have decided to treat Pearly Twilight and Crew as this generation's version of Dollymix Ponies until further notice.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2448 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
I did some research:

I divided the parts of the face into ears (red), forehead/nose (blue), upper lip (green) and chin/jaw (orange).

Dolly Mixes have weird ears that don't match up to the other gens,  a nose dip, and an upper lip that sticks out.

G3s have vaguely horselike ears, a nose dip, an upper lip that sticks out, and big eyes. G3 and Dolly Mix eyes are identical in style but Dolly Mixes' are very small.

G1s have short triangle cat ears, little to no nose dip, and a flat upper lip.

The Retro/"Modern" G1s have a slight dip in the nose, a flat upper lip, and HUGE eyes, but the eyes don't look anything like G3 OR G1. In G3 and G1, the bottom lashes/outline of the eye turns into the outline for the iris. In these Modern G1s, the line continues forward a bit. The eyelashes are also longer than G3 or G1, and they're a bit curled, whereas G3 and G1 lashes are more straight. For the ears, I think it's a mix between G1 and G4. They're still catlike like G1, but they're a bit taller like G4.

Would it be possible to do the same with the bodies to get an overall perspective?

From the above it does look like the heads are quite Hasbro's own random whim tbh. They're nothing like G1 heads, but they also miss important features from G3/Dollymixes as well. You didn't put G4 on the comparison but honestly I don't think they're like that either. It feels like Hasbro just grasped something out of think air to put in as a head.

Let's not call mane six ponies 'modern g1', even in parentheses. Modern G1 is the retro line. This is something else.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2449 on: July 11, 2019, 11:01:19 PM »
Would it be possible to do the same with the bodies to get an overall perspective?

From the above it does look like the heads are quite Hasbro's own random whim tbh. They're nothing like G1 heads, but they also miss important features from G3/Dollymixes as well. You didn't put G4 on the comparison but honestly I don't think they're like that either. It feels like Hasbro just grasped something out of think air to put in as a head.

Let's not call mane six ponies 'modern g1', even in parentheses. Modern G1 is the retro line. This is something else.

Yeah, I'll get on that. Just by looking, the new ponies are still in-between... not as thin and long-legged as a G3 but still not as stumpy as a G1.

The fact that these molds are just "weird" was surprising to me. Looking at the finer details, they look nothing like any other gen. Hopefully this lets people see that they're not directly copying any gen in particular. :p

As for "Retro" vs "Modern", I personally use "Retro" to refer to the current merchandise and the Basic Fun repros, which I guess technically these would fit under? It even says on the box they're "Retro Mane 6". I wouldn't call the Basic Funs "modern" though. They're new, but they're not new. They're making them with G1 molds, while the "retro ponies" are unique. The "retro ponies" are reinvented for a modern audience... for better or worse.

Something else I've seen brought up, that they look like Mexican G3s. But looking at my own, the Mexicans look like Dolly Mixes, with the same mouth shape, but the eyes are huge and put in the middle of the head like the "retro ponies". The eye size is the only thing in common, everything else is Dolly Mix-y.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 11, 2019, 11:20:00 PM »
They're still not G1, they're at best reworked versions of G4 ponies, so they're some aspect of G4.

As far as I'm concerned there's still a lot more G3 about them than G1, but if you don't want to call them modern G3, let's not call them modern G1 either.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2451 on: July 11, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »
Here's the body comparison:

Divided into neck (orange), back (purple), legs (pink), stomach (green), and chest (blue).

I think they're eerily similar to G3, if only because of the pose. The weight is still a bit different. G3 hooves are much rounder, these "retros" are very flat. G3s also have longer legs. G1s have hoofy hooves, and Dolly Mix continues to be mini-G3.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 12, 2019, 02:30:34 AM »

Divided into neck (orange), back (purple), legs (pink), stomach (green), and chest (blue).

I think they're eerily similar to G3, if only because of the pose. The weight is still a bit different. G3 hooves are much rounder, these "retros" are very flat. G3s also have longer legs. G1s have hoofy hooves, and Dolly Mix continues to be mini-G3.

Thanks for that.  Your diagrams show it so clearly.

I tend to agree with LAW that the bodies and especially the legs are G3ish. That was what made me say the Twilight looked like G3 and I don't really think differently now. But you are right on the heads being kind of their own thing.

The wings on the pegasus ponies do look a lot more g1 though than G3. LAW is right about that.

The open mouth confuses me as it's a very uncommon feature on G1 ponies. They could be trying to imitate the talking pony pose and stuff?

Spoiler
That;s the closest pose I can find to this new release in G1 but the leg line is still wrong looking at your diagrams. The bent front leg is right and so is the open mouth but the angle of the head and the rest of the legs don't fit, so I guess not...?

Otherwise it's a poor imitation of Medley/Firefly? It really doesn't look at all like them though.

They are more G3 below the neckline than anything else, but they aren't identical to G3 either.

Maybe we should just consider them G4 Dollymix and be done with it?

I wonder another thing in all of this. Will they have proper two sided symbols, if they're doing a 'retro' on this?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:33:54 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 12, 2019, 05:05:49 AM »

Another great comparison.

That's what I figured. Didn't notice about the hooves though. The front leg of the "Mishmash" and the back leg of the Dollymix seem a lot more similar then I realize. I like that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:01:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 27, 2019, 11:58:39 AM »
I found this today.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2455 on: July 27, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
There are a ton of rereleases coming up :pout:

And AFAIK, unless it's just a placeholder, they want the $40 for this castle again? It was lacking in features before, and now there's even less. There's no paint on it, it only comes with one character now, and there's no furniture accessories in sight. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for this.

And for the Cutie Mark Crew, it's all the same exact as you'd expect, but this time they look like they have rashes :lmao:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 27, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »
ooh, I hope Canterlot Castle gets re-released over here, too... that one seemed to come and go in shops and I never did get round to buying it. (£40 is waaaay too much to justify when I just want the Celestia - I was waiting for it to go on sale.. then it vanished X_X)

and ooh, Celestia in Luna's mold is cuuute, I wish she wasn't translucent though.

Offline Shadoweon

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 29, 2019, 06:02:50 AM »
I found this today.

Ponyfan

This is a set I actually really want but neither of my targets have it. Their pony sections are reduced to just the cutie mark crew and nothing else. :I

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 29, 2019, 08:01:23 AM »
The inclusion of Gummy is a bit weird since he's...not really in the special... Not that this has ever stopped Hasbroken before.  :P
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 29, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »
Eh.   :sleepy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal