collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~ Out Now & Coming Soon ~  (Read 611149 times)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: ~ Out Now & Coming Soon ~
« Reply #2160 on: October 20, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »
man, that DVD set reeeally calls attention to the fact that both MLP movies have the *exact same name* :P I wish they hadn't done that.

Not just the name.  They share numerous plot points too.  Which will also be highlighted when people can watch them back to back.

I never really liked the G1 movie (it's one of the weakest animated things for me from G1) and I haven't seen the G4 one, but if that's the case it's a big shame that G4 didn't do its own thing more. I sometimes wonder when they do that which fanbase they are really reaching for - the bronies and fans of new stuff or the older fans on a nostalgia kick...

There are some similarities but it's not the exact same thing...

Spoiler
In MLPtM G1, the witches make the smooze and the ponies need to find the flutter ponies to fight back, and they meet some friends (the Grundles). They find the flutter ponies but they initially don't want to help. They eventually come around to help and they all live happily ever after, the end.

In MLPtM G4, the Storm King captures the princesses to use their magic to rule Equestria, and the Mane 6 have to find the hippogriffs to fight back, and they meet some friends (Capper, the pirates...). They find out the hippogriffs are actually seaponies, and they initially don't want to help. They eventually come around to help and they all live happily ever after the, end.

That's what they have in common, but there's still enough that's new to not make it seem like the exact same thing. Like while the witches stay in one place (iirc?), the Mane 6 are always being hunted down by the bad guys. Twilight tries to steal the MacGuffin. There's a redeemed villain.
A nitpick, you can skip this if you want, but it was pretty much the Twilight, RBD and Pinkie Movie. The other Mane... half don't get much screentime aside from standing in the background while Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash do something. Rarity helps Capper. Applejack had a joke in the beginning of the movie. Fluttershy says "yay" for a "haha get it, bronies!!!! Remember those classic memes!" reference. That's petty much all they do in the entire movie that I can remember.

It seems like they're trying to push more toy sales with the G4 movie too. There are a LOT of characters that don't have much involvement with the movie and are pretty much introduced to sell toys. The pirates were there for ONE musical number, now we have a pirate ship and anthro parrots and pirate ponies to buy. Queen Novo probably only has like three or four lines in the entire movie and she gets a $100 castle. The Sia cameo shows up twice, very briefly, in the movie, and sings the credits song. She gets a couple brushables, a singing toy, plushes. Storm King gets some figures. Tempest gets some brushables, a statue, some blind bags... a jet... (that doesn't appear in the movie, mind you)? But she's okay imo since she's the main antagonist. But back to irrelevant characters, they sold a toy of a character that wasn't even in the movie under the "My Little Pony: The Movie" name (I don't remember his name, though. Guardians of Harmony, hippogriff). Capper has a little more involvement at least.

Really the only thing introduced in the G1 movie that seems to be for selling toys (not including the main cast) were Paradise Estate and the flutter ponies, but at least those had relevance to the plot... well. The flutter ponies were important at least. Grundles and the witches were introduced and don't get toys... Danny never got a toy... I'm still waiting on Mr. Moochick, Hasbro!

I don't think this is in particular nostalgia pandering. They do bring back villains but I don't think anyone really cares? Old fans end up disappointed and I'm not sure how bronies feel, probably indifferent. Does anybody even remember that they brought back breezies? Things that make me go "heh, nice" are small references like G1 ponies being background characters in the comics or things like the "Gusty the Great" storybook. Even then compare this to something like what Gamefreak is doing with shoehorning in Kanto Pokemon into everything. :drunk:

Spoiler
They're supposedly bringing back Grogar next season... hopefully they'll know what to do with him...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:50:57 PM by Ragamuffin »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2161 on: October 20, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
The smaller unarticulated EqG Mini figures have been spotted at Dollar Tree by people recently. I went to my closest one today and found them, though it was super picked over, mine only had two Twilights, and none of the other three. So I got a Twilight for now, hoping to check the other local Dollar Tree tomorrow to see if they have the rest.

Spoiler

I also went to Fred Meyer today and took a peek at their toy isle, didn't get anything, but I did see the Best Gift Ever Mane 6 set there:

Spoiler

I do really want this set but Fred Meyer overprices their toys, which I'm alright with when it comes to cheaper toys that aren't out anywhere else anymore (they're a bit behind in some toys yet ahead in others), but I'm definitely not going to pay Fred Meyer price for a larger set that will pop up in other stores in the near future for cheaper. I failed to get the price in the photo, but Fred Meyer is selling this set for $29.99, when it'll be $24.99 elsewhere.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: October 20, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »
The smaller unarticulated EqG Mini figures have been spotted at Dollar Tree by people recently. I went to my closest one today and found them, though it was super picked over, mine only had two Twilights, and none of the other three. So I got a Twilight for now, hoping to check the other local Dollar Tree tomorrow to see if they have the rest.

Spoiler

I also went to Fred Meyer today and took a peek at their toy isle, didn't get anything, but I did see the Best Gift Ever Mane 6 set there:

Spoiler

I do really want this set but Fred Meyer overprices their toys, which I'm alright with when it comes to cheaper toys that aren't out anywhere else anymore (they're a bit behind in some toys yet ahead in others), but I'm definitely not going to pay Fred Meyer price for a larger set that will pop up in other stores in the near future for cheaper. I failed to get the price in the photo, but Fred Meyer is selling this set for $29.99, when it'll be $24.99 elsewhere.

Thanks for the pics. :) I was at a Dollar Tree today but I didn't see any MLP items. I always check the DVD section hoping for pony DVDs but have never found any . I also didn't see the EQ figures but I will check some more Dollar Tree stores.

It's also nice to see a real life pic of the Best Gift Set ever. :) I don't have a Fred  Meyer store in my area.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: October 20, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »
man, that DVD set reeeally calls attention to the fact that both MLP movies have the *exact same name* :P I wish they hadn't done that.

Yeah, they should have found something different to call the new one.  I work at a library and when "The Lego Batman Movie" came out, a lot of people thought we had it on DVD early because we had "Lego Batman the Movie" and they got mad when it wasn't the one they wanted.  There wasn't as much mix-up with the MLP movie, but I think that's because the artwork is so obviously different.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2164 on: October 22, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
My Walmart dropped the price of the pirate pony 6-pack to $19.98. Much better deal than the original $29.98.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: October 22, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »

Yeah, they should have found something different to call the new one.  I work at a library and when "The Lego Batman Movie" came out, a lot of people thought we had it on DVD early because we had "Lego Batman the Movie" and they got mad when it wasn't the one they wanted.  There wasn't as much mix-up with the MLP movie, but I think that's because the artwork is so obviously different.

I mean I get why they didn't call it "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Movie" but surely they could've come up with SOMEthing different.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »

I mean I get why they didn't call it "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Movie" but surely they could've come up with SOMEthing different.

They could have called it "My Little Pony Adventures in Seaquestria" or something.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: October 22, 2018, 04:50:30 PM »
They come do "The Motion Picture" but kids wouldn't get it.
"Friendship to the Rescue" or anything similar would sound like an episode title.
"An Awesome Adventure" maybe, or "An Epic Tail".
"The (insert adjective) Movie" would have been obvious and straightforward.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: October 27, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
I found some new items today.

I found this crochet set at Costco. It even includes a pattern for Tempest.

Kohl's has the Firefly Hallmark ornament 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: October 27, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
I'm probably going to get, like, five of those crochet kits for Christmas.  :lol:
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2170 on: October 27, 2018, 03:49:22 PM »
That crochet kit! I thought that was supposed to come out in March, but it looks like I can add it to my Christmas list now!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: October 27, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »
Is Sandbar Costco only?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2172 on: October 27, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
Is Sandbar Costco only?

The crochet set is what Ponyfan found at Costco! I don't think Costco even sells smaller sets like that, just huge ones. That's just a normal set that'll be in regular stores like Walmart, Target, etc.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #2173 on: October 27, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
I found some new items today.

I found this crochet set at Costco. It even includes a pattern for Tempest.

Ponyfan
Would've thought Rarity would've been included since aren't these involving sewing?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: October 27, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »
Is Sandbar Costco only?

The crochet set is what Ponyfan found at Costco! I don't think Costco even sells smaller sets like that, just huge ones. That's just a normal set that'll be in regular stores like Walmart, Target, etc.

Oh.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal