collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cheapest way to send parcel from Canada to US?  (Read 7278 times)

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Cheapest way to send parcel from Canada to US?
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
Hey, ponies!

So, I've started doing sales a while ago.  I usually send ponies via Canada Post US surface mail using Paypal shipping labels, but recently one of my purchasers expressed a concern that my postage costs seemed to be higher than what she was paying for similar packages from Canadian shippers.  I've requested for her to please contact her previous vendors and provide me with information on smart shipping so that I can improve... but in the interim, do any of you have any advice on this?

Thanks!

Offline RainbowWindy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+315)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapest way to send parcel from Canada to US?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »
Don't know what kinda of deal those seller are getting since the cheapest rate for small packet surface is $5.97 Cdn (for packages under 250 g). Maybe they are getting a special business rate from a shipping service? Nothing that I could compete with since I'm not a business.  :huh:
EBay Sales ~~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »
Hmm.. it might be that your buyer has bought from businesses in the past who get special rates as Rainbow Windy suggested.   Or perhaps you use more packaging or heavier/bigger boxes so that your parcels cost more to send ? in that case you could use lighter boxes/packing materials to reduce costs (weigh your parcels on a kitchen scale/digital scales to get an accurate weight and you should be able to tell how much its going to cost by checking the PO website)
 Other than that , could it be that it costs more to send surface than airmail? I'm not sure about Canada but I've heard that that is the case in some countries  :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Mismatch

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
Hmm.. it might be that your buyer has bought from businesses in the past who get special rates as Rainbow Windy suggested.   Or perhaps you use more packaging or heavier/bigger boxes so that your parcels cost more to send ? in that case you could use lighter boxes/packing materials to reduce costs (weigh your parcels on a kitchen scale/digital scales to get an accurate weight and you should be able to tell how much its going to cost by checking the PO website)
 Other than that , could it be that it costs more to send surface than airmail? I'm not sure about Canada but I've heard that that is the case in some countries  :awake:

I actually get small boxes and cut them down to size whenever I'm shipping so that they fit the ponies exactly... plus I always do a comparison weighing between the cost of shipping in a parcel vs. bubblewrap... and I get shipping quotes printed with pricing lists at the post office so I can pick the cheapest method  :cry:

Thanks for your advice.  Sigh... it must be the small business thing.  I wonder how I'd go about qualifying for that?

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »
I am not familiar with costs on Canadian post to the US.   It sounds as though you do make sure you are giving the cheapest and most accurate shipping rate.

I looked up some options for you for small business's, and the only one I could find was the one listed below:
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/solutions/ventureone.jsf

But am I reading it correct that it was a customer who brought this to your attention?  Because in my opinion there are people who try to tell new sellers that their postage is incorrect to try and get a better rate.  Just a thought? :huh:     
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:50 AM »
it could be that one/some of the sellers she is talking about live close to the border; I know one seller used to take a trip into the US once a week or so and send the packages out through USPS to save money.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Mismatch

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »

I looked up some options for you for small business's, and the only one I could find was the one listed below:
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/solutions/ventureone.jsf

Oh, COOL!   :lol:   Thanks, Ponylady!  This is awesome!  I'm definitely going to check it out!

But am I reading it correct that it was a customer who brought this to your attention?  Because in my opinion there are people who try to tell new sellers that their postage is incorrect to try and get a better rate.  Just a thought? :huh:     

Yeah, I thought that was a possibility too... but I figured you always want to give them the benefit of the doubt, y'know :satisfied:   Thanks for the advice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal