collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning and sculpting suggestions!  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
Cleaning and sculpting suggestions!
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »
I got a MGR Sparkler off ebay that the seller failed to mention had ear tip nibbles and a nice bright pink mark by her ear. (The price isn't worth me returning it, I will contact them about listing defects a bit better..she did say her hair was a mess, which it is.)
Anyone got any experience of fixing nibbled ears? Is the pink likely to be regrind or neon pony skin disease? It's the nice bright highlighter sort pink colour.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning and sculpting suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
You ll probably get the best tips for sculpting over in customs...I could move this thread over there is you wanted.

Pictures of the pink will probably help identify what it is and if it is either a fade-able mark or if its nasty regrind.

She is such a lovely pony.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Yuitsu

• Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »
Yes please. Took ages to get a photo!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:13:25 AM »
That looks more like highlighter damage to me than regrind; regrind doesn't usually have a spot of darker color in the centre. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:40:28 AM »
Yes, regrind normally has a "focal" point where the plastic breakdown has started and then it spreads out as the surrounding plastic breaks down as well...which typically means it colours from bright pink and then out to a gradual pink [although regrind can be oranges and yellows I believe as well - depends on the plastic]

I would say "highlighter" but I have this weird highlighter theory which I always think of when I see such ponies...at what point in childhood were so many children wondering around with so many highlighter pens [and why are they all pink]? Plus out of nosiness I once drew on a bait G3 with a pink highlighter pen - you could hardly see the pink - the area I drew over just looked like the same blue as the rest of the pony but with a pink tinge.

I really feel a lot of highlighter must be something else - which makes me go back to regrind and suggest that maybe the focal point of breakdown doesn't have to be glaringly obvious - it could be tiny enough or even large enough that the entire section is the same colour.

Just my meandering thoughts...
Loa is my love god!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:46:17 AM »
There's a darker spot in the centre though, if you zoom in on the picture, with more concentrated pigment.  Regrind doesn't usually present like that, on that color of plastic. It looks too intense, in my estimation.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »
Could be "bridle burn" - discoloration if she was ever wearing the saddle/bridle in her lifetime.  :)  Sunfade her!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:37:42 AM »
There's a darker spot in the centre though, if you zoom in on the picture, with more concentrated pigment.  Regrind doesn't usually present like that, on that color of plastic. It looks too intense, in my estimation.

Personally I have seen regrind form in all manner of different ways - from bright pink to light pink, from a regular intensity with faded outer edges to a darker core and fading out. The breakdown has to start somewhere and then each part reacts with the next - "in theory" eventually the whole pony will convert.

I was coming down against highlighter for the same reason you were coming down against regrind lol! I think its "too intense" for a highligher mark.

Sorry Yuitsu I dont think we have helped...

Best bet is to try and sun fade it - if it fades is a surface mark [such as ink] if it doesnt fade its regrind!
Loa is my love god!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 06:45:24 AM »
"highlighter" is just a term given to the pink marks because of their appearance and is usually caused by a saddle/bridle like lovesbabysquirmy mentioned. Marks may also have come from other toys stored in the same toybox or it might be ink. Try sunfading and if it doesn't work it must be regrind. If you are having to remould and paint her ear anyway it won't be too much more trouble to paint over the mark.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:09 AM »
"highlighter" is just a term given to the pink marks because of their appearance and is usually caused by a saddle/bridle like lovesbabysquirmy mentioned. Marks may also have come from other toys stored in the same toybox or it might be ink. Try sunfading and if it doesn't work it must be regrind. If you are having to remould and paint her ear anyway it won't be too much more trouble to paint over the mark.

Really? Gosh...Well that generalisation makes the term "highligher" make much more sense! Although I am still going to side on the fact that the scale of pink marks on ponies is weird.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Yuitsu

• Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Well it's a bit of help! I'll sit her head in the sun while her tail gets restyled (I need a MIB/Mint photo to look at, I can't tell if it should be waved or curled..) as my lilac purple sculpey is oven bake and I don't want to put her in the oven! Luckily it's only a tiddly bit of sculpy to reshape the very tips :)

I thought maybe she'd had a hat on at some point, which would explain why her other ear is fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal