collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you clean/restore your childhood ponies?

YES! they must look their best :)
33 (36.7%)
NO! The dirt is part of the sentiment :)
9 (10%)
sometimes, depends on the flaw :)
48 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: *POLL* Do you clean/restore your childhood ponies?  (Read 7046 times)

Offline tornadoe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: *POLL* Do you clean/restore your childhood ponies?
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 02:05:35 AM »
for a long time I didn't, b a few years ago I rerooted peppermint crunch with doner hair and she now looks awesome.

In fact when I took her to the ponycon last year someone genuinly thought I had stolen her from someones stall!! yes she looked that good. I have also restored sweet pop and am currently working on lightning, thundercloud and argie butterscotch
Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen cloesly..

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 02:10:49 AM »
I washed some of mine and styled their hair nicer, but those are all things I did when I was a kid anyways.

I am afraid to clean Cherry treats though since she smells so nice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »
I have a Sundance from my childhood I really want to rehair. Her hair was just horrible. I'm trying to find someone to give her a new mane and tail. Give me a PM if your interested :)

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 06:59:07 AM »
I found some pics of my childhood NC Mommy apple delight that I posted on another forum last year. She was in played condition, pending to be considered bait. But I decided to give her a chance and clean her up and restore her(i.e. bleach her severe discolouration). Now she is one of the stars in my herd. :D

Spoiler
If I wouldn't have cleaned her she would have looked like this:

Now she looks like this:

~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Malancaiwen

• Celtic pony
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
I rehaired my childhood spanish baby Lemondrop with original MLP hair (adult lemondrop was the donor) ... oh! How I regret it!

I gave a good haircut to my most beloved ponies but I'll never rehair them now! Only surface cleaning was done.

Offline Emfen

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »
I gave a good haircut to my most beloved ponies but I'll never rehair them now! Only surface cleaning was done.

I never gave any of mine haircuts, nor did my sister it seems. I can't recall a pony we had that had a haircut. :/
But I did rehair Cool Breeze and restore her wings, sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing or not. She had Frizz-deluxe hair, so it looked like a birds nest.

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
Emfen, when you bleached your Mommy Apple Delight did you use actual bleach or another method? I have two ponies who have been impossible to get white, and your results were awesome!

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
I'm still waiting to recover most of my childhood herd from my parents house but the last time I looked through them I don't remember any train wrecks. Most will need a good brushing and maybe light surface washing. I know I had a Sun Glider with a tendancy to develop really tangled hair so that may take a lot of brushing and washing.

The only childhood pony I have with me now is Streaky and I was really surprised to see she was supposed to have gorgeous ringlets! I've had her since before I can remember and her mane and tail have always been braided. I guess my mom did that so Streaky's hair wouldn't get messy. I don't know if I will attempt to reset her curls since I've only ever known her with a braided tail and the colors of her mane in individual braids.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »
Only a good bath and condition hair.  It's not in me to rehair my childhood ponies or do something major to them =)

Offline Emfen

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
Emfen, when you bleached your Mommy Apple Delight did you use actual bleach or another method? I have two ponies who have been impossible to get white, and your results were awesome!
I used an acne cream containing 5% "benzoyl peroxide", it's called Basiron. (Further info in the spoiler)
Spoiler
Ponies that are pure white get slight yellow from it, but it seems some turns completely white(like my NC mommy). I did try some on my count-a-lot too, she got a light yellow stain on her butt instead of a bright pink mark. It works magic on ponies that are off-white, cream or some yellow ponies(sometimes light pink ones too, but it's risky). Other ponies will get light yellow staining. Also treated ponies are light sensitive, so after sticking my mommy in the window for some weeks I kept her in a shady area. My test subject Kiss Curl faded her saddle sores from neon pink to faint pink in strong sunlight under 2 hrs.
I heard that some collectors that used this method on any other color than white have gotten really bleached results (i.e. light stains).
I did use it on a Licketysplit, but I kept her indoors under normal- dim lamp light. It bleaches them a lot slower but the result is great so far.

Thanks, indeed my results were great. But it seems mom needs another treatment, the got slight pink discolouration still on some places. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
wow guys great response!
thanka for all the sweet stories and pics!

i think i should have made another option for the poll
i honestly NEVER thought anyone would rehair or retouch symbols of childhood ponies so maybe i would add that as an option.
the "sometimes" option has so many variations..

i think i may sunfade and clean the hair but thats it. even conditioner would make them smell different and the smell of them is half the sentiment!! :)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:59:06 PM by relcelestia »
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal