collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro getting tough on prototypes on fan sites - Hasbro response page 7  (Read 20773 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
The problem is there is no way to prove what is the truth and what isn't. Just because they are a reasonably large company doesn't automatically mean they always lie and we can never trust them. At least they never slunk around trade events stealing secrets and sued another toy company just because they were outselling them. *coughMattelcough* (I actually like several Mattel products like Monster High but I don't like the way they deal with their competition at all)

I am studying Graphic Design and the University I am going to has internship agreements with Hasbro. When I get enough credits under my belt I sincerely hope to intern there. I highly doubt Mattel would ever dream of even giving the time of day to someone unless they have years and years of experience.  Maybe it is my Rhode Island pride showing but from what I have heard from people that have interned there that it doesn't feel like they are working for a large company.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
I am studying Graphic Design and the University I am going to has internship agreements with Hasbro. When I get enough credits under my belt I sincerely hope to intern there. I highly doubt Mattel would ever dream of even giving the time of day to someone unless they have years and years of experience.
That's where you're wrong Wardah, everyone needs interns! They do all the grunt work no one else wants to do or has time for xD I like to imagine Mattel having tons of little Barbie interns ready to pull their hair out over something silly like what color shoes the new summer barbie should wear :P

But in all seriousness I agree, this is a he says she says situation and the blogger was only ever speculating the incidents were related anyways. No matter which side is true, I think we can all agree Hasbro Australia's legal team overreacted and took steps that were unnecessarily intimating.  I think we should just be more mindful and respectful in the future and no one will have problems.

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Man that Nerf gun story is a strange one.  Very weird legal tactics! 

Anyways, I think toy guns are a little different than ponies, so I don't think anyone should worry. I am betting that the legal team is cracking down on the distribution of unreleased Nerf guns, so they don't get sued. If someone had an untested or unreleased toy and managed to poke their eye out with it somehow, they could look at the gun and say "Hasbro made this" and then turn around and sue them.

I saw a few people were saying things like"everyone knows those Taobao ponies are stolen". I don't think any of us went to China and watched someone shove ponies in their pockets and run out of the factory with them, then saw that same person put their stolen merchandise up for sale on Taobao.  :P

Anyways, I hope that Nerf guy will still enjoy his hobby after all of his troubles.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile

I saw a few people were saying things like"everyone knows those Taobao ponies are stolen". I don't think any of us went to China and watched someone shove ponies in their pockets and run out of the factory with them, then saw that same person put their stolen merchandise up for sale on Taobao.  :P

So you are saying Hasbro is selling those prototypes, test runs and unreleased products to the Chinese market? : P (Or giving them away for free to some random workers?) I'm sorry but most companies don't like it when unreleased products get onto the market. As seen with these Nerf guns. The idea that these products got stolen is a very likely one.

Offline BrightIdea

• View Profile

So you are saying Hasbro is selling those prototypes, test runs and unreleased products to the Chinese market? : P (Or giving them away for free to some random workers?) I'm sorry but most companies don't like it when unreleased products get onto the market. As seen with these Nerf guns. The idea that these products got stolen is a very likely one.

Nope, I am simply saying we don't know anything. (other than Hasbro took legal action on the Nerf guy of course).

Bronley

Nope, I am simply saying we don't know anything. (other than Hasbro took legal action on the Nerf guy of course).
I wouldn't say Hasbro has "taken legal action on the Nerf guy" - some lawyers sent him a letter and then asked him some questions.

Quote from an update by the blogger:
To the best of my knowledge - I have not been "sued".  Hasbro's lawyers issued a letter on 21 March with which I complied.  I then voluntarily took the blog down for a month to ensure I had complied with their request - I was not ordered to do so but wanted to on my own.  I have provided Baker & McKenzie with all of the information that I can - the rest of the information that they are seeking, I do not have.

Offline BrightIdea

• View Profile
I wouldn't say Hasbro has "taken legal action on the Nerf guy" - some lawyers sent him a letter and then asked him some questions.

Quote from an update by the blogger:
To the best of my knowledge - I have not been "sued".  Hasbro's lawyers issued a letter on 21 March with which I complied.  I then voluntarily took the blog down for a month to ensure I had complied with their request - I was not ordered to do so but wanted to on my own.  I have provided Baker & McKenzie with all of the information that I can - the rest of the information that they are seeking, I do not have.

Yes I read this already.  I didn't say they sued him or anything, I thought lawyers sending letters could be a "legal action" of sorts.  Please forgive me for mis-typing then, I am really really reeeallly tired.

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
I think this is a little different. My Little pony designs have already been established whereas someone could easily copy a prototype nerf design and market it as their own.

I can see them firing taobao members for taking company property, so if they're involved with leaking nerf stuff as well as ponies it might cut off our resources.

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile

I just came up with a possibly new theory on this (I don't think anyone has mentioned this before.) Hasbro could be leaking a few unreleased ponies to follow the trail. This reminds me of another situation. I remember an author making distinctive edits in copies of her unpublished novels so she knew exactly who was leaking her story.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com

It could be that it is perfectly acceptable for employees to take home unused prototypes or factory seconds.  My dad used to work for a radio station, and it was perfectly acceptable for him to take home promotional records after they were finished with them at the station.  And he was just the cleaner.  You have NO IDEA what happens in the factory.  Or what is fine or not fine.  Things in China are different to things in America.  I know, I'm in China RIGHT NOW!!  The people are generally speaking very honest.  Stealing is not something people do in the same way as they do in Western countries.  To decorate gardens they use little plastic pot plants that they interchange with different flowers in so they can always be in bloom.  No one ever takes them.  If that happened in Australia, I know for a fact those flowers would be gone over night.  The people in China are (as a rule) very hard working, and they work for next to no money.  You don't think its possible that maybe, factories let them take unwanted or unusual merchandise home for their kids?  Or let them buy the rejected stuff for cost? 

Stop making broad sweeping statements based on how things are done in your country.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile

It could be that it is perfectly acceptable for employees to take home unused prototypes or factory seconds.  My dad used to work for a radio station, and it was perfectly acceptable for him to take home promotional records after they were finished with them at the station.  And he was just the cleaner.  You have NO IDEA what happens in the factory.  Or what is fine or not fine.  Things in China are different to things in America.  I know, I'm in China RIGHT NOW!!  The people are generally speaking very honest.  Stealing is not something people do in the same way as they do in Western countries.  To decorate gardens they use little plastic pot plants that they interchange with different flowers in so they can always be in bloom.  No one ever takes them.  If that happened in Australia, I know for a fact those flowers would be gone over night.  The people in China are (as a rule) very hard working, and they work for next to no money.  You don't think its possible that maybe, factories let them take unwanted or unusual merchandise home for their kids?  Or let them buy the rejected stuff for cost? 

Stop making broad sweeping statements based on how things are done in your country.

Even if they are being allowed to take them home I doubt Hasbro wants them being resold. If anything for the reason that if they are rejects then Hasbro wouldn't want someone to buy one and think that it is standard Hasbro quality. With clothes if they are seconds the tag generally gets snipped out so as not to not reveal the label's name. You kind of can't do that with a pony since even if they scrape off the Hasbro name it is still obvious it is a My Little Pony.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com

Even if they are being allowed to take them home I doubt Hasbro wants them being resold. If anything for the reason that if they are rejects then Hasbro wouldn't want someone to buy one and think that it is standard Hasbro quality. With clothes if they are seconds the tag generally gets snipped out so as not to not reveal the label's name. You kind of can't do that with a pony since even if they scrape off the Hasbro name it is still obvious it is a My Little Pony.

That may be true, and they may not like it.  But I state once again.  They are taking advantage of people because they live in a country with poor human rights.  If they want to take advantage of people, they can only expect to have this happen.  I can tell you right now, if I was earning less in a day than I needed to live, I would also sell factory seconds to help me pay my bills.  It isn't against the law here.  Hasbro knows that.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile

That may be true, and they may not like it.  But I state once again.  They are taking advantage of people because they live in a country with poor human rights.  If they want to take advantage of people, they can only expect to have this happen.  I can tell you right now, if I was earning less in a day than I needed to live, I would also sell factory seconds to help me pay my bills.  It isn't against the law here.  Hasbro knows that.

I have mentioned this before but the companies had no choice to move production overseas. It had gotten too expensive to hire American labor. The system here is fabulously broken. Minimum wage here isn't even enough to live on either. But if they raised minimum wage (which in turn ratchets up all wages) everything would cost more and then the workers still wouldn't be able to afford to live on it. The biggest expense most people have, besides their student loans, is fuel related. No matter if it is gas for their cars, heat for their homes, or electricity (which is generated by fossil fuels) it all comes from the same expensive place. Until we fix those things it will always be too expensive to manufacture here.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile

Sorry but didn't you just make a lot of broad "sweeping statements" either? : /
Yes, it's possible they got those toys "legit" but it is also very much possible they got stolen. Frankly, since Hasbro is hunting these people down i doubt that it is that "perfectly acceptable" to just take products. Some of them, like the boxed Cadance and Shining armor set, are not really unwanted or unusual merchandise either.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Locking as this has been discussed enough.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal