collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Recoloring hair. Food color?  (Read 1511 times)

Valkohai

• Trade Count: (0)
Recoloring hair. Food color?
« on: May 05, 2012, 02:24:15 AM »
Hi there. While most collectors use paint from the tutos and guides I've been watching.. I did not find that certain paint in my country.. so I tried something else. Food color! And I must say I like the results.
 After dip the hair looks quite red but once you let it dry and wash your pony with water the hair becomes pleasant pink. You just gotta make sure you get it rinsed evenly whie dipping. Some food color seems to stay stronger on the roots and when looking closlely you can see it more reddened near the plug holes. Eaitherway.. I have not noticed any displeasing effects on display. I like it.

I also use bleach to clean some of my ponies. I noted that some dirt is very very hard to get off with normal soap and brush.. so I tried bleach. I did not expect it to be gentle and quite frankly I feared it rubs off the eyes and symbols. I used cotton candy sticks to scrub the pony.. and I must say I am pleased. The dirt is getting off and the colors becomes brighter while the symbols and eyes stay on the pony! (I never let the bleach on the pony for long though. As soon as I was done with the painted parts I washed teh pony with water before moving on.) So far.. no paint loss.. I did test on one pony and scrubbed a bit harder witht he cotton stick.. and the paint started to get off.. so while you scrub your pony with bleach.. never press the cotton stick against the pony but gently scrub it and it should be fine and dandy!
 So far.. all ponies eye colors have brightened from dim gray to almost complete black when using bleach. It most likely sounds like it takes outer layer off from the paint but I dunno. I have not noticed any paint loss.. so Im guessing it takes either extremely thin layer or just the dirt that is hard to get off.

Just thought I would share my experiemnts.

How much I've experimented?
 I started to fully collect ponies around November 2011 or so. Since then I've collected 200-300 ponies to this day. Some new, some old as I collect all generations. And I used this combo on everypony old I've gotten. And on all gens. It has made wonders to my collection. Even clean looking ponies became cleaner with bleach. While I've done a lot cleaning with bleach.. the food color thing.. I have done it to 4 ponies and only once. Only "bad" experience was with Honeysuckle. Not picks right now, sorry.. Her hair was very frizzy and dry. It sucked in a lot of color and became quite red. I thought I ruined her completely but decaided to wash her at some point.. and she looks quite nice now though I don't think you should color a pony who has very frizzy and dry hair..
 Honeysuckle is not evenly pink. She has thin stripes of whiter and some stripes redder than others. Not that they are too easy to notice but enough for me to frown at my failuer.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Recoloring hair. Food color?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
Yep food colouring is a good alternative to Rit dye if you can't find it!

Bleach is what I use on reaaaally dirty ponies or ponies that just don't look hygenically clean (like the Puzzlemint I got yesterday with a plaster stuck to her - yuk!) I tend to go over ponies by first brushing hair, then use acetone to remove pen/nail polish/general scuff marks, then rinse, then go over with bathroom cleaner using a toothbrush (Cif at the moment, it works wonders!) I then rinse again, use a Magic Eraser to get rid of any stubborn marks, then condition the hair and let dry on top of my tarantulas cages (it's warm so moisture escapes from the body better) After they are dry if there are any other marks they go into the window for sunfading.

One word of warning though - make sure ponies are totally dry, otherwise they can get tail rust and go mouldy inside!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:05:54 AM by Pinkamena »

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:56:14 AM »
Thats a cute idea...I must admit I haven't heard of food colouring as an alternative to rit for repinking. It looks like you got a nice even but subtle colour all over.

I have heard others using bleach but just a word of warning make sure you thoroughly remove all traces of it from your pony as even the smallest amount will continue to act on the plastic and I have seen some unfortunate colour damage to plastic because of it!

Good luck with your restoration techniques - its so much fun finding ways to restore ponies to their original glory.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline nearlyheadlessnayy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:24:44 AM »
That's a good idea!
I might have to try this on my posey upstairs,
I never thought of this working after I used blue food colouring on my hair to give it a lift when it was fading! With not so good results. :P
*Thanks Tinrobo for my avatar! <3**

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
That's a good idea!
I might have to try this on my posey upstairs,
I never thought of this working after I used blue food colouring on my hair to give it a lift when it was fading! With not so good results. :P

Please tell me your hair is already blue and you didnt add blue hair dye to a random other colour combination lol!
Loa is my love god!

Offline nearlyheadlessnayy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
No it's already blue :P
*Thanks Tinrobo for my avatar! <3**

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »
No it's already blue :P

Cute! That makes sense then!
Loa is my love god!

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
I've never had food coloring take to pony hair before. Maybe the stuff sold here is a bit different?

Valkohai

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:12:56 AM »
I've never had food coloring take to pony hair before. Maybe the stuff sold here is a bit different?

well, I used Swedish food color. I can't find the bottle right now but it said just fine : )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal