collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro getting tough on prototypes on fan sites - Hasbro response page 7  (Read 20774 times)

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
So this is actually a nerf story but as it's Hasbro it seems it may affect our fandom too.

Basically Hasbro sent a legal letter demanding that a Nerf fansite pull down images of prototype/pre-release weapons and advise where they got the images and where they got the weapons they were doing play testing on (Taobao).

http://urbantaggers.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/free-stuff-from-hasbro-story-of-uts.html

An interesting development and I wonder if it's just Hasbro Australia overreacting to one thing or whether this is a new policy worldwide.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:29:09 AM by StarFaerie »
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro getting tough on prototypes on fan sites
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:08:41 AM »
...wow. That seemed rather sneaky and underhanded :(. Worries me about learning about new pony information (and other toys in general). Though... if Hasbro really cared about marketing they really should do it themselves...

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:20 AM »
Hmm that's a little scary on Hasbros part...and a little bit OTT too in my opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »
Wow..thanks for a good read this morning.

It seems a little over the top on Hasbro's part over some Nerf toys. :nuts:   I mean really they send some "goons" to someone's house.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »
It's not just Nerf from what I've heard on other sites...I think the botcon is facing some serious issues too...

I have a few friends who do freelance work for Hasbro that told me this was coming, I'm surprised it was Nerf of all things.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:00:34 AM »
I was kind of waiting for this...like I've said in one of the Taobao threads, I do question the legality of what they're selling.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:14:36 AM »
I was kind of waiting for this...like I've said in one of the Taobao threads, I do question the legality of what they're selling.

But even so, that doesn't give Hasbro the right to go after the buyers. The people who buy the stuff off of Taobao aren't doing anything wrong. I think the real problem is that Hasbro's frustrated that they can't just go into China and sue and/or imprison all the workers who are selling the prototypes & unreleased merchandise on Taobao, so they just go after people who they think they can intimidate and try to make an example out of them. Promising free merchandise in order to get someone's address to sick a lawyer on them is playing dirty.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:17:54 AM »

That's just plain disturbing!

Are they going to start e-mailing MLPA members with Taobao-bought ponies and try and lure us to give up our info for free ponies? I'm suddenly glad I've never had the funds to order things from Taobao to resell. If some creepy strangers were lurking around my apartment I'd call the police.

Also haven't Hasbro reps at pony cons (idk which, dunno anything about them really) said that they read the forums? How can they NOT know about Taobao if that's true? I do not for a second believe they don't know about the :muffin: Pony toys being all over and going for insane prices, if nothing else, and so many auctions I've seen for them say "from Taobao". And wasn't it on EqD? Not hard to find.

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:16 AM »
StarFaerie:  This is totally unrelated to the thread but....I LOVE your avatar!!! Lol....pun intended ;D :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:00:41 AM by MonstarNomNom »
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:40:03 AM »

But even so, that doesn't give Hasbro the right to go after the buyers. The people who buy the stuff off of Taobao aren't doing anything wrong. I think the real problem is that Hasbro's frustrated that they can't just go into China and sue and/or imprison all the workers who are selling the prototypes & unreleased merchandise on Taobao, so they just go after people who they think they can intimidate and try to make an example out of them. Promising free merchandise in order to get someone's address to sick a lawyer on them is playing dirty.

I believe Hasbro may be looking at is as receiving stolen merchandise.  This is why i haven't purchased anything from Taobao, despite wanting it really badly.  There's really no way to know if these items are smuggled out of the factory by employees, thrown away and rescued from the trash (which can still be considered stealing), or are purchased by the workers. Since I don't speak Chinese, I can' t talk directly to the seller. Besides, if they're dishonest enough to publicly sell stolen merchandise, they won't tell me the truth about how they got it.

I'm not surprised this is happening, but I am surprised about the way Hasbro is going about it and that it hasn't happened sooner.

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
It's fair enough that they want to keep their products secret and if they are being stolen they have a right to be concerned and want to track them down, I get all that... but their behaviour sounds seriously shady! Tricking the guy into giving his address then hanging around his apartment without even telling him they were coming?! I'm sure if they'd just been honest in the first place he'd have co-operated with the company that manufactures something that he's obviously passionate about... what terrible practice!

plusleg1rl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »
I prefer to buy official ones in stores. I don't like prototypes, because im always looking for perfect ponies.

xXCosmicBurstXx

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »
Yeah, I think Hasbro needs to go after the people selling the dolls. If the toys are being stolen from the factory then Hasbro needs to tighten up security at the factories itself instead of going after the buyers. Hasbro never released a public statement about the prototypes. I think Hasbro should really make a public statement about the prototypes. Some people may stop buying the items from China if they knew Hasbro's opinion on the matter. I feel so so sorry for this guy.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
Wierd story but on the other hand not that surprising. I don't think Hasbro likes the idea of prototypes/ test runs getting into customers hands.
Perhaps Hasbro could be held responsible if something goes wrong with these toys?

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »

Going after Taobao is a-okay in my opinion. I wouldn't be too happy if someone was selling my stuff behind my back either. And at those prices I'd be really pissed.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder why the guy with the 3D printout ponies and the site that sounds suspiciously familiar to Hasbro hasn't been taken down yet as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal