collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Member ponyadore2614 Scammer - Buyer Beware  (Read 28580 times)

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: Member ponyadore2614 Scammer - Buyer Beware
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
You apparently do not need to have a verified/confirmed Paypal account to receive payments. The only way you can be sure it is her real name is if you are selling something to her and it says "Confirmed" next to the name and address. This means it's been confirmed with the bank that it is a verified shipping address for the user.
Example:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm not sure how else you can check if it is verified since you don't see their address when buying from them.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
In response to the name conversation even if it is "fake" (which I don't think it is if people got it off paypal - if she ever paid anyone that is) it's good to have the fake name as well. Going back to the crime in the newspaper example if someone goes by pseudo names the police beat will state something along the lines of:

Ashley Focker was arrested for stealing cigarettes from a store. She lives at xxx California street. She goes by several pseudo names including: Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and David Copperfield.

So it's still nice to have the pseudo name that people are so sure are fake (although I really think it's real. This girl is not a thinker).

Of course I don't really care that much. I'm just trying to think of ways to help this person not come back. It's SO easy to just made another id, come to this forum and then use the exact same name and address cause no one will be looking out for it.

All she would have to do is join, play low for a month and avoid the people that she already scammed. These people do this because they are sociopaths and really just don't care.

Offline Chi

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
If her IP was banned then she wouldn't be able to rejoin.
...Unless she evaded it, which I'm not sure she'd figure out.

Stuntmang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »
I wouldn't count on her not being smart enough to get around that. It's easy to fake an IP these days, so just remember to be wary about buying high-value items from sellers with low feedback and ask for a picture first.

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
Completely OT, but that gif in your sig is awesome, Stuntmang lol.

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
its not that hard. all you have to do is access the site from a different computer on a different net connection.

Completely OT, but that gif in your sig is awesome, Stuntmang lol.
and I agree with this :)
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

I was actually avoiding this point on purpose just in case scammers aren't aware of the whole ip addy thing.

Offline Chi

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2012, 08:13:21 PM »
I'm sure they're aware, unfortunately. If someone's a scammer on one website, they've probably done it on another and have tried to rejoin some of them. The only thing we can all do at this point is make sure the seller has feedback from trusted members, ask for new pictures and be sure that payments are not sent as a gift in case there are issues.  If you are selling to someone, a confirmed Paypal address would be a bonus as well, but I know that can be harder in some countries than others.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:15:10 PM by Chi »

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »
Just checked out the thread on that certain pony image board, wow someone has been busy!

I checked my etsy records and I sent to the same name being used now back in June 2011. Unless she hasn't changed it in that time I think it is her real name. Her emails don't have that name as the sender though, just initials like G F or D V.

I also notice that account has been deleted since yesterday. :p

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2012, 06:44:18 AM »
This just came up in the thread for help on those who were scammed by Ponyadore, but I thought it was important enough to post here too.

I can't believe we've forgotten about the IC3! Go to ic3.gov and file a complaint. IC3 is the Internet Crimes Complaint Center, a branch of the FBI. They take these reports seriously and do go after the scammer.  Even if you get your money back from PayPal, you should file a report with them. A crime was committed, and she will continue to scam the community unless serious action is taken.

I was scammed on eBay once, filed a complaint, and they caught the guy and sent him to jail 6 years later! I also had the opportunity to attend the court hearings AND file a claim for the amount of money he took from me. The IC3 kept me updated on everything; they even let me know the sentance- 4 years in jail.  And all of this was over a $60 text book.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:51:23 AM by Eskara1862 »

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
I feel bad if it really was her sister :( But I definitely feel worse for everyone who was scammed out of money or ponies. Hope this whole big mess gets sorted out!

Offline xkappax

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Kappacino Creations
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
I hope so too, and quickly. A lot of people lost a lot more money than I did, over multiple sites. So upsetting. :( :(

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
I feel bad if it really was her sister :( But I definitely feel worse for everyone who was scammed out of money or ponies. Hope this whole big mess gets sorted out!

No offense but I really think everyone needs to stop even considering that it's "her sister".

It's just a way to derail any kind of action. It's very silly. Seriously, it doesn't make any sense. I know I wasn't the one scammed but I just think in order to continue on with action these confusing sidetracks of "Maybe it's not her real name" or "Maybe it was her sister" or "Maybe someone broke into her house and used her computer to do scams" are all things that will do nothing but help the scammer.

Please, she's not even trying very hard. She made up a random plan to make it look like it wasn't her by posting that bizarre post with all caps and it backfired.

There's no conspiracy, there's no "other person" and the only victims are the people who are in this thread.

Oh and the only criminal is ponyadore. No one else.

Eskara - That's a great story and excellent advice. I think the victims should take a good look at what you posted.

Offline xkappax

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Kappacino Creations
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »
I don't believe for a moment that it was her sister, considering she's lied to me about everything else since the beginning of this.

You always think about yourself in situations like this and say "what if this was me and what if I were on the receiving end of this and no one was believe me"... but then again, if it were me caught up in this, I certainly wouldn't have posted a troll message. And I certainly would have tried to work with the mods here to catch whoever was impersonating me.

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »
Ditto to everything RPB said!

And, to sooth the conscience of those who may be concerned about a "sister," if you file a report with the IC3, they WILL figure out who was the real scammer and go after the correct person.  Provide the information you have and they will discover the truth behind the most likely non-existant sister.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal