collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When will pony collectors be on "My Strange Obsession"?  (Read 7918 times)

ButtonMasher

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: When will pony collectors be on "My Strange Obsession"?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »
Yeah, I love looking at collections.

I think they need a show simply titled "collectors" and it will be about people's collections. That way it wouldn't only include people who have their entire home dedicated to it.

Actually, there was a show by that title that aired on the ABC (publicly-owned broadcaster) here in Australia for a number of years. It was effectively what you describe. A show about collectors and the things they collect, presented in a friendly documentary format with a host who just seemed fascinated with everything that all these people loved and collected. I really miss it, actually. Very interesting stuff.

Actually, it was the episode of that show about somebody's toy collection that was what made my dad stop complaining about my Transformers when I was in my late teens. "That one I got you when you were a kid is now worth HOW MUCH?! WOW!"

Too much on the tele around this subject nowadays is just shock reality-TV rubbish. "WHOA, get a load of this freak and the crap he fills his house with! Now, feel better about yourself because you aren't like this guy, ho ho!"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:02:15 AM by ButtonMasher »

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 05:23:28 AM »
Buttonmasher - The other problem with shows that may not be about collections but show items and collections (like Pawn Stars) is that they are so misinformed about the value. They quote the value for some of the items so ridiculously that it makes me sick. Then everyone thinks it's true and collectors at home are just shaking their heads.

The "Collectors" show sounds like a good one. I also liked "Cash in the Attic" but one thing that drove me crazy about it was the narrator and the poor quality of the film.

Betelgeuse

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
I dunno but I'd like to be featured for my unicorns... But mockery is a genuine concern with being on a show like that.

Bee-chan

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
Also, I have heard rumors before that they pay people to 'stretch the truth'.

I never watched My Strange Addiction, but some of us have probably seen/heard of the fury episode. I have heard from a few places that the person they had on the show was a fury, but no were near what they portrayed her as on the show. She was perfectly fine with going in public without her fursuit on, but they made her act like she had to. The reason they had her on there was because the other furries they approached refused to be on the show.
I am not sure if this is 100% true or not, but it is pretty sad to think they would pay someone to act like that for someone else's amusement.

I remember that episode. And yeah, they DO make people stretch the truth.

They did that with this one gal I sorta know-ish through the old Turtles fandom. She's a perfectly normal and NOT crazy gal, but they pushed the envelope and made her seem CRAZY!

She said she finally saw the episode, she was totally peeved at them.

beforethequeen

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »
The title of the show is offensive as it is. Even when they try to keep their episodes neutral, things always get out of hand. They are always insulting and those types of shows often end with the subject agreeing to go to therapy. There have been a few shows on television about obsessions, I remember VH1 used to have one. My suggestion to pony collectors: stay away! No matter how you try to portray yourself and your hobby, they will always twist it around because they get higher ratings the weirder the episode is.

I love some of the stuff others are saying, especially about the friendly Australian show about collectors. Something like that sounds pretty safe and really fun. I'd love to watch a show that amicably explores people's various collections!

For now, let's all just happily agree to show each other our massive collections. I demand more pictures of pony rooms!

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
um... hopefully never. i don't see why anyone would want to be on that show anyway o_o
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Bee-chan

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:30 PM »
Hopefully NEVER!

I'd rather see a pony collector on a show like the Travel Channel's, "Toy Hunters" ( new show coming out. It's like American Pickers, but it focuses around TOY COLLECTORS SPECIFICALLY.

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/toy-hunters

It puts us in a better light, and shows that there actually can be and IS serious money in toy collecting.

Jordan actually got a section started on the Travel Channel website for toy collectors to be able to show off their collections, and have them rated by others from around the world! You know I had to do it, and it became an excuse to take updated pictures of my own collections.

First pony collector up there! WOO!

http://my.travelchannel.com/toy-hunters/multigallery.esi ( the main gallery )

And my collection:
http://my.travelchannel.com/toy-hunters/Rate-My-Toy/Bees-collection/detail.esi?oid=28444176

~~Bee

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »
I hope never!

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

It puts us in a better light, and shows that there actually can be and IS serious money in toy collecting.

Sigh. This is exactly the problem I was talking about. Do you REALLY want thousands more people knowing (or thinking they know) about how much we value some ponies? People will be trying to sell McDonalds ponies for 20 bucks! Resellers will start buying every pony they can and there will be nothing left to find in thrift stores or at flea markets! This wouldn't help us...

Face it...if you have parents or someone who is against your collecting, they probably will not change their mind just because they see a collector on TV.  Don't let other people bully you about your collection. If it makes you happy, tell them that and change the subject. I just don't see how showing it to the whole world over the TV will make things better for us. All I see is it making things worse. I really can't support an idea that would or could make collecting more difficult for the whole community...
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline EvilMuffins

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
But for some people, ponies can longer be found at flea markets anyway... I think most of the 'pony well' has dried up already, so to speak....

I only have around 200 ponies so I'd never be picked for a show, but if I was, I'd go for it. I don't really care what people think of me or have anything to lose.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »
I love Toy Hunters! I about dropped my jaw when he found a prototype Boba Fett in Cincinnati at the comic store!  Wow. I will have to keep my eye

Back on topic, I do know that on EQ months ago, bronies were being contacted to be on TV, and somebody uncovered the production company was behind the My Strange Addiction show. This was before My Strange Obsession aired.

I think that any one featured on such shows is done by sideshow value.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
Also, I have heard rumors before that they pay people to 'stretch the truth'.

I never watched My Strange Addiction, but some of us have probably seen/heard of the fury episode. I have heard from a few places that the person they had on the show was a fury, but no were near what they portrayed her as on the show. She was perfectly fine with going in public without her fursuit on, but they made her act like she had to. The reason they had her on there was because the other furries they approached refused to be on the show.
I am not sure if this is 100% true or not, but it is pretty sad to think they would pay someone to act like that for someone else's amusement.

I am a furry and I saw this episode.  I was actually really upset by it, because we found out that she was paid $1500 to lie about the community.  I don't know anyone that must go out in suit all the time and they had to mention one of the negatives about us that could have easily been left out of the whole episode.  Because of how badly that show portrayed furries I would never wish that on someone that collected ponies.

Offline ThriftyPony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Fakie Hideout - Fakie ID Guide & More
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
I have only seen "My Strange Addiction" so far. I want to watch "My Crazy Obsession" though...

I think we have to keep in mind that a lot of people think huge collections of anything are crazy with or without it being televised, so not much can help that. It would be cool for the idea of pony collecting to get some exposure, just to show "haters" (lol) that it's not so uncommon and weird, that other people do collect them. Then again, it may cause a huge change in things -- like the extreme couponing show has really changed couponing rules and cause a lot more people to started using coupons. :/ But that was a whole series. I dunno.

I'd do it, but I don't think my boyfriend would be comfortable with cameras in our home, and I just have a pony closet, not a pony room.

xXCosmicBurstXx

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »
No, I don't want any pony collectors on My Strange Obsession. I've only seen a couple of episodes of the show, and only two of the people sort of freaked me out. I love the Cabbage Patch couple. They went out of their way to name every doll in their collection. Which I find adorable. I also like the cat people. Who doesn't like a house full of cat stuff? The show does tend to mock collectors. I think the guy with the oval office might be able to sell his house for a good bit of money. I'm sure someone would be willing to spend a crap load of money for their own oval office. -.-   

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »
Sigh. This is exactly the problem I was talking about. Do you REALLY want thousands more people knowing (or thinking they know) about how much we value some ponies? People will be trying to sell McDonalds ponies for 20 bucks! Resellers will start buying every pony they can and there will be nothing left to find in thrift stores or at flea markets! This wouldn't help us...

Toy Hunters featured toys that most people would know are collectible. Like Star Wars.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal