collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When will pony collectors be on "My Strange Obsession"?  (Read 7846 times)

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: When will pony collectors be on "My Strange Obsession"?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »
I would absolutely be on that show if they paid well enough, I don't care if people know how much I love ponies :)  I probably don't have quite enough to qualify though since I only have a 1 bedroom apartment and therefore no dedicated pony room.  But yeah, making money talking about something I love? Sign me up!

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »
I really like keeping the collecting community on the downlow, personally. I mean, we're 'out there' enough with the FiM fad as it is. :/ I just don't feel like we need to go on national television and talk about how much some of our little ponies are worth...can't you imagine what that could do? You'd never ever find ponies second hand again - they'd all be going to flea markets or ebay with starting prices of $50 each or something.

Why not just be content with how things are without letting the whole world know? Be happy with your collection and that you can still add to it from thrift stores and the like without resellers buying everything up and trying to sell it for crazy prices.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
I know MustBeJewel made a documentary about pony collectors called "My Little Obsession" if that's what you're talking about Salpy.  I personally haven't seen it, but I hear it is a must for any collectors.   
Sorry Zetta, I've been reading a lot of things wrong lately!!  I think it's from spending so much time working on the computer, my brain is being eaten away (by zombie ponies).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
Knitgirl - That's the spirit! If any of these people get any kind of backlash it's not the shows fault, it's the person giving them crap. I can't imagine carrot lady going into a store and getting made fun of. Maybe someone will ask for a picture but seriously, the show isn't THAT popular and the people aren't made fun of on it.

PinkRoseDust - I know what you mean but on the Cabbage Patch kids they never so much as mentioned one price for any of the dolls. They just said what they paid for the entire collection including the buildings they stored them in.

If they went too much into the price I'd be with you on that. At the most, it would create a phase were people pony hunt but it would die out because sellers would realize it's not actually worth the time and effort to try and buy and resell ponies for a living.

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
I'll never understand why some people feel the need to insult collectors.
Collecting is such a fun hobby, it's completely harmless (hopefully!), a neat way to pass the time, & makes people happy. The thrill of the hunt in particular! :3  I can't imagine not having any passions in life, it must be awful.
I wouldn't be on the show personally though; I'm seriously lacking in the confidence department. xD
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
I wouldn't want to be on TV for anything, to be honest...

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »
I can see MLP collecting being on a show like that someday. I enjoy watching programs about collectors of anything really, and I know many others who find it fascinating (in a non-mocking way).

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
Yeah, I love looking at collections.

I think they need a show simply titled "collectors" and it will be about people's collections. That way it wouldn't only include people who have their entire home dedicated to it.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
I don't find the show itself to be negative towards the featured individuals, but if you poke around internet searches, blogs, youtube and the like, there is plenty of backlash out there.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Zest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
I don't find the show itself to be negative towards the featured individuals, but if you poke around internet searches, blogs, youtube and the like, there is plenty of backlash out there.

^Yes, this!
One thing I really hate about the internet is that because of the lack of face-to-face interaction, people take it as an excuse to be bigger asses to one another. :(

I've seen the show with other people, and their comments are no where near as hurtful or even negative as they are online.
That said I have to admit I was totally thinking what if there was a pony collector episode? xD But then I thought about it more and I really don't think I could imagine any pony collectors doing that.
* ~ * ~ * Looking for: TAF Yum Yum and Buttons and Spanish Piggies! * ~ * ~ *

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »
I'll admit, I would accept if someone offered me a chance to be on the show.  I am at a point where I really need to get rid of my toys, but I have a hard time letting go.  It might be the kick in the tail I need to actually work on getting rid of all this stuff and not buy any more toys :P   

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
Yeah I don't think I would wanna go on a show like that either....
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline babyblueducky

• That's Quacktastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • That's quack-tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »
the episode with the cabbage patch kids, their collection was 5,000 dolls. which would mean that they would have to own one of each doll ever since they came out til nowish. does anyone actually have 5,000 or more individual ponies? since there are many playsets and too hard to have every piece of accessory to make it be an obsession of owning every mlp item known. if there turns out to be someone who does, that would be a very interesting and exciting show to see all those ponies.

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »
Technically there has already been someone on there who identifies as a 'brony' though they werent on the show for ponies...

I wouldnt go on that show if they paid me money! The people are always shown so negatively :(

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
I really like keeping the collecting community on the downlow, personally. I mean, we're 'out there' enough with the FiM fad as it is. :/ I just don't feel like we need to go on national television and talk about how much some of our little ponies are worth...can't you imagine what that could do? You'd never ever find ponies second hand again - they'd all be going to flea markets or ebay with starting prices of $50 each or something.

Why not just be content with how things are without letting the whole world know? Be happy with your collection and that you can still add to it from thrift stores and the like without resellers buying everything up and trying to sell it for crazy prices.

This.  While I love sharing my collection with people I know and other collectors, I'd rather not tell the whole world - and watch every secondhand pony possibility dry up.  Plus, I don't like to open myself up to being made fun of.  But that's just me.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal