collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When will pony collectors be on "My Strange Obsession"?  (Read 7843 times)

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
When will pony collectors be on "My Strange Obsession"?
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »
I see all these photos of "pony rooms" and can envision some of these being on the show.

But maybe to be on an episode you need to have your whole house covered in ponies?

Either way, someone needs to contact the show!

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: When will pony collectors be on "My Strange Obsession"?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
The big question is "Do you REALLY want to be on that show?".
If you go on a show like that, you get laughed at and not everybody can take that.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
its not something i'd want to be on. i get made fun of enough for collecting ponies. and to have pony collectors be in that kind of light, doesn't sound too good. i'm speaking for myself though of course. i don't like when people make fun of me for collecting "children's toys" or "wasting money on crap"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ZettaMomo

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
I am not sure about some of you guys, but if I was offered to be on that show I would politely decline. I like seeing people show off their collection as much as any other pony collector, but I feel like those shows more intend to 'make fun' of the people that are on there.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »
i'd probably be offended if they asked me to be on it

ZettaMomo

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
Also, I have heard rumors before that they pay people to 'stretch the truth'.

I never watched My Strange Addiction, but some of us have probably seen/heard of the fury episode. I have heard from a few places that the person they had on the show was a fury, but no were near what they portrayed her as on the show. She was perfectly fine with going in public without her fursuit on, but they made her act like she had to. The reason they had her on there was because the other furries they approached refused to be on the show.
I am not sure if this is 100% true or not, but it is pretty sad to think they would pay someone to act like that for someone else's amusement.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:44 AM »
I am not sure about some of you guys, but if I was offered to be on that show I would politely decline. I like seeing people show off their collection as much as any other pony collector, but I feel like those shows more intend to 'make fun' of the people that are on there.
For real?!  You were offered to be on the show?  That is wild:) 
Pony collecting is hot right now, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone does the show.  I just hope they don't mock our community, the show really portrays these people as being insane freaks.

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
I wouldn't want us to be.  Each collector that ends up on that show has their collection belittled and the comments are terribly offensive!  I think it's sweet that people collect things - it's NOT cool to make fun of them for building a playground for their dolls or dusting their carrot collectibles, or arranging their NASCAR cars in "historical race moments".  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
If it makes you happy, and doesn't infringe on the rights or freedoms of others, I say go for it.  We all get a limited time to spend living our lives, why not live them in whatever way makes you happiest?  I wouldn't want to be on that show either; the backlash against the featured individuals is awful.  I doubt I'm "extreme" enough to meet their standards anyways. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
Well first off, My Strange Addiction and My Strange Obsession are completely different. On the addiction one the premise is that they need "help".

On the obsession one it's very lighthearted. Sure some people are more cooky than others but in my opinion they aren't making fun of anyone. I think the show is done very well and I love seeing all the collections.

For 80% of the time the episode is like this:

1. Introduction to person & Collection

2. Person enjoying collection

3. History/reason of collection

4. Person hunting for something need for collection.

5. Person finds what they were looking for.

I very much enjoy the show. Yes, some people have problems with money but some are fairly secure and have a reasonable life.

However, I do agree that they probably ask the person to do something a little more nutty than what they would normally do. Like on the cabbage patch one, I doubt that guy actually brought that doll everywhere. I think he just did it for the camera.

I'm sure it will happen soon enough though. I mean, there is the Cabbage Patch one so there will be more 80s toy collectors.

ZettaMomo

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »
For real?!  You were offered to be on the show?  That is wild:) 
Pony collecting is hot right now, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone does the show.  I just hope they don't mock our community, the show really portrays these people as being insane freaks.
No, I wasn't offered to be on the show. I said if I was I would decline. :P
Sorry if I typed that wrong.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »
Isn't there already a documentary called "My Little Obsession"? :P Pony collectors are so hardcore, they get their own movie.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
funny you should say this... someone's just asked me to be on the local news with my ponies!!!!! :faint:

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:22 AM »
Maybe MLP collecting just isn't strange enough to get on there. ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
I wouldn't want us to be.  Each collector that ends up on that show has their collection belittled and the comments are terribly offensive!  I think it's sweet that people collect things - it's NOT cool to make fun of them for building a playground for their dolls or dusting their carrot collectibles, or arranging their NASCAR cars in "historical race moments".  :(

Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean they have their collections belittled? Do you mean on the show? I always thought the narrator was fairly monotone.

I'm not really aware of any backlash either. Do you guys mean on forums?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal