collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I find this a bit offensive..  (Read 10525 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I find this a bit offensive..
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 08:00:30 AM »
Yeah, but the difference is, the staff here doesn't actually approve of the hateful stuff said here, even though they can't catch it all. Besides, I'm personally really disappointed because I had hoped through FiM, people would come together, especially when FiM fans started saying things like "love and tolerance" and I thought maybe if they now realized it's OK to like stuff that others don't like or look down on, they'd be more understanding, but instead they're demonstrating exactly the opposite, and suggesting that only the thing they like is legitimate. They don't have to like anything other than FiM just like I don't have to like anything other that FiM and G1, but instead of mutual respect, they're just dividing us.

This is exactly what happened in the Sonic the Hedgehog fan community around 2000, and that still hasn't gone away.

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »
The viewers for that webpage mostly do not like other gens. They don't have to. It's a cute joke. That's all. Why bring it over here to complain about? Let them be. I didn't see them singling us out, but we have to single them out?

There is plenty of hate on stuff here anyway. It's not like this forum is full of love either.

I don't really see what's cute about the joke. It just seems to be there to make people mad.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Adoptable made by me

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
Well, I can see how it's just an april fool's joke and not meant to be taken seriously, but tbh I didn't like it much myself either. I check ED almost every day for FiM news, but I really don't see how it's necessary to go out of your way to offend collectors of older gens like this. There are plenty of other fun april fool's jokes you can make!

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with only liking Gen4. I have plenty of brony-friends who don't care about older gens at all and really, I'm so happy they like the current incarnation of MLP!! :D But saying or implying that other gens are inferior... I don't know. If that's your opinion fine, but don't go imposing it on others. EQD knows very well how much influence they have on the brony-fanbase. I'm just disappointed they thought this was okay, especially seeing their reaction when their part of the MLP world gets offended.

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »
A light-hearted joke for April Fool's, okay, I get that
The only thing I have to say: yet bronys speak of "love and tolerance" and "why can't we all get along"...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
The real April Fools' joke was the "Love and Tolerance", it seems... :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
A light-hearted joke for April Fool's, okay, I get that
The only thing I have to say: yet bronys speak of "love and tolerance" and "why can't we all get along"...

But keep in mind that, just like those of us who like all generations, not all bronys are into the "love and tolerance" meme, and not all bronys react with revulsion to previous generations. They're as varied as we are. After all, I consider myself one of them. It is also probably true, on the reaction to this banner, that only those who have something to say about it are posting; those who aren't about to scream bloody murder about past generations probably won't feel inclined to post at all, so the comments will be weighted toward the negative because those who aren't put off by it aren't bothering to post. :)

Again, guys, chill: they're not insulting collectors of older gens. No person is being directly insulted here.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

DJ Midli

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »
Hurray, thinly vieled "Let's-hate-on-the-bronies-thread".

Honestly, I don't think sethisto did it to "Insult" or "Offend" the previous generation collectors, he's just aware that some bronie s dislike the prior gens and decided to feed off of that. Poor taste in regards to prior gen collectors, yes, meant to intentionally insult and offend, no.

Also if you notice, most of the harshest jokes are aimed at the 3.5 cartoon, which, as far as Im aware was pretty universally disliked. The lighter jokes are about g1-2 such as the silly pony song.

Finally, after having gone through most of the comments, while yes there are some bronies making harsh statements, you will notice alot of them are either rolling with it, or chiding seth for the oh so obvious nature of the april fools joke. Don't paint the herd of us by a few bad apples among us :) !

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 08:22:23 AM »
Oh man, Equestria Daily...

Sure they do some nice things like report on new merch and livestreams and stuff, but they need to get their act together.  Sure, this April fools is kind of in bad taste, but I am more concerned about the competence of their writing staff/whoever is in charge.

News should be unbiased, yet I constantly see phrases like "in my opinion..." , "I think this is a bad idea" or "hippo ponies" in their news articles. That plus every time they report on new ponies they say stuff like "I have no idea what's real or fake on Taobao these days" or title an article "Neat :muffin: Pony Knockoff" without doing more research.

I feel all embarrassed for them when I read their articles >_<

Offline MrPony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 08:23:13 AM »
I don`t like older gens being an issue for them. Why hate one group of ponies? Especially the ones who paved the way for the current line? On the other hand this forum`s member treat bronies like they have no value, so I guess the groups spread equal hate. I go to both boards every morning.

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »
I was dissapointed because I love EqD and visit it frequently. But, as they say, a few bad apples spoils the bunch.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »
I want to know if they got permission from the DA artist who made the custom of G1 Twilight Sparkle before linking to it in their little "oh ho ho, other generations are so bad!" post.

Because if not, that is unbelievably rude and, frankly, pretty mean.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:26:59 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »
I'm also wondering if they have permission to use the picture's on there o-o

I know cranberry Muffin and the two pony heads are from this thread: http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=260629.html

I don't know if this girl has a DA because I tried searching for Cranberry Muffin over there but I didn't get any result

and the Paradise picture is from this artist: http://nyaasu.deviantart.com/gallery/6091544#/d4gs44w

Adoptable made by me

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 08:34:11 AM »
You don't make fun of other people and things they like "accidentally" DJ Midli. And as you said, they're aware of the various attitudes in the general pony fan community, and fanning those parts that aren't so friendly isn't funny.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
I just take it in stride.  I know we don't like to talk us vs them, but if you take the regular visitors to this forum and compare it to the regular visitors of EQD, I don't think there is as much overlap as you think, so yeah, it's a teeny bit us vs them, and "they" like ponees in a different way.

it's all okay to me, different folks like different things, that's what the internet is like.  at least it's SFW. XD

(notwithstanding copyright/image using issues, which should be addressed)

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »
I don`t like older gens being an issue for them. Why hate one group of flowers? Especially the ones who paved the way for the current line? On the other hand this forum`s member treat collector ponies like they have no value, so I guess the groups spread equal hate. I go to both boards every morning.

Yeah, there's hate and intolerance from both sides, and I've noticed a distinct lack of respect for the brony side of things over here plenty of times (although granted, it isn't encouraged over here), which is disappointing because I consider myself a member of both communities.  Again, bad apples spoiling the rest of the bunch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal