collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 MLP Comics  (Read 7080 times)

FlyingPonyMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
G1 MLP Comics
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
Hello!!

So I have lots of these but dont know much about them!

How many issues where there?
Are any more hard to find?
My little pony and friends - when were these released and how many we're there?

Any other interesting information?

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: G1 MLP Comics
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
I haven't seen them in the US.

I hope someone can tell you more!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
I think there are 220?? Or so issues of the original comic.... Mlp and friends first came out in 1987 as I have the 1st issue from childhood :)

Apparently the later issues are the rarest :)

Average price for a comic is £2 each, £3/4 each for the mlp and friends comics.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
I bought a few issues of these comics recently and I LOVE them, they are so darling.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »
I bought a few issues of these comics recently and I LOVE them, they are so darling.

Aren't they! :lovey:

I have 5 issues of mlp and friends from childhood and I bought about 15 of the original mlp comics off eBay last week .... It's weird because when I look through them I swear I can remember reading them as a kid :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
I think it's 223 for the original comic, and somewhere in the 50s (?) for MLP and Friends :)

For the original comic, anything over about 150 tends to be hard to find, with 200+ being very hard to find. There were some recently that went very high (I may have been partially at fault for that, and I still didn't win!!). For the friends ones, anything up to about 20 is relatively easy to find, and like the original comics, the later they are the harder to find.

I think the UK seems to be the main source, but there are also comics in Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Argentina (I think) and Sweden, and I don't think that list is exhaustive! It tends to be the same pictures as the UK comics, but with different text. There aren't as many internationally.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47:44 PM »
The original comic series actual goes to 224. I bought a large lot (nearly a complete series) of the UK comics & split them with a friend. I've had #224 in my hands, but now it belongs to my friend. ;)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:36:30 AM »
There are some later issues on eBay at the moment currently up to £21! (each)

I was tempted but I don't have the money at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:33:10 AM by moonflower »

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »
where is Lancer?  She is the expert.  And the one that is selling/has sold the £21 one. 

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 04:19:38 AM »
Ah, 224! *amends own file*.... although I might have known that already and just didn't check :blush:

Ooooh, is it Lancer that's selling? There was one that went to £28 as well that ended the other day. I have a fairly substantial collection myself - nearly 200 of the original comics in English (I have 32 to get ;) ) plus some in Dutch, German and Portuguese and nearly 40 of the Friends ones. Still trying to fill in the gaps though! The ones I have to find aren't easy to come by :(

My favourite piece though is the Newsagents Order form which has it's own little comic about the comic! :)

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 04:36:37 AM »
I'm here!  I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert though, I just collect them obsessively.  I'm only eight issues away from completing both sets now...well, as far as I know. :P

I have never heard of issue 224 before so if anybody has a photo, I would love to see.  223 dates from Christmas 1993 and has no "coming next time" segment.  Not sure how long MLP & Friends continued.  The last issue I have is issue 51 from October 1994, but who knows what else is out there?  Later issues of MLP & Friends ONLY included MLPs (I guess the "friends" like Glo Friends, Potato Head Kids and Fairy Tail Birds had been discontinued by that point), but they still kept the two comics running for some reason.  MLP & Friends issues have more pages than the regular MLP comic.

And yes, those were mine on e-Bay last night.  Well, technically they were my mum's.  I only got her a small Mother's Day gift this year as I couldn't think of anything she wanted.  She needs new glasses though, so I gave her a few duplicate MLP comics to sell on e-Bay to "help her towards paying for them".  Needless to say, she was very pleased with the prices she got!  I have a few more ending on e-Bay later this week which I'm selling myself.  I had no idea those later issues could fetch such high prices!  Glad I got all of mine in lots years ago! o_0

Offline gallifreyan_pony

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 05:29:49 AM »
There are also at least a few Summer Special editions, which were more expensive and had glossy covers.

I put scans of the covers of the issues I have and some of the free gifts on the wiki a while back if anyone's interested: http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Comic_Books

Offline Lancer

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »
There are also at least a few Summer Special editions, which were more expensive and had glossy covers.

Yes, I forgot to mention those!  There were spring, summer and winter specials in 1986, and then I think they had summer specials most years after that.  The 1986 ones have unique stories and puzzles in them, but a lot of the later editions are just compilations of stories from the regular comic.

There were at least a couple of poster specials too, one in 1987 and another in 1993.  I've never seen the 1993 one but it is advertised in one of the later issues.

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »

Yes, I forgot to mention those!  There were spring, summer and winter specials in 1986, and then I think they had summer specials most years after that.  The 1986 ones have unique stories and puzzles in them, but a lot of the later editions are just compilations of stories from the regular comic.

There were at least a couple of poster specials too, one in 1987 and another in 1993.  I've never seen the 1993 one but it is advertised in one of the later issues.

According to my list I have summer special (1987), Winter special (1987), Spring Special (1986), Summer Special (1992), Holiday Special (1993), Summer Special (1991), plus a Summer Special for MLP and Friends. Are there any others? I need to know what I'm missing, lol!

There's also a bonus comic in #114, and at least two poster magazines (I have 1 and 2, but not sure if there are more!)

In German I have a Sonderheft 1 (I presume that means there are more?), and in Dutch Verhalenboek 1 and Omnibus 1 (again, I presume there are more)

I need to file some of my later additions this weekend actually - I'm rather looking forward to it! :)

Offline Lancer

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »
According to my list I have summer special (1987), Winter special (1987), Spring Special (1986), Summer Special (1992), Holiday Special (1993), Summer Special (1991), plus a Summer Special for MLP and Friends. Are there any others? I need to know what I'm missing, lol!

There's also a bonus comic in #114, and at least two poster magazines (I have 1 and 2, but not sure if there are more!)

In German I have a Sonderheft 1 (I presume that means there are more?), and in Dutch Verhalenboek 1 and Omnibus 1 (again, I presume there are more)

I need to file some of my later additions this weekend actually - I'm rather looking forward to it! :)

I have Spring, Summer and Winter 1986 and Summer 1988, 1990 and 1991.  I haven't even started on the European comics yet! :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal