collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Newbie Questions about Customizing G1 Ponies  (Read 2610 times)

mylittlechalkpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie Questions about Customizing G1 Ponies
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »
Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before; I'm having trouble searching the boards.  I have G1 ponies from when I was a child and I recently pulled them out for a craft project.  The more I looked into customizing them, the more I seemed to find posts saying not to mess with the ones from the 80s.

Here is a link showing the condition of my ponies:
http://imgur.com/a/DKic4#.T3PXoN22ElU.email

Are there any that I should definitely leave alone?

Two (Cherry Treats and Party Time) have sharpie/marker on them (not sure if you can see it in the photos).

Thanks!

KiwiSquirtBottle

Re: Newbie Questions about Customizing G1 Ponies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
They are your ponies and you can do whatever you'd like with them.

That being said, looking at them fairly quickly, they all look to be in fairly decent condition and I personally wouldn't touch them for customs. If you'd like to customize, I'm sure there are lots of people here (myself included) that would be happy to trade you ponies in much worse condition which aren't saveable in exchange for the ones you have. Or you could get some on evilBay or other places.

If they were mine, I'd clean them up (even the ones with sharpie most likely can be saved) and keep 'em or sell 'em or trade 'em or.... I personally wouldn't custom those particular ponies.

Boy ponies are usually hard to find, as are wingers who still have their original wings. I'd only customize if they were missing limbs or a face, or were otherwise not restorable.

But again, they're yours to do with as you will. Good luck! ♥
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:04:36 PM by KiwiSquirtBottle »

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »
Im new to customs but from what I have learned here I would agree with Kiwi (plus I would kill for some of those ponies you have!!)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:14:26 PM »
Waaant poooonies XD  I would add that I wouldn't customize those personlly.  That would make it that manyfewer 80s ponies in good condition.  Definitely look for ones in bad condition to customize.  C
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
None of those are common. Some of them are worth a far bit of money.

If you only want baits, you could put these ponies up for sale, and buy a ton of baits with the money you would make.

Just make sure you wouldn't have any regrets from selling your childhood ponies. They look like they will clean up nicely.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »

Those ponies all look completely fine, some possibly pretty minty but with the photo quality its hard to tell. Please don't destroy them. Those ponies are nowhere near bait condition for a G1. Sell/trade them if you don't want them.

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
your ponies look nnicer than alot of mine in my collection.  I usally go for hairless symboless ponies... I would sunfade the marks off, but not cherry treats, she burns... so sad. :<  I just really want a nice white cherries for my cherry army!
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »
Such nice ponies!!
Much to nice to bait, you should try and find more baity candidates :3
I would die of happieness if I had a Twinkler THAT purple<3<3
Please spare her! :lovey:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:28:09 PM by Whoa1234 »

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
None of those ponies look baity and some of them are quite sought after. Especially TAF Buttons, the boys and the wingers.

I'd sell these and find some baity ponies. If possible use G3s instead since they're super cheap and very common.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:29:38 PM by WickedWonderland »

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »
I wouldnt bait those ponies either. They are your ponies but if you decide to trade or sell them. Just make sure you dont feel like you will regret it. I have plenty of bait G3s to trade. But very little G1 baits just a tiny bit. I mostly use the newer generations for customizing.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
your ponies look nnicer than alot of mine in my collection.  I usally go for hairless symboless ponies... I would sunfade the marks off, but not cherry treats, she burns... so sad. :<  I just really want a nice white cherries for my cherry army!

This.
Also, if you decide to sell, drop me a PM *hint hint* ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:35:49 PM by TwistedWindSox »

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »
I agree with what everyone has said. You have some ponies that look very, very nice there, and many that are not common. If you truly don't want them, pleeeeeease sell or trade them. Lots of people would LOVE to have these ponies in their collections as is! Good condition G1s are not easy to find these days. G3s are pretty similar to G1s...if you wanted to trade for bait, you could get a TON of G3 baits for all those nice ponies!

In general it is frowned upon to customize any G1...though there are some that, if they are less desirable/more common and in really bad shape, then most people won't mind you customizing them. But for the most part I certainly prefer that G1s be left alone. There are way more G3s and at this time, an endless supply of G4s that you can go after. =)
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
You would most likely devalue or lose money on any of those ponies if you customized them. They are in great shape. Those ones with the wings are quite hard to find with wings unbroken. Unless you're some famous holy everybody love you artist you shouldn't customize any G1 that's uncommon and in this good of shape. If you don't want them, sell them and the money you get will pay for tons of baits. Also keep in mine there are some fakies that come in Hasbro molds. You could use a crumpet pose fakie in place of the pony with the mirror and its the exact same mold. An original Mirror Mirror is hard to find without half her symbol rubbed off so yours isn't bait.

mylittlechalkpony

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I will definitely put some of these up for sale/trade; I was thinking about customizing them so that I could have them out and about, but be sort of different at the same time.

If they are ones other people could love as is though I would rather they get a good home - my experiments can definitely happen on less valued ponies.

For those of you who asked I'll make sure to PM you about the ones that I am willing to part with.

If anyone saw one they would love to have feel free to send me a message and I get you better photos.

Thanks again!f

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:27 PM »
Oh do drop me a pm!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal