collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Taobao?  (Read 13151 times)

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you pronounce Taobao?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »
Yup tow-bow with the "ow" as in c"ow".
Reading it as dao is something completely American when non-speakers have problems pronouncing the words correctly.  Chinese may have different accents, but we pronounce our words pretty much the same way. Dao and Tao mean very different things and refer to very different Chinese characters. ^.^
Taobao means (at least the way I direct translate it) mischievious baby, but in a cute and endearing way. Bao can also mean precious or refer to a treasure, so there's a bit of  a word play going on I guess.
Is that why, when Google translates it, it keeps asking me to "Search for baby"?
Yes. XD
Also when you try to translate pages it says "Favorite Baby" "Baby details" "Baby Category" "View all Baby" "View the members of the baby's view" and then the search bar at the top says "Looking for what baby?" :drunk:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »
Reading it as dao is something completely American when non-speakers have problems pronouncing the words correctly.  Chinese may have different accents, but we pronounce our words pretty much the same way. Dao and Tao mean very different things and refer to very different Chinese characters. ^.^
Taobao means (at least the way I direct translate it) mischievious baby, but in a cute and endearing way. Bao can also mean precious or refer to a treasure, so there's a bit of  a word play going on I guess.
Is that why, when Google translates it, it keeps asking me to "Search for baby"?
Yes. XD
Also when you try to translate pages it says "Favorite Baby" "Baby details" "Baby Category" "View all Baby" "View the members of the baby's view" and then the search bar at the top says "Looking for what baby?" :drunk:
I wonder if Angelina Jolie knows about this site?

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »
Yes. XD
I wonder if Angelina Jolie knows about this site?

So now she not only wants another baby, but at factory prices?

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

toralei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
Well, the chinese letters for it are "淘宝" (táo bǎo) which would be tau bau or something like that. It rhymes with "ow".
But I'm not really sure, since I'm pronouncing it in chinese lol

Yes, that's correct  :)

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
Tow-Bow
Okay!  Thanks everyone!

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
lol!! This thread was SO confusing to me. I kept thinking of a ribbon bow every time I read "bow".
I think I got it now.
Tow-Bow rhymes with ow as in ouch. XD

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
What an awesome topic! can some of you elaborate a bit on how T in Tao is supposed to sound, like give a word with a similar sound (not necessarily in english, any indo-european language + japanese would help :P)

~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
What an awesome topic! can some of you elaborate a bit on how T in Tao is supposed to sound, like give a word with a similar sound (not necessarily in english, any indo-european language + japanese would help :P )

I believe it's "ts", like if you try to say t and s as the same time, as it's really one sound. I don't actually speak a language that uses this sound (at least, no words are coming to mind), but my boyfriend takes Mandarin so he's explained this sound to me before.

I'm sure it depends on what region of China someone is from too, because even two people who are ostensibly speaking (non-academic) Mandarin can have such differing accents that they find it difficult to understand each other. There are many regional dialects and languages as well :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:12:25 PM by babystarz »

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
yep thats true about the different dialects and accents. the tone you say it in can make a difference to the meaning as well . I dont know any Mandarin though. I know some Cantonese, which uses the traditional chinese characters but the language and  tones are different to Mandarin    :)
 So ok. Tow -bow.  :awake:    Thankies for clearing that up :heart:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »
How now brown cow taobao. That's how I've been saying it. =D
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
Thanks guys, i at least have an idea now ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »
I'm learning Cantonese right now but I can't say I would know because I'm only learning verbal from the Pimsleur program.  I'm not even supposed to look up how words look written down until I learn to speak like the native speaker. It's hard.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:14:22 PM by HavACrumpet452 »

Offline Malancaiwen

• Celtic pony
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 04:38:30 AM »
I have no idea how it should prononced in cantonese but in standard mandarin it's definitely the same sound as in "cow"

Someone mentionned about Tsingtao beer, don't let this fool you as the correct pinyin (english caracters for chinese) would be "qing dao" so of couse, the beer and taobao should not sound the same.

the t and b sound in taobao are standard.

Also, in 淘宝 (taobao), 宝 (bao) means treasure and 淘 (tao) means looking for, stumble upon, littleraly meaning "looking for treasures" :)

Chinese is a very nice language to learn! Takes time but it's worth it :p everything has a reason, every little stroke carries different meaning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal