collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Will G4 Ponies have color fading issue like the Breezies????  (Read 5153 times)

Offline xdartfrogx

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I love my frogs and geckos!
    • View Profile
Will G4 Ponies have color fading issue like the Breezies????
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »
This just came across my mind when responding to a Breezies post.

I have noticed that the Breezies ponies 2005 era all suffer from light heads and dark bodies. It seems to be inevitable due to what type of plastic they're made out of. Now the question:

Does anyone know if the G4 ponies are made out of the same plastic as the Breezies?

I am beginning to wonder if collecting MIB/MIP G4's is worth spending the money. I want the ponies to be complete sets, and their bodies to look brand new- hence why I keep them in their boxes. If they are going to fade, I should probably stop collecting them now. I find the difference in the Breezies coloring to be very unappealing and I fear the idea of the G4's following their path.  :(

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
Re: Will G4 Ponies have color fading issue like the Breezies????
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
I dunno what types of plastic they are made out of, but they have a head/body mismatch in package already because of the heads and bodies being different. I have plenty of G4s that have the mismatch from the time I pulled them out of the packaging, mostly the darker pink/purple ponies (Twilight Sparkle and Feathermay, for example). Often times the lighter ponies do suffer from this as well (Rarity has been known to have the difference), but I don't notice it nearly as much.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
Never mind in years to come...so many G4 already have head body mismatches when they are brand new on shelves...its because the heads and bodies are being made separately and with different plastic batches...

All plastic will break down with time [a lot of time!!!] as you know but as the G4 pattern is a distinct "body mould" with "head mould" the chances are plastics may degrade/fade/change at a different pattern and different pace so the odds of heads and bodies matching forever are not great.

Perhaps the best idea is to restrict yourself to the ponies which have the least issues to start with - so avoid any pony in the purple/pink range [lol thats about 75% of them]
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
they fade quite fast, i guess the discoloration instores is because fading too.

aednatia just posted this:
Here is a picture of a faded pinkie pie.. sorry the quality isn't good but you can still see the fading.. This is 7 day in a south (northern hemi) facing window, full sun all seven days. I learned that you should fade the tummy first and then the sides and fade the head facing toward- then away instead of side to side.. cause the huge ears create shadows. Pinkie Pie was another G4 lucky enough to have a matching head and body although here they don't look it, I think the head fades just a bit slower and will be getting more time.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

its quite scary, right?
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline xdartfrogx

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I love my frogs and geckos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
Never mind in years to come...so many G4 already have head body mismatches when they are brand new on shelves...its because the heads and bodies are being made separately and with different plastic batches...

All plastic will break down with time [a lot of time!!!] as you know but as the G4 pattern is a distinct "body mould" with "head mould" the chances are plastics may degrade/fade/change at a different pattern and different pace so the odds of heads and bodies matching forever are not great.

Perhaps the best idea is to restrict yourself to the ponies which have the least issues to start with - so avoid any pony in the purple/pink range [lol thats about 75% of them]

Lol I'm really not a fan of the pink/purple bodies to begin with, unless it's a G1 :) In the G4 sector, I'm favoring fluttershy, rainbowdash, applejack, and honeybuzz atm. I did happen to like Lulu Luck enough to pick her up though :) There's just too much pink/purple ponies to begin with and just not eye candy to me :P I have seen the mismatched bodies, but it really makes me wonder if the plastics will degrade and look as bad as the Breezies a few years from now. Wonder if I should consult Hasbro on this one? Think they'd respond?

Emuel: That is quite interesting! At least they can be sunfaded for customizing!! Bwahahahaha!!!!!!! I just hope they don't degrade MIP when stored properly. If I wanted bait, I would buy em used ya know?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »
It would be disappointing to think they could fade as fast but I would gather from emuels picture not to mention the over all poor quality control/manufacture the odds of fading would be likely!

You could try Hasbro but in all honesty I dont think their customer support is all that much help to anyone [at least from personal experience]...they seldom know much about the details of a product...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
You could try Hasbro but in all honesty I dont think their customer support is all that much help to anyone [at least from personal experience]...they seldom know much about the details of a product...

They haven't been much help for me either but it definitely wouldn't hurt to try!

prowlsgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
I bought a Rainbowdash today to use her as a bait to make a Wind Whistler and notice too her head is a different shade then her body.  Granted her head is right shade I need for Wind Whistler.  I'm tempted to take her head off and just sunfade her body to match.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
I almost wanna say that the heads of G4 ponies are made of a totally different plastic than the bodies. It's much softer! I've seen a few G4 Rainbow Dashes, and their heads seem to be more of a green blue while their bodies are a warmer blue.

cesprins

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
Oh my gosh, after just 7 days? I'm never letting my g4s see the light of day!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
I have no doubt, since they are different batches of plastic and will age differently.

How fast, and how drastic, is unknown.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline KtKat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
There are all sorts of coloring issues!  My W2 Cheerilee with bangs has a way more intense hue from the raised leg Cheerilee from the CMC set.

Lon-san

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
There are all sorts of coloring issues!  My W2 Cheerilee with bangs has a way more intense hue from the raised leg Cheerilee from the CMC set.

That one might have been conscience decision, though. Maybe they thought she was too dark?

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »
Don't keep your G4s in darkness either.

I've ruined like 6+ (some normal brushables and the entire molded hair gift set) by thinking they could last in a drawer. >.< My ponies went from very, very minimal head/body mismatch to mismatch you can notice from across the room in a matter of days sitting in drawers. I also had all my G4s in a bag for less than 24 hours and those on the bottom were affected and had their bodies darken/head lighten or something.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 01:54:09 AM »
I've only got one G4 single, Twilight, and her body is a bit more pinkish/purple than her head.
I do want to ask though, I'm keen to collect the Fashion Style ponies and I was wondering if they suffer colour changes at all? I've only got two so far (gah, restock already!) and I'm keeping them MIB, still in the Big W bag in fact because I have no space to display yet (gotta put up shelves lol)... has anyone had a Fashion Style pony colour mismatch? Mine are perfect right now and I wanna keep them like that.
It might be that they are made of the same plastic all over, I wouldn't know I've never touched them lol, just stared lovingly at them in their boxes.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal