collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So Frustrated With G4  (Read 8531 times)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
So Frustrated With G4
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
Does anyone else feel this way? 

I can't find Cherry Pie or Diamond Rose anywhere.  All that's anywhere is the older waves and the main 6 with luggage.  And now I hear the next line is the main 6 with wedding invitations? SO. BORING.

I hope we see the Star Dreams set soon, but Fun at the Fair never arrived here so I'm not sure we ever will.   I really want to see new characters, and soon.  I'm worried that the "Save the Date Spring 2012" is just referring to the show's finale, not when the new line of toys (and new characters) will be released.

I can't buy G4s online.  They are just so prone to being gross with lopsided eyes that I have to pick out each pony IRL after looking them over in their packaging carefully.  Even this is no guarantee that I will get a good pony, as the last one I bought had marks all over her bottom legs that weren't visible in the packaging.  I have been unable to purchase Glimmer Wing Rarity and Glimmer Wing Rainbow Dash because every single one of them that I've seen has had lopsided eyes or stained legs or smudged symbols or what-have-you.  The other day, I saw a Plumsweet with smudged eyelashes, leaving black streaks on her face.  Really?
Both of the blind bag Roselucks I have have scrapes to their paint and marks of brown discoloration on them.  G3s were made so much better than this, there's really no comparison.  Of course I've bought and seen G3s with issues but it was never "every other pony" common.

Lack of characters, boring releases, and abysmal quality control are just really frustrating me right now and I'm finding it difficult to maintain interest in ponies at all.   Sometimes I feel alone in this, especially on the arena, because there will always be people saying that "they're just children's toys, don't expect them to be good-quality" but...G3s were.  G1s were.  Why is it wrong to expect the same from G4?  Why is it considered bad or silly to want something I like and collect to be good quality and interesting?

:huh:

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: So Frustrated With G4
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »
I know the frustration!  What a mess!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »
I've never run into quality issues with my G4s thank goodness. I am frustrated about how slow the blind bags are to get to the U.S. =P Thank goodness I was able to trade with someone recently for Big Mac or I'd probly have to wait two years for him to get here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
I am a bit frustrated myself... I have two of my 3 Glimmer Wing ponies with big glue globs in the ends of their tails and just recently acquired a Rainbow Dash with a big glob of glue in her mane.  You can't see those things in the packages!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
You are definitely not alone!  *hugs*  I've basically given up on buying G4 toys (well, except for a few I really want, like Lyra).  It's a shame that while such a high-quality show is ongoing, such low-quality toys are being churned out from the factory.

I still can't get over the fact that there are basically only two molds, the "standing still" mold and the "standing still with one leg bent" mold.   Yaaaawn.

Yes, they're children's toys, but I think little kids also deserve high quality toys, especially with a toy where it would be so easy to do it "right."  I mean, think about the average Transformer toy--all those moving parts, all those different paint applications, and it has to fold up properly to turn into a jet or car.  And Hasbro does THAT all right, don't they?   And yet somehow they are completely baffled when it comes to printing eyes on straight and not smearing dirt all over ponies?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
I haven't had issues with quality control, maybe I'm just not very picky.  Though, the mismatch body/head colors on Twilight Sparkle are annoying.

However, I am getting extremely frustrated with not getting in any new stock.  I have 2 Walmarts, a Target and a TRU in my area and I get frustrated when I have to drive around to different stores just to find empty shelves again.  Walmart is still on the last wave before the luggage ponies,  Target only just got in some luggage ponies (not Cherry Pie or Diamond Rose or Rainbow Dash), and TRU has had empty shelves for months.  I was highly excited for the train set and I can find the main set everywhere but I can't find the additional cars anywhere!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »
I don't know if it helps, but the Luggage ponies have two separate waves (one with the Mane 6, and one with Cherry Pie and Diamond Rose swapped out for Fluttershy and somepony else). So if you at least have ponies with suitcases in your stores, the new ones shouldn't be far off. :D

Offline Oak23

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://kd-230692.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
Well Australia still is on Wave 3 as America is nearish Wave 6 with Diamond Rose and Cherry Pie.

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
I haven't seen the 2 new ones at all. Target only has a few of the luggage ponies mixed in with some older ones. Walmart only has the last set with the DVDs and they are overflowing! I don't think they will put anything new out for awhile with the shelves so packed. It looks like no one is buying them. :( At this rate they won't show until Christmas!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
As much as I agree there is a QC issue...and I cant argue that paying for anything and not getting it in an acceptable condition is simply not on...I do understand a little of the reason for it and I think its all about price point...

These ponies are £5 in the UK and $5ish in the states...thats a low purchase point for any toy in fact MLP brushables are one of the cheapest toy options in my supermarkets. These are "pocket money" toys or the kind of price that many a mum or dad doesnt mind adding one to the supermarket trolley as they do their weekly/monthly shop. A price bracket that isnt too painful.

Back in the 80s MLP in the UK were £3.99 [and some even £4.99]...this makes them an expensive toy - the kind of toy that were "birthday" or special presents or that you would have to save up pocket money to obtain.

Yes, the price of many consumables has decreased but these are still the same toys getting made in the same Chinese factories and as a giant corporation Hasbro will still be after the same [if not more] profit percentage on these toys now as they would in the 80s. Therefore, if they cant charge as much now [which they clearly cant as £3.99 in the 80s equates to much more than the £5 now] as they used to they need to cut corners - smaller ponies, less high quality manufacture, less unique poses [less moulds]...simply put the ponies of yesteryear are made to a higher standard than those now...

So all in..yes I get the disappointment when there are major issues like glue in hair but at the same time, when I am collecting G4 and because I am no where near as fussy with this format as I am with G1 etc, I can cope with a little less QC for the lower price but thats just me!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
Generally, I love G4-- it got me back into MLP, but I'm not without my complaints. I suppose I'm in the camp of those who would like to see more besides the mane six, but at the same time, not being willing to buy them every time a different version comes out saves me a lot of money!

But I am very certainly completely with those who would like to see more poses and general variation. We are still pretty early in the generation, at least, so at least there's plenty to come. Personally, I'm optimistic!

Besides, the arrival of blind bags has given me something to tide me over, though the only one I have left to get in the first set that I REALLY want is glitter Rainbow Dash...
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »
I know, I'm upset about not being able to find Diamond Rose and Cherry Pie as well.  Not to mention all the best ponies are in Europe and I'm stuck in freaking America.  Star Swirl and Skywishes...  Ugh! :(

Generally, I love G4-- it got me back into MLP

Same here.  If it weren't for Friendship is Magic, I never would have given the franchise another chance.

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
I agree with you!
I am up to date with all teh current releases ( except diamond rose and cherry pie) and most of them have the head/body mismatch thing going on. I don't check for quality because when I see new ponies, there is usually just one each, and I don't want to risk not finding them again. Afterall, why should we purchase something in fear of it not looking correct? Hasbro should up the quality control.

Look at the first release of Princess Luna! Hasbro released her knowing that she
A: Has derp eyes
and
B: Has a mold with eye indents that don't fit her eyes so it looks like she hasn't slept in 1000 years.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
I agree with you!
I am up to date with all teh current releases ( except diamond rose and cherry pie) and most of them have the head/body mismatch thing going on. I don't check for quality because when I see new ponies, there is usually just one each, and I don't want to risk not finding them again. Afterall, why should we purchase something in fear of it not looking correct? Hasbro should up the quality control.

Look at the first release of Princess Luna! Hasbro released her knowing that she
A: Has derp eyes
and
B: Has a mold with eye indents that don't fit her eyes so it looks like she hasn't slept in 1000 years.
Haha I think even they realize that Luna looks... special, because the Shine Bright and Fashion Style versions have fixed eyes. xD

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
As much as I agree there is a QC issue...and I cant argue that paying for anything and not getting it in an acceptable condition is simply not on...I do understand a little of the reason for it and I think its all about price point...

These ponies are £5 in the UK and $5ish in the states...thats a low purchase point for any toy in fact MLP brushables are one of the cheapest toy options in my supermarkets. These are "pocket money" toys or the kind of price that many a mum or dad doesnt mind adding one to the supermarket trolley as they do their weekly/monthly shop. A price bracket that isnt too painful.

Back in the 80s MLP in the UK were £3.99 [and some even £4.99]...this makes them an expensive toy - the kind of toy that were "birthday" or special presents or that you would have to save up pocket money to obtain.

Yes, the price of many consumables has decreased but these are still the same toys getting made in the same Chinese factories and as a giant corporation Hasbro will still be after the same [if not more] profit percentage on these toys now as they would in the 80s. Therefore, if they cant charge as much now [which they clearly cant as £3.99 in the 80s equates to much more than the £5 now] as they used to they need to cut corners - smaller ponies, less high quality manufacture, less unique poses [less moulds]...simply put the ponies of yesteryear are made to a higher standard than those now...

So all in..yes I get the disappointment when there are major issues like glue in hair but at the same time, when I am collecting G4 and because I am no where near as fussy with this format as I am with G1 etc, I can cope with a little less QC for the lower price but thats just me!

If you adjust for inflation, a $5 G1 back in 1988 cost almost $10 ($9.60) today. While the G4s are small, and some people have run into QC issues (not me), they're definitely priced to sell.

I've yet to find reason to complain about G4s. The line isn't even two years old, and in G3, pegs didn't show up till late in 2004. Right now, we have Glimmer Wings, wave one launched with pegs and unicorns, we've got Fashion Style alicorns, oodles of small playsets, the styling Princesses, a PP alicorn mold, and a handful of Celestia molds. Later this year we're getting a zebra and Nightmare Moon, too That's enough for me.

Though, I'd seriously like to see some fashion styles who aren't affiliated with the show. And some plushies that don't make me gag.

I have a blag about ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal