collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mailing things from and around Australia.  (Read 2046 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Mailing things from and around Australia.
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »
Okay I've been browsing about on the Oz post webpage and i couldn't really see a straight forward price list. I have some things that I might sell... But how do I know how much to charge? I don't want to under charge or over charge to avoid any kind of drama. :blink:

Post Merge: March 19, 2012, 10:32:28 PM

Okay I've been browsing about on the Oz post webpage and i couldn't really see a straight forward price list. I have some things that I might sell... But how do I know how much to charge? I don't want to under charge or over charge to avoid any kind of drama. :blink:
most of what I have to sell is stuffed toys, should those be sent in a well padded envelope... or a box? I did look at the aus post and well. The prices are down right murder to post internationally x_X
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:32:28 PM by bagheera86 »

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Mailing things from and around Australia.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »
I take it you found the calculator  http://auspost.com.au/products-and-services/postage-assessment-calculator.html

Yep postage is a rip off internationally. With stuffed animals, I unstuff them and put them in a bag or poster roll. Unstuffing lightens the load a lot.

Remember also there is now an extra $9 charge for parcels over 500g to the US for "security checks" which sucks terribly.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:41:30 PM »
I'm surprised your reply didn't give me a stroke. >_<

hikari_amaya

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:28:44 AM »
>> i wonder how much it would cost to send you a pony...

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:54:29 AM »
well someone sent me a childs shoe box filled with peanuts and stable mates, that cost them $8 to post.

hikari_amaya

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:16:30 AM »
hmmmm xD

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:20:49 AM »
i live in the us, and the price people in australia pay to have things shipped to them is often more than what they paid for the item!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
It's like mlpfan said the postage is often more than the item itself.  It's crazy anymore  :blink: 

And I doubt it will get any better. :cry:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
mlpfan: The remarkable thing is, even then usually it is actually cheaper to get things shipped here than to ship them out. It maketh no sense!

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
I wonder what's driving the price up :/  it's gonna be hard to run an e-store like this. do you think the post office will object to me taking items in personally? How do the ebayers do it?

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
Yes you can take items personally to  the PO to be weighed, but if you are going to be selling quite a few items then I would recommend getting a digital scale -a kitchen scale is fine ;)  that way, you can weigh the item in either a box or bubble envelope (depending on what you are sending) to get a pretty accurate weight, and then use the Aus  PO site shipping calculator to work out how much the item will cost to send (or near enough. add a little extra to the weight of the parcel for any extra bubble wrap, packaging etc).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
Yes you can take items personally to  the PO to be weighed, but if you are going to be selling quite a few items then I would recommend getting a digital scale -a kitchen scale is fine ;)  that way, you can weigh the item in either a box or bubble envelope (depending on what you are sending) to get a pretty accurate weight, and then use the Aus  PO site shipping calculator to work out how much the item will cost to send (or near enough. add a little extra to the weight of the parcel for any extra bubble wrap, packaging etc).
yeah that sounds good. I'll do just that! I have a rather large item, and then a really- really heavy item but it's small so that's got me a little worried. The stuffed animals I have, i'm just afraid about squashing them because I hate it when I get squished ones as well!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
Our shipping prices to overseas is insane - prices to here from the US can be a bit insane at times, but it can be ok depending on the item, how available it is over here as well as if it's a good price, it may be worth paying the postage on it.

I have purchased & sold alot overseas, and I feel terrible charging like $40 for postage on something that was purchased for about $5 or so, it really depends on if they buyer is happy to fork out the cash or not.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
yeah.. none of the things I have for sale is rare at all... Well I have dorothy the dinosaur's tail to sell. That's the only unique thing I have so far xD so how do you find out your prices before shipping? i've been looking on the thing and well... It's just for individual suburbs. Though the overseas one is kinda easier.  is there any countries you guys recommend I don't ship too?

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »
Within Australia you can use the prepaid Satchels which have a fixed price.

http://auspost.com.au/personal/prepaid-parcel-post-satchels.html
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal