collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you feel about unboxing older ponies?  (Read 5443 times)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about unboxing older ponies?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »
I think it's a personal decision.  I think many would do it for bad/damaged packaging - especially water damage. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Opions differ so much on this subject. I can see why people do not like to hear about opening MOC pony's, but i can also understand why one would un-MOC it ;)

I did both. I opened some MOC argies and it felt góóóód.  :nod:  But yea, the value gets much lower offcourse. I don't regret doing it, though.

I have some other ponies who are still in their plastics (isn't that a fun expression?!  :shifty: ). I made the choice not to open them, don't really know why. I like the idea of hanging the cards on the wall like they did in stores. That's pretty much why i keep some MOC, now. I want my own little pony store when i have my own house one day :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
I think it's foolish.   I have heard " . . . and I will never sell her so it doesn't matter" so many times, but there are SO few collectors left from when I started collecting.  The fact is, most of us will not collect ponies forever.   The interest fades, people do indeed sell off their collections, and, oh look, instead of an amazing piece of pony nostalgia that brings back memories of rows of brand new ponies on pegs at TRU or K-Mart, there is a pony + backcard + accessories who is just like scads of mint ponies opened in the 80s.

Sure, it's personal choice.  But an unwise personal choice, IMO, and a personal choice I have seen many people come to regret when the bills come due.

(This is in reference to G1 ponies . . . With G3 ponies the box design doesn't actually keep out dust--there are gaps at the top--and the boxes are all samey-wamey clip-arty, so I doubt it makes much of a difference.   I don't know enough about G2 ponies to comment on them.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
I never plan on opening a g1 MOC/MIB and that's primarily because if I ever get a chance to have the money to buy one I would be buying it just for that.. to still be in the original packaging. There's something very appealing to me about stuff being mint in original packaging and its been that way even outside of ponies. I think the reason why I like the idea of g1s still in their box is because of their age.. to think of something that's been around for that long, let alone a toy and managed passing through all those childrens hands without being opened amazes me and fascinates me at the same time. And with so few left... I think I might start drooling lol. To each their own though, I do understand the urge to open things.. I have about 35 g3s still in their boxes staring me in the face! And those aren't even that old!
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »
I would only open the the pony if the card or box was in very poor condition.
The thing is I don't think I would ever buy a MOC/MIB G1/G2 pony just for the sake that I like to be able to have mine out to brush and all that fun stuff.  :lol:

I think it comes down to a personal choice and kind of depends on how rare the pony is.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
I'd keep her in her box for a while and go on the hunt for her loose, then start searching for her accessories. They're out there, you just may have to hunt for them for a while! Then you'll have the best of both worlds :). That being said, she's your pony. You paid your hard earned $$ for her and if you want to open her up, go for it! Anyone who'd give you grief for that is not someone worth paying attention to, IMO.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

MissSleepless

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »
I deliberately try not to buy MOC/MIB. I would contantly be on the fence on whether to open them or not, I probably wouldn't but it'd drive me mad. And how beat up does a box or card have to be to deem in no longer valuable? So many factors!

So it's safer for me to buy loose.  I also take great delight in restoring played with toys. My house is like a toy retirement home. So for those mint in box girls to just come swishing in ...well that'd be unfair. ;)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
I would only open a G1 in a box/on a card if their packaging was damaged or was damaging them. I'm not going to judge someone for opening a MIB/MOC G1 unless like they bait it or otherwise destroy/harm it or the packaging was in amazing condition. I'm not gonna yell at them but I will cry behind the screen.

However, bagged ponies? Open them all!!! In my opinion, bags are hideous and keeping bagged ponies is dumb. Boxes and cards have beautiful art and the ponies are kept in one position (unless the box/card is damaged), while in bags they roll around and make a mess of their hair. I opened a G1 November Chrysanthemum. She's amazing and I loved the experience, and I will treasure her forever (yes, even if I stop collecting there are a few ponies I WILL keep forever). However her hair is a mess from being in a bag for 30 years and her card thing left marks on her (as in it damaged her).

As for G2s I feel pretty much the same. I want to buy a G2 Sundance/Sunsparkle I don't have and open her. :D Obviously I'll try and look for one with a bad bubble, but if its cheap I'm not gonna care.

Slight edit OL1
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:22:58 PM by Oneleo1 »

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
Even if I could afford one, I would try not to purchase MOC/B G1 pony at all--other than a clearly bad box where she'd need to be removed anyway-- because I know there are those who would love to have it stay mint in box and who would derive great pleasure from that. If that was the only way I could get a desired pony, though, finances aside, I'd probably offer it up for trade for a loose mint one w/ accessories and fair compensation for value difference of MIB vs loose (and would probably keep her MIB for quite a while while trying to find a match)

That being said, I feel *really* strongly about this: YOUR PONY, YOUR CHOICE! And if anyone wants to give you grief about it,well, IMHO  that's just... wrong.  :P  *Sips beer from Ming Vase* (JK!!! lol)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
I don't generally like seeing them deboxed. I don't collect MOCs but others do, so I think it's sad to, in a sense, deprive those collectors of what they really like. I think it's kinder to find the pony you want in mint condition but loose - which may take years for some, but is usually possible. And generally cheaper too. And if you want accessories too, well...doesn't the thrill of hunting for them just make it that much more fun? =D

That said, several years ago I did open a few G2s. They weren't that old at the time, and I didn't feel too bad about it then (I had some reservations but did eventually make up my mind to do it with a few), and honestly, I am glad I did it...but I don't know if I could do it now. I still have a few MOC G2s hanging around and I am unsure what I want to do with them.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
G1 and G2 ponies I personally will not decard. I would rather sell them and get a loose one that is NM :)

G3 and newer I have no issues deboxing decarding because they are much more common than the G1 and G2 ponies :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »
Toys are meant to be played with! I'd unbox her but keep the packaging as intact as possible.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
I'd only do it if the package was damaged.

I love my MOC Raincurl and wouldn't dream of opening her - her curls are perfect! The card does have a Goldilocks offer sticker on it though that I really want to scrap off :P It's crooked and in the way! I (probably) wouldn't actually do that but it really annoys me >_<

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »
I agree it is a personal choice. If the card is in bad condition, I would say free the pony.

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
Hm Well ,my box is definitely in almost perfect condition... And She cost me less MIB than the loose one I've seen yet...

Adoptable made by me

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal