collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you feel about unboxing older ponies?  (Read 5445 times)

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
How do you feel about unboxing older ponies?
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
So how do you guys feel about unboxing older ponies (mostly G1 and G2)?

I know there is a thread about if you HAVE unboxed a G1 pony, but I wanted to know what you think about others unboxing older ponies.

I just recently purchased my childhood favourite pony MOC (G2) and I don't know if I should unbox her or let her be. I bought her MOC because she is one of the only ponies where I want the accessories included, I don't usually care for accessories. I really love my ponies loose so i can display them together, but I don't know if I should unbox my recently purchased beauty...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:32:44 PM by amenoo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Adoptable made by me

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Hoe do you feel about unboxing older ponies?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
I think it is very much a personal choice... with my favourite G1 girl I have both MIB and loose versions..the non boxed girl is pretty mint.

Depends on how rare the pony is, what state the box is in and what your preference is I say :)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about unboxing older ponies?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
Seems like Personal preference. I say that if you know its the pony that you'll keep till the very end, open it! If you plan on holding onto it for a while and then selling it off eventually in case of an emergency or some sort, keep it boxed.
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
    • View Profile
Re: Hoe do you feel about unboxing older ponies?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
Hehe, I know who you're talking about  :P

For me, it depends on several factors:

1. Which pony it is, and the relative value (G1's being the most valuable)
2. The condition of the box/card
3. My future plans for the pony (i.e. will I keep it forever, or will I eventually sell?)

If you would be happier being able to touch and play with the pony, and you plan to keep her, then go right ahead and un-box. It's your pony and you should get the most enjoyment out of her that you can. Keep in mind that the value of MOC G2's might appreciate in the future (and it might not, it's impossible to know), so if you do think you might sell, then you may be better off not un-boxing if future profit is a concern for you. On the other hand, there seem to be a lot more MOC G2-G4 than G1 because people were already seriously collecting when those generations came out, so there's no shortage and that will impact the value negatively.

Personally, if I know I will be tempted to un-box a pony that I feel I shouldn't because the pony is rare MOC, I buy a duplicate loose pony :P It's more expensive, sure, but I've regretted some (not all) un-boxing I've done in the past and this gives me the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:40:32 PM by babystarz »

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
I know a friend who just bought a Posey MOC just to decard her. Mainly because she wants one to have all her original accessories and wants to experience decarding a pony that she keeps for the rest of her life. I think it's nice, and if I found a good deal on a pony that had a damaged card but wasn't damaged herself, I'd open it! It's not like I plan to ever resell my ponies...And eeee ponies with their original tail ribbons! <3  :)

But if it was something like MOC Mimic...Then that's a whole different story!

However, I do plan to buy a MOC G2 Sky Skimmer and keep her on card..Mainly because she's a childhood pony but also brings back some weird memories... *shrug*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:41:46 PM by Flitter »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Hehe, I know who you're talking about  :P

hehe she's my Childhood sweetheart and she is so gorgeous Mint *O* and with her accessories<3

Adoptable made by me

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
I do admit, If I got a good conditioned MOC pony, I'd open her. But only one. If their packaging is falling apart, I'll open it. I'd actually take all of them out, but keep their packaging in good condition.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
This is always a hot topic whenever it comes up.

Personally I always come down on the "its a personal decision"...if it is your pony you are certainly entitled to debox it...just dont expect a lot of love from a lot of people on it! Lol...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »
G2s: fair game... G1s: please no :yikes: I will trade with you if you like, but please think before opening, as g1s moc are going to be pretty much non existant soon ;)

Obviously your pony, your choice....
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

toralei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »
I think I would sell a MOC if I came across one to someone who would appreciate it and get a minty pony that was loose with the money from that.... I love combing hair and taking pictures/setting up little scenes with my ponies... There are different types of collectors and I think that someone else would cherish it more than me

now i feel like i'm rambling off topic  :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:23:47 PM by toralei »

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
Like some others have said, all down to personal choice.

I personally would never be able to debox any G1 or uncommon G2 unless the box was falling apart - I don't see the 'joy' of touching a pony out of box first regardless, heh ^^'

Plus, I'm in the minority that most ponies look better in box than out. But of course, like I said, a personal choice and all a matter of opinion :)

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
I know a friend who just bought a Posey MOC just to decard her. Mainly because she wants one to have all her original accessories and wants to experience decarding a pony that she keeps for the rest of her life. I think it's nice, and if I found a good deal on a pony that had a damaged card but wasn't damaged herself, I'd open it! It's not like I plan to ever resell my ponies...And eeee ponies with their original tail ribbons! <3  :)

Oh look, that's me you're talking about~

Yeah, I found a MOC Posey (that should arrive tomorrow actually, eeee) and I do play on decarding her. Main reasons for doing so are I genuinely want Posey + all of her accessories for display.. I don't plan on ever selling her. And well, from the image on the auction her bubble looked very yellowed (can barely tell her hair is pink) and there's either a cut or a crease to part of the card itself.. and if there's gonna be problems with the card.. might as well open her! (Though I do plan on framing the card/sticker(not peeled off the backing of course!) when I can).

I also have a policy of freeing all toys from plastic prisons (unless it is something exceedingly rare like a MOC Mimic or a MOC really rare Nirvana with the card/box in AMAZING condition).. as I love to display them on a shelf and play with them, brush them, take pictures of them, so it certainly up to whoever buys the thing.

Edit: I should also point out it's not like I paid a fortune for her. Probably about as much as I find loose ones, with problems + the shipping.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:35:14 PM by IcySparkle »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
I generally unbox/decard G1 stuff I buy *holds up flame shield*
Before you all incinerate me, it's usually Pony Wear, and preferably with trashed bubbles/worn or damaged cards.  I just like having all the pieces.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
I think it's definitely a personal choice... There is only one, well two, that I want MOC/MIB and that is SS Wind Whistler and NSS Wind Whistler.  I have enough of her loose that I wouldn't feel the need to free them because they would be perfect for my army as is.  Now, if it was someone I didn't have... say... MOC Fizzy... I would promptly find someone else to take her off my hands before I gave in to the urge to free her because I can't hardly stand to see them in their packaging.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »
remember that the most expensive things that are collectible are MIB! if you remove her from the box you remove alot of value both now and future, but if you dont care about that and just want her to play  with or sit on a shelf then go ahead and unbox her, it is all up to you
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal