collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Digital Drawing Help? :c  (Read 1168 times)

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Digital Drawing Help? :c
« on: March 13, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
Ok, so I have a drawing tablet (Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch) but I don't use it very often because I don't have a drawing program/software/ect. that I like. I usually use Sumo Paint, I tried out Pixlr Editor today, and I've tried other online drawing sites, but I haven't found one that I truly enjoy. I'm willing to buy a software, but I have no clue what would be the best software to buy. What do you use? What would you recommend?
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Arkillian

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Digital Drawing Help? :c
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »
Alot of people seem to like GIMP, but if you like a more traditional finish, Artrage is a great program which is very close to traditional media. Gimp I believe is a free version of Photoshop. No sure, but that's what I've heard.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:52:22 PM »
GIMP is not related to Photoshop; however, they both do much the same tasks and have similar tools.  I use PS Creative Suite, but GIMP is an admirable substitute for those on a budget.  If you find you enjoy digital work you can always try a free trial or Adobe Elements, which is quite reasonably priced.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline JigglesTheCat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
Alot of people seem to like GIMP, but if you like a more traditional finish, Artrage is a great program which is very close to traditional media. Gimp I believe is a free version of Photoshop. No sure, but that's what I've heard.

Thanks for the help! I've used GIMP a few years ago for image editing, so I'm a little familiar with it. I'll try Artrage if I'm not a fan of GIMP :)

GIMP is not related to Photoshop; however, they both do much the same tasks and have similar tools.  I use PS Creative Suite, but GIMP is an admirable substitute for those on a budget.  If you find you enjoy digital work you can always try a free trial or Adobe Elements, which is quite reasonably priced.

I'll check those out, too! :3
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »
All I've ever used is Photoshop.  I like it very much, but it's definitely expensive.  I only have it because I got to borrow the installation CD when my mom's work bought it...  :ninja:  I've heard great things about Gimp but have never heard of Artrage before.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »
I've heard that Paint Tool Sai gives MUCH better lines than Photoshop does, although I'm not the drawing sort of artist so I can't say for sure. I believe it pretty affordable, around $60 I think? And of course it has a free trial.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:22:15 AM »
I use Photoshop, Illustrator (which isn't a necessity if you're not into working with things like typography and designs and stuff) and paint tool SAI, SAI being my favourite.
you can do all kinds of stuff with both PS and SAI, and get about the same results, but I prefer SAI for lineart anytime.

I wouldn't recommend Gimp or any other free program, really.
another free program, tho, is paint.NET
gimp and paint.net works, but... nah- doesn't really cut it.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »
i have a bamboo fun thing too, my came with the full version (i think? nothing is missing) of photo shop and something else, I prefer photo shop because that's all i've ever used and i'm too lazy/scared to try to understand naother because of my learning difficulties (i just can't pay attention, i just have the 'IT'S TOO HARD' mentality)

you might want to practice with your tablet other wise your lines will be a bit squiggly like mine were, and layers are your friend :D

Shimmer

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 01:30:31 AM »
Paint tool sai (homepage: http://systemax.jp/en/sai/ )  is indeed great, the only downside is that it only supports RGB mode (can't open grayscale, gif cmyk artworks etc) it costs around 50-60USD and I highly reccomend trying the trial!
Gimp (homepage: http://www.gimp.org/ ) is good and as said earlier - free! But it can be a hassle to get a tablet to work with it.
MyPaint (homepage: http://mypaint.intilinux.com/ ) is fun to doodle in and it's also free (a tip is to concept draw and finalize in another program)
Paint.Net (homepage: http://www.getpaint.net/ ) is also good, especially to save pixelart with transparent background (something gimp has trouble doing).

I wonder why my text keeps getting smaller and smaller as I type :/
Good luck with your tablet and everyone: don't underestimate free programs!

Arkillian

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:43 AM »
Sorry- I meant that alot of people I know use Sai ^^; Gimp is ok if you have a budget, but sometimes having a budget to throw at something better is a better option.

PrincessKnight

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 05:05:47 AM »
I generally use Photoshop but switched to Paint Tool Sai recently and it's a great program for drawing/painting. And yes, the lines are much nicer than in photoshop. Stabilizers, yay.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »
Thanks for the help guys! ^_^

Ok, I'll go ahead and try the Sai free trial later today :)

i have a bamboo fun thing too, my came with the full version (i think? nothing is missing) of photo shop and something else, I prefer photo shop because that's all i've ever used and i'm too lazy/scared to try to understand naother because of my learning difficulties (i just can't pay attention, i just have the 'IT'S TOO HARD' mentality)

you might want to practice with your tablet other wise your lines will be a bit squiggly like mine were, and layers are your friend :D

I might've gotten that, I'll go check. (I'm almost positive I got some other CD with it XP)

Offline Lina

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
i have always used photoshop, and there's not really any other program that i can handle. i tried the GIMP, but i didn't like it as much as i like ps... i guess it's not bad though, once you got used to it!

my wishlist || my sales || thanks to myself for my avi :P and SDS for sig! || Candy Gloss || Asteria
~ I need SHS baits! PM me with offers if you have! ~

voodoocakes

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I use sai and I love it C:

Erinsgobragh

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:06 AM »
For a "painting" style I"d get either Corel Painter or Photoshop for Vector I'd get Illustrator.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal