collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies that were once thought valuable  (Read 9408 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies that were once thought valuable
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 08:15:29 AM »
So many G3's were 'big' and are now worth nothing... it makes me sad that my collection of over 200 is worth a lot less now than when I paid for it! >.<

I can't believe baby Honolu-loo goes for $5 now. She came with a $30 playset! How can people justify selling her for that little? *hugs her peg baby*

I remember buying Kimono on ebay for $8 with huge rubs on both eyes--I thought I got a steal!

I remember trading Love Wishes for a MOC G1 Fizzy! :O

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't pay for expensive, 'rare' G4's. Maybe in a few years they'll be completely common?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
The G3 Castle ponies came right down didn't they?  I was told they could easily fetch $100 but I have not seen them at that price in awhile.  Good thing too, because I ended up donating that castle MIB to Child Protective Services when I had no storage room.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »
Oh....Baby AppleJack she is another one who was "super rare" years ago and rather expensive years ago!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
This thread is awesome - especially since I remember when a lot of these ponies were these prices...makes me feel like a real collector :P

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
This thread is awesome - especially since I remember when a lot of these ponies were these prices...makes me feel like a real collector :P

Lol!  I know!

hathorcat, I totally remember that.  Baby AJ was at one time one of my "grails".  :silly: 

Lets see....which other ponies...*thinks* 

The original McD pony charms were one time much harder to find.  They're still pretty pricey, but I think they've come down?

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Mermaid

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »
I definitely paid $30 for my Baby Apple jack way back haha.

The Euro babies come to mind for me. I remember NBBE Baby lickity split selling for $75+ and same for Baby CJ and crew. The haven't lost that much value, but prices have dropped.

Someone said German Skydancer, I totally agree with her and Anchors away! :)
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
I was going to say Baby AJ used to be a heck of a lot more than I see her for now... Also Baby Bow Tie.  I still need to get my hands on them, but now they are both way closer to my price range than they were when I first started collecting. 

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »
How about Dutch Baby Cat?  I remember seeing her go for over $200 in the past!  Heck, all the Dutchies used to sell for so much more.  Not that they're cheap now ;)

Ooh, Baby Crumpet too.  Didn't she used to sell for like $60?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:33:56 PM by Eskara1862 »

Offline LilAlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
I think we are all overlooking something here.

When G1s came out there was no internet and toy collectors were looked down upon unless they were antique toys. Most people looked at G1s for what they were...toys. They were bought to be played with and some people became collectors but not many were thinking of them like future investments or debating a pony's future value.

When the interenet came out we were all able to find ponies easier and learn about ponies we didn't know existed. Prices spiked to unsustainable levels (just like they do whenever a new country pony is found). Eventually a "true" price emerges. Think of German Nightlight. Due to demand she has been in a consistent range for many years as does Mimic. They are not all that rare, just sought after. In some cases there are rarer ponies that go for less because they aren't liked as much.

When G3s came out I don't think anyone was really taking the availability factor into account. Nor were many thinking of the amount of years that had passed to come to G1 values. Many G1s currently fall in the $10 or less range and that is close to what they cost when they were brand new on the shelves...not much of a value increase. Considering it has been 30 years for many of these ponies I think it is unrealistic to be tearing down the value of G3s so soon. Guys, it's only been 8 years.

There are some G3s that will remain valueable and others that will increase in value but it's going to take another 10 years of people thinking they are worthless and donating them to charity or throwing them away until that happens...just like the G1s. Kimono, due to her limited release may yet see her day and she stands a better chance than many G3s.

Also remember that G2s prices have fluctuated greatly in the last few years alone. G4s are the new "it" and are skewing the prices across all gens due to limited collector funds as well as two distinctly different groups of pony collectors competing. Let's face it. The brony community is willing to pay far more than any of the older gen collectors.

Long story short. It's way too soon to speculate. We need at least 10 more years to see a change, maybe more. The interenet changed the collecting game considerable and I think one of the biggest impacts is it's going to take a lot longer for things to appreciate in value and they will have lower ceilings.

Stop looking down on the G3s like the ugly stepdchild or a waste of money. Remember why you collect in the first place! If you are looking to pad your retirement, you are collecting the wrong stuff.

That said....

I remember when the TAF Project Pony came out and was very hard to get due to only available to press or something. Then a couple years ago a huge pile was found and they went from being worth several hundred $ to $35.  Still love that pony regardless of value!

~Single handedly increasing the value of your MOC/MIB collection by opening mine!~

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
i havent been around for too long, but...

blind bag fluttershy. i just love how it went from "OMG blind bags wont be in the us everrrr!" and then the mane 6 (except fluttershy) were sold individually on the card so every bb fluttershy went for ridiculous prices on ebay (i could never justify spending $30+ on something so tiny!)... then BAM! the bling bag collectors set with fluttershy, blind bag house with fluttershy, and blind bags in the US :P  not to mention fluttershy is gonna be in every wave of blind bags now.
i bet everyone who bought her when she was "OMG SO RARE!" are all like "oh no, what have i done?!" now XD

...g3 castle ponies for $100? O.o wow, how things change XD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:32:11 PM by Behemoth »
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
I remember when the TAF Project Pony came out and was very hard to get due to only available to press or something. Then a couple years ago a huge pile was found and they went from being worth several hundred $ to $35.  Still love that pony regardless of value!

Oh, is that why?  I was always curious as to why she lost all her value.  :what:

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
...g3 castle ponies for $100? O.o wow, how things change XD

Yeah... apparently the Castle that came with the ponies was a Wal*Mart exclusive and limited to Christmas stock.  I stumbled upon that one in the clearance aisle for $45 and tried to talk myself out of it four times but it still made it through the checkout with me... hehehe...  :)  Then I was going to sell it but the shipping costs were um, insane.  However, it's in a HUUUUGE box so I understand!  :)  Like I said, it hung around my house for several years until I found a local charity to support with them.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »
I once had a lady at a flea market selling ponies insisted that Baby Chuck E Cheese pony was worth more if it was signed...I wasn't aware of what she was talking about and she told me that when you got them from Chuck E Cheese they got signed...I continued to give her the I don't agree face.

I can't see myself paying more for a pony because some employee at Chuck E Cheese signed the baby pony and I would have never gotten mine signed  even if I had purchased the pony back in the 80's from a Chuck E Cheese.

How the heck do you prove it was signed at Chuck E. Cheese anyway?
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
I remember when Mexican ponies were pretty high priced, now not so much :) But my Mexican herd has improved because of the decrease in prices! :mrgreen:
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
Kimono and Star Catcher were worth that much? Now I know why I never got them as a kid. They're still my 2 most wanted grails.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal