collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to...defrizz hair?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Storm.Runner

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Berkshire Exmoors
How to...defrizz hair?
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
So I'm planning on digging out my childhood collection the next time I can get to my grandparent's house, and I know that at least one of my G1's - Nice n' Spicy - has shockingly frizzy hair. Anyone got any tips to defrizz hair completely? It's original hair, and I really want to get it back to its former glory.

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How to...defrizz hair?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
You could try wetting the hair down and then working some liquid fabric softener into the hair. I have found that tends to help make the hair easier to brush out and fix.
Then you can either use a hair straightener on the lowest temperature setting and straightening it out, or you can just style the hair back to its original way.

Another trick is to set up a pan with simmering (not boiling) water. Wet the pony down with cold water first and then dip the pony in the hot water for a couple seconds and then brush it out. I don't know if it would be good for older/dryer hair. I have only really used that trick on G4s since their hair is so messy when you take it out of the box.

Here it a tutorial on how to do basic G1 pony styles without heat : http://www.ponylandpress.com/care/salon/styling.shtml
And here is a tutorial on how to deal with frizzy pony hair and a few other hair issues : http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/hair.html#Frizz

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
If the pony does not have tinsel you can dampen it and put a little conditioner in it and then use a curling iron on low heat or a straightener on low heat. The hair should be damp but not dripping wet, especially if you have a straightener made for dry hair, so just wet it under the faucet and wring it through your fingers to get the excess water out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Storm.Runner

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Berkshire Exmoors
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
Aah thanks guys <3 I'll be trying these as soon as I get my gal out of the loft.
Sadly I don't have straightners, I'll give the fabric conditioner one a try. Will it work with a hair dryer on the lowest heat setting?

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
Wow!! I haven't tried fabric softener!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »
Nope, a hair dryer will make it worse.  You should think of investing in a straightener if youre going to do any kind of restore work.  :(  But I'd try the fabric softener trick first. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
Nope, a hair dryer will make it worse.  You should think of investing in a straightener if youre going to do any kind of restore work.  :(  But I'd try the fabric softener trick first. 

Yup, totally worth investing in a straightener.  I got a cheap one at the thrift store for a a buck or two.  And it still amazes me how often I use it.  :)

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »

Yup, totally worth investing in a straightener.  I got a cheap one at the thrift store for a a buck or two.  And it still amazes me how often I use it.  :)
Ooh, I've never thought about checking the thrift stores. I'm too cheap to buy my own so I use my mom's instead, but sometimes she gets crabby when I ask. xD

ZettaMomo

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
Wow!! I haven't tried fabric softener!
It is a great trick! Especially for seriously knotted hair. I think it works better on ponies then plain ol' conditioner.

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
Buy a straightener!  It is so totally worth the investment. I got mine for $10 at WalMart.  It's totally dedicated to pony use; I love my curly/wavy hair and would never straighten it!

This is the first horse I ever used a straightener on.  Tis a Grand Champion mare, but the principle is the same.

Offline gazzy90

• Trade Count: (+97)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Buy a straightener!  It is so totally worth the investment. I got mine for $10 at WalMart.  It's totally dedicated to pony use; I love my curly/wavy hair and would never straighten it!

This is the first horse I ever used a straightener on.  Tis a Grand Champion mare, but the principle is the same.

Wow, amazing result!!

Maybe I should buy one too, I just can't seem to get rid of friziness any other way...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal