collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Invisible Children - need everyone's help !  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Invisible Children - need everyone's help !
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
While I also question the credibility of the organization, the fact is that it's a world issue that still a lot of people don't really know about.  Double edged sword there.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline tootie_tails

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
I still don't understand what this is about. What is shown in the video and what does these people want me to do?

If the cause is legitimite it should be possible to discuss it and handle it in other ways than referring to a 'moving' video.

-

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Once again, I think people are failing to see my point here. All I wanted with this was to show a video - and please speak about it only if you have watched it completely - to point out something that was unnoticed for YEARS. I am not asking for your money nor your judgement if it's legit or not. All I asked was to pass it around because people need to be aware of what is happening RIGHT NOW somewhere in the world and maybe - just maybe - change their atittude towards people around them. You can't do nothing to stop what that guy is doing except for passing the info around - is that so much to ask?

I rest my case now, as I see no point in continuing discussing this. I lost my faith in humanity long ago, but sometimes I still want to believe. Blame me for it.

Offline tootie_tails

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
All I asked was to pass it around because people need to be aware of what is happening RIGHT NOW somewhere in the world and maybe - just maybe - change their atittude towards people around them.

What is it that is happening right now?

-

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
All I asked was to pass it around because people need to be aware of what is happening RIGHT NOW somewhere in the world and maybe - just maybe - change their atittude towards people around them.

Something to do with child soldiers in a war in Uganda I believe. I have seen a lot of this on facebook but no one is explaining what it's about. I have also seen a lot about how this organization doesn't use much of the funds raised for the charitable cause either.
TheDarkWithin had a good point when they mentioned "double edged sword"! People just need to educate themselves and make informed decisions (including myself).

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:45 PM »
Although I see why people are questioning the fact that only 31% of their profits go towards actually helping the Ugandan people, you have to look at the bigger picture. Look at the scale at which they have done things. They do need to spend money on the 'propaganda' surrounding their campaign and producing things like the short film to raise awareness. Their aim is not to solve all Ugandas problems with money - there are tons of organisations doing that already. Their aim is to create awareness, make people stand up and realise that they can have a say, change the world and ultimately bring a criminal to justice. The way they are doing it is completely unlike anything we have seen before - they are harnessing the power of the social network to change the world. The things they have achieved so far (which you can see if you watch the video) are unbelievable.

Don't donate any money if you don't want to. I didn't. But merely by watching the video you are  now aware that there is a man named Joseph Kony and you know what he does. The man can't evade arrest for long if the whole world is aware of what he is doing, which will in turn put pressure on governments to intervene. Just watch the film and make up your own minds :)

Offline tootie_tails

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
Thanks for explaning, Talismarr.
I have seen a lot of this on facebook but no one is explaining what it's about.
That's odd. Just like on here. Why are people so easily lured in and agreeing to the message but unwilling to discuss it. Too weird.  >_<
-

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »

It's kind of hard to explain it in a short way, but I will try.
In Uganda there is a man by the name of Joseph Kony. He has been capturing children and forcing them to join his 'army'. I cannot explain all the things he is doing to the children because it is not particularly appropriate.
The problem is this is not a new thing. This has been going on for over 20 years. He has been avoiding getting arrested for a long time.

This group has wanted the American military to get involved with this, but at first government really didn't want to send troups. (It was claimed because they had no connections with Uganda or financial interests. But it's not like we are not in enough wars to begin with.) Eventually America did send a small military group to help the children in Uganda and to try and find Kony. Eventually Kony did find out about the military looking for him and he has gone to even deeper hiding.

Right now Invisible Children is trying to get the word out about Kony because so many people don't know anything about him or what is going on. Like Noasar said, they are using Social Networking sites to gain the attention of other people. When something is posted on a social network site it usually gains quick attention and is easily spread among others.

Although it may be considered questionable what the money that is being donated to Invisible Children may be going to you don't have to donate money to get involved. Just watching the video and maybe even sharing it with others is the easiest way to get involved. I saw this post today on Tumblr and I think it is explains how I feel towards the group pretty well:
"It’s not about the organization. It’s about the cause. It’s about raising awareness and making sure everybody knows who Joseph Kony is and the crimes he has committed. Keep the focus on the cause and not how the organization is run. No one is making you donate money to them. We just want people to who Kony is. "

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
That's odd. Just like on here. Why are people so easily lured in and agreeing to the message but unwilling to discuss it. Too weird.  >_<

That's part of the problem with this whole thing. People are watching the video and passing it on, but aren't bothering to do any research themselves. It's more of an internet meme than a group of people who are educated about a cause and strongly support it.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »
.. - and please speak about it only if you have watched it completely - ..

I don't think that's fair of you to say. I haven't watched it for a legitimate reason, which I stated clearly, and kept my tone neutral. I specifically said "charitable organizations in general" often have the same issues as the ones this company have been accused of. So I am in no way demeaning the issue at hand, here. I simply warned people from donating anything to this particular company, since there's been so much drama about it recently.

And yet it really feels like you've targeted me in your post. Why should I abstain from simply warning people against what might possibly be a scam? We do this all the time in trader support.

I tried to be friendly and even tried to diffuse it with smilies and yet I still got targeted :(

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »
Its definitely not a scam, people are just questioning how the money they are donating is being spent :) it is a great cause and has already made a lot of progress. You shouldn't believe everything you read, just like you shouldn't believe everything you see.

I think people should just watch the video and make up their own minds.  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:40:38 PM by Noasar »

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Children - need everyone\'s help !
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 03:45:17 PM »
This situation (the one here at the Arena) has me bothered. It seems like miscommunication, and of course I didn't mean to upset anyone. I did some research and reading, and found some links to well-established, well-rated organizations which accept money for the Invisible Children.

AMREF:

Charity rating: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4943
home page: [size=78%]http://www.amref.org/[/size]

Africare:
Charity rating: [size=78%]http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3220[/size]
home page: [size=78%]http://www.africare.org/[/size]

After more reseearch, here's what seems to be the real issue: it seems that that video is simply old news. The man in that video is MIA, 80% of the children are freed, and the LRA have left the country in question. Of course this is all just as sketch as the video itself.

So all I'm trying to say is, if you want to donate money, or even time or resources, please just do your research regarding which organization to support. The Invisible Children definitely need help, it just may be that the organization in question is not the way to provide that help.

:cloud:

Post Merge: March 07, 2012, 03:47:04 PM

... watch the video and make up their own minds.  :)

Oh my. I've already given my reasons for not wanting to watch the video. Am I really getting hate for this? This is very frustrating.  :cloud:

I just don't want any of you to waste any time, money, or resources on a company that may not be legit.  :redface:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:47:04 PM by okapishomapi »

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »
I wish there was a condensed of the video version that I know of to link you to, okapishomapi. The whole video is not about what the organizations does, but I can understand about wanting to be neutral about the situation.  :)  It is your choice on how to feel and you have your right to express it. I don't feel like you should be hated for having an opinion.
I can understand why you are concerned. I was thinking about donating a few extra dollars to get some posters, but I think I am going to hold off until more information is given about what the group is doing with the money they receeve. 

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »

That's part of the problem with this whole thing. People are watching the video and passing it on, but aren't bothering to do any research themselves. It's more of an internet meme than a group of people who are educated about a cause and strongly support it.

You're welcome tootie_tails :) I haven't done much research myself, all I know is just from what I have gathered through facebook, tumblr and now this thread.

I agree with stopxmotion, that people should do a bit more research and form an opinion of their own instead of mindlessly reblogging or posting a video (not singling anyone out, just commenting on how my whole dashboard is filled with this video today but no one seems to really know what it's about!)

I also agree with okapishomapi in your reasons for not watching the video! I haven't watched it yet either to be honest, and honestly, I get a bit of a weird vibe from the whole thing. From what I have seen and read I am more inclined to believe the people who say that the public should be cautious in promoting/supporting the Invisible Children group. That's not to say that what they're doing is bad, as awareness of the situation is probably a good thing, but perhaps their methods and the way they're going about it isn't quite right.

ETA: a link that I found that has a bit to say about the other side of the story here
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:42:34 PM by Talismarr »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
Friendly warning to keep things civil and on topic, please.

That said, I was actually talking about this with a friend today.  I have not seen any of the videos. But ive read the articals and its sad to say the least that this is happening and has been for a very long time.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal