Pony Talk > The Dollhouse

Rerooting a MH Doll

(1/6) > >>

toralei:
Alright, I have some questions for everyone who's rerooted a Monster High doll before.... or any doll, really!

1) What method do you think is easiest for rerooting?

2) How many many hanks would you recommend getting?

3) Would you recommend saran over nylon (or vice versa)?

4) How difficult is it to get the head back on?

4) What are some important things to take note of?

((Sorry if a thread like this isn't allowed... I just like to do a little research/ask questions before doing some sort of new activity!)

Alrak:
Rehairing tool. So easy to use.

At least 2, 3 for superlong hair.

No advice here, sorry.

I only did a CAM.

Take extra care making new holes a d removing the glue, they had such delicate, soft heads!

Good luck! <3

midnightsun:

Knot method. It takes longer but its securer.

2-3 saran. 3-4 nylon

Saran is great for natural colours but unnatural tend to feel a bit strange. Nylon is great for all colours but it can frizz.

Easy peasy. Just warm it up in a hot water bottle and it'll pop straight back on.

Watch out for splits. It can happen when removing hair or making holes. It can be easily sorted by sewing it up but best avoided. Just take your time and have an idea of how you want it to look. Find a good tutorial for partings. If you're doing a ponytail there's no need to reroot the whole head.

PandaBerryInSpace:
I use the reroot tool and secure it with glue. It's pretty secure, as long as you don't pull really hard on it.

I don't know. The first time I rerooted, it was a ponytail so I had tons of hair left over, and I was using two colors anyway. I just get the 38-inch hanks from Dollyhair, just to make sure I have plenty...

Saran has a lot of natural colors and it's really soft, but it's also incredibly greasy. It's honestly not my favorite type of hair to deal with. Nylon is shinier and has more colors available, but it's nowhere near as soft. It's basically MLP hair. I prefer nylon because it's not greasy.

I wouldn't know, I only ever did a CAM. However, I wouldn't recommend taking the stick thing that keeps the head on out, because I tried that when I put a CAM head on a Ghoulia body, and it wasn't a very good idea. :I

If you're using the reroot tool and using an original MH head, use a really small needle. I haven't tried rerooting an original head, but I have a feeling that if you use a large needle it'll cause a big rip and that's never fun. :I

Ravie:
I use the knot method. It's easy it just takes a little more time than using the reroot tool but is much more secure.

Depends on what length you're going for. I get one 38" hank of Saran and quarter it, that gives me length almost to their feet (it at least hits the back of their thighs) if I want shorter hair, I just knot both ends of the plug and cut it in half. Or with boy hair, I knot the now shorter strands again and cut them in half! Even with CaM heads, I have hair left over and they use much more hair (because their heads have more surface) than the regular dolls.

I like to use Saran. Nylon has many more colors, it's true, but my personal preference is Saran, it just feels better to me.

Not too, just push it on and wiggle a bit. The trick is getting it off, which I do by hooking my fingers over the shoulders with one hand and pulling straight and steadily with the other.

The glue!!!!!! OMFG the glue! >.< Of the dolls I've dehaired, only 2.0 Clawdeen didn't have massive amounts of glue in her head. Just be careful that while your trying to clean out a head that you don't end up messing up the faces. I did that with my very first one, my original Lala. Just make sure you have the proper tools, even then, make sure you have extra. Both Clawds I dehaired broke a crochet hook I was using. They're now bent 90 degrees XD and I still have to do another one. You will need pliers and strong hands and patience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version