collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Weirdly Sentimental  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Weirdly Sentimental
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
I don't know if anyone remembers, but several months ago I was desperate to track down the German Nestie babies. I did, and they are some of my favorite babies ever, I think because of the simplicity of the design. They remind me of the earlier babies like Cuddles and Tiddlywinks. Anyway.

I ended up with 2 Baby Schlummerleins. The first one I bought as a single from someone here on the arena. She was the first of the Nestie babies that I finally had in my hands and she is beautiful.

Then I bid on a lot that had all three, to get the other 2, and that involved getting an international bank transfer and translating some German and other fun stuff. I thought I'd sell the second baby Schlummerlein to recoup some of the money I spent.

But now I am attached to both of them. The one I bought here is in slightly better condition, so she would naturally be the one I would keep. Plus I love her dearly because she was the first one I finally got my hands on.

But I can't bear to separate the second one from Wurfelchen and Blubberchen. For all I know, they've been together for 20 years and it's like they belong in a set.

So now I have two Baby Schlummerleins and it looks like it's going to stay that way. Someone please explain this weird sentimentality towards a plastic toy to me, I am usually such a logical person.  :)
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdly Sentimental
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »
awe, they do that, lol...

Those 3 *could* have been together since they were first purchased!  I had a set of pearly babies that were together from their first owner, I was the third person to have them, and keeping them together was part of the deal. I eventually sold them, but they are still together, the buyer agreed to keep them as a set, too. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
I am glad I'm not the only one!  I have two 4-Speeds. One is in great shape, and the other, which I got more recently is in poor condition, but he is still wearing his bandana.  I went to take the bandana off of him to put on the nicer 4-Speed, and I couldn't do it!  For all I know he's been wearing that bandana since the 1980s and I felt "bad" taking it from him.  I thought I must have lost my mind  :silly:   Maybe we just do it out of "respect" for a vintage collectible and its former owner, since really in a way ponies are a piece of history and it's getting harder to find them with accessories and together in sets.  I don't know, that's my two cents anyway  :lol: 
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:38:58 PM »
That happens to me a lot! I can't part with some doubles!!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
This has happened to me before, too.  I found a large lot of g1 ponies early on in my collecting.  Most of them were in good shape and they were very obviously from the same collection.  I've sold a few of them but I kept the bulk of the lot since it was so early into my collecting days.  Since then, I've been tempted to upgrade some of the ponies from that set - but then I'd end up with doubles and I don't want to separate such a large group that have been together for such a long time.

This would also explain why I have 2 Saltys and 2 Baby Glories.  :)

Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this! I can't bear to separate sets of ponies that have been together for so long! I even tie matching ribbons in the hair of ponies that came together in a lot, so I don't forget which ones belong together! And I don't like separating ponies from their original accessories either, even if the pony with accessories is in worse shape than the one without. I know they're just chunks of plastic but I get too sentimental about it 8(

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

FlyingPonyMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »
We do this all the time!!! So we have many duplicates but one day we may decide to sell doubles!

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »
I can kind of be that way too, though in general I'm a "keep the nicest one for display, sell/trade the other" kind of collector.  But I feel guilty "stealing" accessories from ones that I don't plan to keep.

I've been feverishly collecting G2's over the last year.  Early on, I was thrilled to get a lovely complete Twinkle Star with tinsel just a little bit rumpled.  Then I got an MOC one, then I had an opportunity for another one MOC at a good price.  I figured I'd keep one MOC and decard the other for display, and of course rehome the first loose one.  But I like her and I'm not ready to give her up yet, even though I don't really need her anymore.

Same thing with my peach continental Euro Sweet Clover.  The first one I got is lovely except that her hair is faded (as it almost always is).  I got a fantastic NM one recently with unfaded hair, but I still like the first one too and don't want to sell her now.

I think when I get "extras" that I want but don't really need, I can use them as models for ponywear and playsets.  That way they'll still have their own purpose, even if they're not the main display pony.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:18:19 AM »
I know that feeling! I got Cascade and Salty both in poor condition in a lot, and they 'fell in love'. I'm supposed to have sold them, funnily enough I still have them! >.< xxx

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 04:47:31 AM »
Oh deary me, I have problems like that all the time.

I find I cannot part with the fakies from my childhood herd. I know I didn't like them as much as the actual my little ponies, back when I was younger, but they're still part of the childhood herd and I've fallen in love with them now. They've been with me for so long I can't bear to part with them. So eventually they'll be fixed up and displayed right alongside my actual ponies.

I have the same issue with a transformer I have around. I'm already odd for liking this fellow in the first place it seems, as many people dislike this toy. To make matter worse, mine is incomplete. But I found him in 5 parts in the transformer equivalent of the bait box at a convention, and put him back together. (His joints are fairly loose so parts tend to just pop off instead of breaking.)
He's my scrapheap baby and I adore him.
I could probably find a complete one, MIB and everything, for really cheap, but all I want is to find the parts to restore this one.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »
This is why I have an army of the little white duck that came with the Scrub A Dub set....every single time one turns up in a lot I just cant part with it - he seems to be calling out to join the paddling of ducks I have and just needs to stay with me!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 06:07:50 AM »
Haha glad this doesn't just happen to me!

I have two Baby YoYo, both perfectly equal in condition. Yet I can't get rid of either of them! I don't even remember how I ended up with 2... I just call them twins now and consider them part of my collection to stay. lol!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline littlexflitter

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparklesugar.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:13:28 AM »
I think that sounds really sweet, not wanting to separate the pony from her friends even though you have another one in better condition. I think it's pretty clear from the replies in this thread that it happens to almost all of us, not just you! :D

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:24:33 AM »
LOL I have four Firefly's and Three Speedy's for the same reason... Hmm Two Applejacks and Three Bow-Ties... umm letsee the list goes on and on...
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:10 AM »
Owh yes...i'm also feelin guilty when i get a better pony to sell the first one...
Like they look at you and say..."owh...you was happy with me when you got me but now you have a better one and i doesn't matter anymore"

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal