collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Significant other and ponies  (Read 9735 times)

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
Re: Significant other and ponies
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »
I guess as a male of the species my relationship with significant others is different. Fortunately I'm an amicable enough cat that people know what to expect from me, so no one's been all 'GUH FAW! A guy, into ponies, what's up with that!?'.

Ponies spurred my most recent relationship, actually. I carry my gym clothes in a G4 tote, 'cause why not? Ponies are awesome. She saw my bag, and asked 'Is that a My Little Pony bag?', and we started talking about cartoons and animation, ended up going out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have a blag about ponies.

Valkohai

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
I'm single and I don't know how would someone would react if they wanted to go out with me and WOAH! PONIES! PONIES EVERYWHERE! (and games too. and papers too. and DVDs.. )

But netherless.. I may not have a husband/BF/GF I do have a room mate. She ain't liking the ponies but she dosn't bother me when I'm all "squee!" when I open a box that I got from trade. Or when I drag a bag full of ponies from a store. I havn't been able to make her come to trift store to get me ponies.. and occasionally she helps me buying pones when I ain't enough money. Of course I pay her back ASAP I get more. Because of her I got entire wave 2 BB ponies! almost wave 1 and was so close completing wave 3. She also sews me blushies (because as she tells me, I suck) so I can trade these blushies for merch. Sweet. I do the painting, hairing and stuff. I also pay all the expences.

As for my parents. Well.. my sis was all excited (she is 10) and didn't mind I take her ponies. She collects Pet Shops and got my old pet shops. (gonna want those too when she stops playing) And I like to listen to her when she introduses me to her pet shops. She dosn't care for ponies thou, lol. My step dad.. I don't know since we don't talk.. My mom thinks it is nosence or a phase that goes by. She tried to make me sell my ponies when I told her I got some expencive ponies in my collection. She also wanted to sell my Godzilla babies (aI said no and without asking she sold one anyway for 1€ (worth 40€)). I mad.

So more or less.. outside this arena and my dear friend in US. I feel rather alone. Hope I get friends in a pony meeting thou. : )

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
my boyfriend tries to be ok with it. i have so many hobbies and they annoy him, but he went out to a thrift store once to try to surpise me with some ponies. he even bought me applejack's sweet apple barn for christmas! he says he's just trying to make me happy, so he puts up with them. he's been gone for quite a few months (air force) and i've acquired over 100+ more since he's been gone. so we'll see what he thinks when he comes back LOL!!!!! i don't think he'll mind. he might make jokes though.

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 01:52:50 AM »
My hubby doen't care that I collect ponies. He doen't like them himself, but is always looking for baits and pony items for me on ebay and such. He is a great hubby.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 02:27:47 AM »
Joe's very supportive :) He had no objection to the spare room becoming a pony room, in fact it was his idea! He buys me ponies for birthdays etc and helps me look for them at car boots etc. He's interested to learn about them and lets me bleat on about them for ages! haha! He even declared one of my ponies as his own cos the way she looks reminds him of our cat!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 03:24:22 AM »
I don't currently have a partner (nor do I want one) but my last two ex's were totally cool about it, the most recent one I even met through pony collecting. All my friends & family take it well, nobody "likes" them as such, but most understand and are pretty supportive of it. The ex before my last partner used to fly model planes, and he had quiet a few different ones, so he totally understood my pony collection and knew he couldn't really knock it having so many planes, as well as I was very supportive of his hobby, spending most sunday's out at the "flying field" with him and a bunch of older guys all flying model aircraft.

If my partner didn't like my collection, I could deal with that, as long as they were supportive of it. I could also deal with "no ponies in the bedroom" as long as I had somewhere I could see them, even if it was just a shelf in the study or something. I have a few different toys that I really like, as well as some unicorns & horsie things, and a few random ornaments that I like as well, so it's not all about the ponies :)

Lilith1981

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 03:28:03 AM »
My ex couldn't stand them and we lived for more than 7 years together in pony-less flats. He was a great guy apart from that but it always seemed pretty unfair to me.

Fortunately my current partner is a different story. He even visits the Arena to look at pony photos, though he hasn't registered since his English is... errm, not great xD

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 03:38:37 AM »
my boyfriend loves the FiM show so we always watch it together. As for my collection, it's not his thing but he collects lots of stuff so he completely understands the importance of collections ^^"

Offline Mainsail

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 03:46:42 AM »
Well, I'm happy to say that, my boyfriend thinks it's cool that I collect ponies. :P When I told him about all the ponies in my room and whatnot, he replied with: "... Can I play??"  :silly: Lol, he said he watched the cartoons when he was little, too. :lovey: I think I found a keeper~!!  :inlove:

My MLP Tumblr

Offline BrightIdea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 04:17:27 AM »
My husband is pretty good with it. At first he was a little scared by the volume of ponies sitting around here and money being spent on ponies, but I helped him come up with a good rule for me to follow. I am allowed to buy any G4 pony I want if I buy it locally at a toystore. Also I am allowed to buy a monthly pony online. Sometimes he even suggests I can get an extra pony this month if I do something awesome, like when I got a raise at work :P

I "brony-ized" him too, lol.  I had gotten into the Friendship is magic cartoon while he was away on a business trip, so when he came back I forced him to watch a couple episodes. Voila! He likes it now and we watch it all of the time.

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
Well, I'm happy to say that, my boyfriend thinks it's cool that I collect ponies. :P When I told him about all the ponies in my room and whatnot, he replied with: "... Can I play??"  :silly: Lol, he said he watched the cartoons when he was little, too. :lovey: I think I found a keeper~!!  :inlove:

Put a ring on that! Lol XD

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 04:30:03 AM »

My boyfriend doesn't seem to mind, and I doubt its surprising since I started off collecting dolls (Pullips/Blythes/BJDs and then MH). He's not afraid to tell me G1s look weird though (he likes SHS best because they look long and elegant like horses should). He's very supportive! He's bought me ponies as gifts and has even lent me money so I could buy things before someone else does. He doesn't mind listening to be ramble about ponies, or looking at customs and such I link to him. He even bought himself a custom I showed him! We've watched a few FiM episodes together, and even My Little Pony the Movie. But once he realized the movie was a giant musical commercial he got really mad. XD I doubt he'll watch more G1 with me, lol.

Offline lilgryphon

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.worldlydogs.com
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 06:26:56 AM »
I was actually worried about how my collection would go over when my BF and I started dating. He knew I collected, because I've always kept a couple at work (and now much more than a 'couple') but he's a minimalist and I have, well, a LOT of ponies. It was pretty gradual since he and the kids moved into my place, so the ponies were already 'there'. I keep most of my ponies in storage bins, so they were tucked away, and I was still on a long hiatus from pony collecting. Sure, I'd look if I 'happened' to be at the thrift store, but nothing active and no customizing. Then I thought I'd go through my extras, put some online for sell, maybe even downsize...then dang you arena and showing me the G4 line!! I swore I was only going to get AJ....oh, yes, back to the BF.

He was surprisingly supportive when the 'fever' of collecting returned. He goes to our local thrift store all the time with or without me on the hunt and was so proud when he brought back his first G1 find. He asked for a list of the ponies I didn't have that I was still looking for at Christmas and bought me every G4 on it he could find...and all the blind bags I wanted a month ago or so. He thinks its cool, and he loves that I can take a manky pony and turn it into something beautiful. He is such a keeper!! Although, he admittedly can't wait until we move so that all my craft stuff has its own room as right now it's pretty much everywhere.
www.worldlydogs.com ~ Deviant Art~Short Stories
There comes a time when a man must stand for what he believes in, consequence be damned.

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
no SO. But my friends are all supportive! I've even gotten a few male friends into the show- they even call themselves bronies. One of them is even coming to the fair with me, and he loves to go pony hunting with me as well. :)
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
i have an update to my post, last night my boyfriend got to use the computer for the first time since basic training, and he saw all the pictures of my ponies, and saw a piece of art that someone made on here of my persona "Honey Bunny" it had the name on the picture. At first he started getting offended thinking someone was making these things for me, as a flirting way, but after I explained to him that she's what i'd be if I were a my little pony, and that Honey Bunny was her name (his pet name for me) he instantly changed his tune and wanted me to design him a pony!!!!!
I forsee great things!

:frolic: :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal