collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hesitations about Putting Your Hoof Down  (Read 11304 times)

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
Hesitations about Putting Your Hoof Down
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
So.....With all this swirling STUFF with :muffin: Pony (I don't care if you're for or against it, that is NOT what this topic is about.) I am kind of hesitant about this new episode with Fluttershy. Particularly after watching the preview (which usually I don't do), I'm just thinking to myself, Oh here we go again. It's going to be ANOTHER Over a Barrel, or Last Roundup, where everyone's going to find something to get all pissy and upset and offended over. I can kind of see it coming, and I REALLY don't want it to. A reappearance of Fluttershy the Brute, and thanks to Mr.Centuar she's going to be pushy and nasty and rude (mistaking it for being "assertive")to everyone and maybe to the WRONG pony (dear god lest it be :muffin: Pony @[email protected] firestorm....) and a lesson about beng able to stand up for yourself and being assertive in a positive manner will be lost, just like the messages of Over a Barrel and Last Roundup were lost because of all the negativity surrounding them.

I'm kind of sad because I've never felt this way about watching Friendship is Magic before--totally hesitantant worried about just exactly what I'll be seeing. Before the whole :muffin: Pony scandal, I was EVERY Saturday like a little kid again with my Golden Grahams in my jammies in front of the TV with my hubby and my little boy, totally thrilled to be watching cartoons. And for the first time, tomorrow, I'm kinda just..not really wanting to watch. Especially because I LOVE. I mean LOVE LOVE LOVE Fluttershy, and I feel almost like "jeeze! Here we go again, Hasbro messing with my favorite characters! What are they going to DO to her?" I mean, I'm all for standing up for yourself and being assertive, but I loved how sweet and shy Fluttershy was. I'm not sure how this episode will change her character.

So, if you've read this far, I appreciate it. Does this bother anyone else or am I just being silly? ._.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
Re: Hesitations about Putting Your Hoof Down
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
At first all of this stuff over people freaking out about the show really creeped me out, but then I decided "haters gonna hate" and moved on. xD If people end up not liking it or over-analyzing it or making a big deal about it, that's their problem. x3

I think this episode will end up with the message being "being assertive is okay, but being a big huge pushy bossy meanie isn't". or something. x3 Fluttershy will end up being "assertive" towards someone and then find out she really hurt them, apologize, they both make up and Fluttershy learns that being mean is not okay? or something? ^^

Either way, I think they'll find a way to make it okay. c: some people manage to find a way to hate on every single episode, whether it's complaining about the animation or saying the voice acting isn't good enough or the writing was bad and so on. It happened with every new episode; it just wasn't until The Last Roundup that people got REALLY vocal about it.
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Zero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »
The trouble with todays generation is...the mothers are too protective and far too PC. YOu cant say or do certina things not beacuse its wrong, but beacuse its not safe.
This whole thing with :muffin: Pony is beacuse someone got offened by a 10 second section of 1 episode and then used the power of the interwebs to compailn about it, so Hasbro caved and edited it and even planed on changing the character. the Derp term had been around LONG befor FIM just now its been seen.
This next ep is showing what standing up for your self can do, theres a hint a later episode is set after this one. I personaly dont see anything wrong with that Idea

Sig by Dizzie
Even after the darkest of nights, morning always comes
Zero Ref
Trotting Icon and Pic made my Ellis

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
I haven't watched the preview since I'd rather just see the whole thing tomorrow, but please don't call people who disagree with something you like "haters". I've criticized things in FiM before, but I still like the show a lot. If something that bothers other doesn't bother you, that's great, but please don't act like others' feelings or opinions are not legitimate by calling them overreactions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:16:34 PM by Elisto »

Offline OctoberFlash

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »
I haven't watched the preview since I'd rather just see the whole thing tomorrow, but please don't call people who disagree with something you like "haters". I've criticized things in FiM before, but I still like the show a lot, and simply saying it's OK to ignore everyone you disagree with is not cool. If something that bothers other doesn't bother you, that's great, but please don't act like others' feelings or opinions are not legitimate by calling them overreactions.

Oh, goodness, did I come off this way? I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that at all. D: I just meant that I'm not going to let other people's opinions get in the way of me liking the show, it's okay if they disagree with me but I'm not going to fight with them about it, fighting won't get me anywhere. I never meant that their opinions didn't count or anything. Sorry D:

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
Yeah, I edited my post a bit, but it looks like you quoted me before I did!

I mean, by all means, I get it, and it's great to be able to just ignore the drama you'd rather have no part it. Maybe I just misunderstood.

Offline OctoberFlash

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »
Ah! Sorry ^^;

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
No, no, please, I'm sorry!

Offline OctoberFlash

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
it's okay :) everyone can get confused reading stuff over the internet sometimes, it looks like we confused each other xD

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
About :muffin: Pony...I think thst the change opened a huger can of worms than the original.  (I thought the first voice was freaking adorable, personally.)   I think that when a mistake like that is made, it's best not to go back and try to fix it because...it usually makes things worse.  :sigh:  People.  I wish they could all chill out lol

But I second those who say don't worry about the opinions of others.  They have nothing to do with you persoinally enjoying the show.  C:

I totally know what you mean about messing up a favorite character though.  I could rant and rave about the fourth season of ThunderCats (the 80s version) all day.  XD

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Well, to me they did sort of mess up by trying to "fix" what they did with :muffin: Pony. The character herself was cute. My fear is that with this next episode is that something similar will happen where they'll take a perfectly cute character and take her in a direction that will upset people. My GREATER fear is that hasbro will go so far as to say, "If we can't make a show that doesn't offend people, we  WON'T make a show." And I would really hate to see that happen to FIM just for the sake of avoiding offense and preserving "political correctness". A really large chunk of my weekly happy has started to come from FiM, and I would be *incredibly* sad if that happened. I would cry. I know it sounds totally silly and childish, but I would. Because it's just such a darling little show XD I would really be upset if it were to go away for such a stupid reason. ^^;
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:47:06 PM by Bunny-san »

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
I doubt that would happen...as you said, there have been plenty of complaints about previous episodes and nothing changed. I'd be upset too, but I really think the whole thing with :muffin: Pony was just a one-time thing.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
My advice is, don't let what others think get to you.  If any part of the community makes a fuss over something that happened in the episode, screw 'em.  If anyone complains that there was nothing special about the episode, screw 'em.  And besides, even if Fluttershy goes brutish, I'm willing to bet that she will learn her lesson and apologize.  She will learn from her mistakes and a positive message will come from the episode, and no one should have anything against this episode.

I'm thinking that Fluttershy will learn to say "no" when she's uncomfortable, but do so nicely, like she always has.

I think Hasbro and Studio B know what they are doing now.  That :muffin: Pony issue roughed them up, sure, but I think they handled it well.  I thought that they would cut :muffin: Pony altogether, so I sent Hasbro a harsh email, but when I found out that they were only changing that one episode, I calmed down and sent them an apology.  :blush:

MikaUtsukushi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
I just think people need to calm down. People keep looking at things that aren't there. Just leave the poor show alone and just enjoy. D;

I am looking forward to the new episode especially with the Minotaur. I thought Iron Hoof would be some training stallion/mare but a Minotaur is a cool addition to the mythical creature family. :3c

Okiedokieloki

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »
The amount of drama that goes along with FiM is just so silly...it goes a little too far beyond just loving the show at times.

I highly doubt there's anything to worry about with respect to a character being changed. Even :muffin: Pony went back to being just as she was before "The Last Roundup": a cute "Where's Waldo" type background pony.

The show is rather episodic and there are a lot of discrepancies between episodes. Just because Fluttershy turns overly assertive for one episode doesn't mean they'll keep her that way for future ones. It's just a plot device for the message of the episode (assuming it will be sticking up for yourself and being assertive is fine, just not to the point of being a pushy, bossy bully), and Fluttershy would really be the best character to portray that message.

And even if she did grow to be a little more assertive, would that really be a bad thing? It's character development, something that is highly lacking in many shows nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:41:12 PM by Okiedokieloki »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal