collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: anyone like the shows as well as the toys?  (Read 11472 times)

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
Re: anyone like the shows as well as the toys?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
Ohhh, awesome nightshade custom! I would definitely buy one if Hasbro would release it! There are characters that were released as toys, but were made cool by the show-like wind whistler. I normally liked the adventure ones, but I did like a few of the slice of life eps- Sweet Stuff and the treasure hunt comes to mind. My favorite toon Ponies were Twilight G1 and Wind Whistler.

Yeah, I agree with all of you. G 3 is okay, and I wish it, tales, and G1 weren't so flamed on Youtube. The G1 villains are cool, and I wish the new show had more villains like Tirek or Levan King of the lava demons! That's why I write G1/G4 fanfics, because I like having actual villains.

So what is everybodys favorite episode, and everybody's favorite pony on the show? And thier favorite ep?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:26:56 PM by Firehooves »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
Favorite ep:
MLPT: Battle of the Bands
FiM: S1E2.
G3: none. Not enough action in any of them but some of their music is good.

Favorite pony:
MLPT: None of them really relate to me.
FiM: Nightmare Moon
G3: Star Swirl

emera_lazzaly

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
I do like the G1 show! I grew up with it and "tales"  but I don't remember much a about tales. Just rewatched the G1 show and loved it. I do remember loving "tales " while it was on though!

Offline sabathamk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sabrinas-space.blogspot.com
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 08:41:17 PM »
I have G1 show on dvd... my husband bought it for my birthday.  I didn't get to watch it as a kid, but I love it.  It's sort of cheesy, but loveable, and honestly a lot more adventure than the newer shows.  I like FiM as well, but I think it is so well done.  I'd probably love it more if it was adventerous like the old 80s cartoons... not much like that anymore.

Thanks to Cardinal Melody\'s pony maker!
wishlist/adoptables

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
Ya know, I watched the original MLP series as a kid and the movie but I dont think I liked it or the G3 ones. I do love FiM though.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Firehooves

• G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
Awesome, just awesome. I'm glad there's still a lot of fans of the old show out there! ^^

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »
Honestly, I grew up with G1, and I had mixed feelings about it. I felt it too scary, tho I had a crush on Megan.

Tales was when I started to go serious with the show. It was my "Arthur surrogate" and I loved it. Tho I originally didn't think of the 7 too much, I eventually decided that I liked Sweetheart.

I missed out on G3 due to preoccupation of interest with the 2003 Strawberry Shortcake, but I did get a few G3 Pinkie Pies through it's run.

G4, well, I love the toys unconditionally, though I have mixed feelings about the show- on one hand, I love the VAs. On the other hand, I don't like the Adventure stories with villains.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
I'm not familiar with the G1 shows, but I like the colour palettes and use of music in the G3 cartoons. The G3 cartoons are however very lite on everything else.

And Friendship is Magic is oodles of fun.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Pangel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Ooo banana...
    • View Profile
    • Panda Patch
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:08 AM »
G1 - love so so soooo much (I'm a children's cartoon / animation junkie in general)

As kids we'd literally sit and watch them for hours. For years I'd only seen half of 'The Glass Princess' - do you know how much of a cliff hanger that had been, for... 12 years? XD I actually managed to find it on a VHS tape, but did anyone else notice how terrible it was in comparison to the first half? It was a really weird mish-mash. The voice actors seemed to have changed o_O I thought that WHSmith had dubbed it themselves, haha.

Now as an adult I like to watch them to see how many continuiting errors I can spot. I love it when Megan is with one pony and then the pony randomly turns into Sundance, who hasn't been in the episode at all. Good times!
Whole toy collection for sale! Selling 100's of items! G1 My Little Ponies, G1 Littlest Pet Shops, Sylvanian Families - EVERYTHING MUST GO!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Panda Patch eBay store <- Click here! ;)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:14 AM »
I have always adored the G1 movies, when I was 3, the videos were always turning up in charity shops and I was always buying them! :D xxx

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2012, 04:47:35 AM »
The shows have always been as important to me as the toys, although I know I'm in the minority.  I saw the G1 cartoon for the first time when I was just under three years old (six months after I got my first pony) and most of my childhood pony games were based around the TV show.  Being born late in the G1 run, I didn't have any of the TV star ponies at that time, but the ponies I did have would "act" as various MLPs from the series.  When I came to write my own fanfiction "radioplay-style" series (for a series of cassettes) all the personalities were the same as in the shows.  I just created personalities for the ponies who'd never got a part on TV!

I do cringe a bit at the quality of MLP & Friends now (animation errors where a leg will suddenly freeze, really bad singing on some songs etc.), but I still love it for what it is and it brings back a lot of memories for me.  Truly and Lofty are my favourites, with Sweet Stuff and Galaxy just behind.

Tales will always be "my" pony show.  I have watched it so many times over the years that I know the scripts off by heart and can quote back any scene! (Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of that one! :P )  I love the art, especially the backgrounds (some of the detail is just amazing for a low budget cartoon of that time), the songs and I ADORE the voice acting.  Most of the shows had great morals too.  Roll Around The Clock is probably my favourite episode.  Lancer is my favourite (obviously), with Sweetheart a close second.  Then again, I love Melody and Starlight and...well, all of them really!

G3 - kill me if you like, but I LOVED G3 too.  I was 12 by the time A Charming Birthday hit the shops, but I loved it for what it was, a young children's TV show.  A Very Minty Christmas is probably my favourite, but I do like most of them.  I liked the animation, the simple little stories, the songs and most of all, the voice acting!  Pinkie Pie and Minty are my favourite ponies.  The Core Seven webisodes were a little boring, but I even liked those.

G3.5 - Love Twinkle Wish Adventure!  Again, mainly for the voice acting.  The animation was not really my cup of tea.  Didn't hate it, just didn't like the new look very much.  The characters and their catchphrases are a bit grating and repetitive ("How dashing!" and "Cool beans!"), but I do love the songs, especially "Dreams Do Come True" and "The Wonderful Winter Song".  There's not much to recommend Sweetie Belle's Gumball House Surprise and Pinkie Pie's Ferris Wheel Adventure but I do watch them occasionally just because some of my favourite voice actors are in them.

DON'T talk to me about Newborn Cuties though.  What the heck were those things?  The dreadful flash animation, the badly directed bored-sounding kid voice actors (one of whom just happened to be related to the casting director)...it killed me to see what MLP had become and I refused to buy any G3.5s after that even though I quite liked some of the toys!

G4 - Well, while I can't say I'm keen on the art style and I hate the way it's got this constant feel of "trying to please the adult audience" (it's lost some of the simplicity of MLP for me), I appreciate it has good writing and stars some of my favourite voice actors so I watch it anyway.  Rarity is my favourite pony, but I haven't got a favourite episode.

So, long post, but yes, there definitely ARE a few people on here who like the shows as much as the toys.  You just have to search for them! :)

Post Merge: March 03, 2012, 04:51:45 AM

As kids we'd literally sit and watch them for hours. For years I'd only seen half of 'The Glass Princess' - do you know how much of a cliff hanger that had been, for... 12 years? XD I actually managed to find it on a VHS tape, but did anyone else notice how terrible it was in comparison to the first half? It was a really weird mish-mash. The voice actors seemed to have changed o_O I thought that WHSmith had dubbed it themselves, haha.

Funnily enough, I think they actually only put half of "The Glass Princess" on one official VHS tape!  I'd already seen the show on Sky One by the time I got that tape, so I wasn't bothered, but I did wonder how other kids must have felt to get a "To Be Continued..." screen and then to have it cut into a different episode!

As for the quality issue, they cut the song out of the 4th part after it's first airing on US television for unknown reasons (probably timing), then they slowed down the remainder of the episode to get it to fit the time slot!  So that's why all the voices sound strange! ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:51:45 AM by Lancer »

CelAngel

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2012, 05:07:11 AM »
I do! I've never seen any G1 or G2 movies or animations, due to the fact that I'm still quite young and the movies have never really been on TV when I was little. But I absolutely loved the G3 movies and they always bring back so many good memories when I re-watch them now a days!

To be honest, I'm not to keen on the Friendship is Magic series, I guess it's because of the fanbase. But I still watch it.

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »
It really irks me that all the YouTube videos are badly rated and spammed with negative comments from bronies, I wish they'd just leave me alone to enjoy my cute cartoons in peace. :(

This.
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline Pangel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Ooo banana...
    • View Profile
    • Panda Patch
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Funnily enough, I think they actually only put half of "The Glass Princess" on one official VHS tape!  I'd already seen the show on Sky One by the time I got that tape, so I wasn't bothered, but I did wonder how other kids must have felt to get a "To Be Continued..." screen and then to have it cut into a different episode!

As for the quality issue, they cut the song out of the 4th part after it's first airing on US television for unknown reasons (probably timing), then they slowed down the remainder of the episode to get it to fit the time slot!  So that's why all the voices sound strange! ;)

That makes so much sense, thank you! I had the first half on an official VHS tape, and years later I found it at a carboot, made by WHSmith apparently. I wondered why they sounded so strange. Now this mystery is solved, I feel... Complete :D
Whole toy collection for sale! Selling 100's of items! G1 My Little Ponies, G1 Littlest Pet Shops, Sylvanian Families - EVERYTHING MUST GO!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Panda Patch eBay store <- Click here! ;)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
I actually always liked the toys but never really cared for any of the shows until FIM. I am rather picky about what I watch but I would probably like FIM even if it wasn't about ponies. However I would never bash the old shows on Youtube. I know that even if something isn't my cup of tea doesn't mean there aren't people that do enjoy it.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal