collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A few questions about FF Cotton Candy  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
A few questions about FF Cotton Candy
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
I recently acquired a second FF Cotton Candy at a yard sale and when I got her home I noticed that she is different from my first one- her hair is lighter and she has blue eyes- her stance is slightly wider, and her symbols look more rounded then my first one. Her plastic also feels different- it is more shinny and has an oily or waxy feel to it.

I was assuming the new one was just faded and going to use her for a project (she has a nasty stain on her NDS and some cancer) but I wanted to check first- I know there are many releases of CC but I didn't know about any variants within the FF ponys... She has the same hoof markings as my previous one- C1982 Hasbro, Pat. Pending, Made In, Hong Kong.

A few quick photos-
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about FF Cotton Candy
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »
Oh yes, there were so many releases of the early ponies that the molds are noticeably different in the collectors pose.  My opinion is that they were making numerous copies for the factories and they warped a little over time from the original mold sculpted by Hasbro artists.

From your pictures, I *think* your CC on the left is the early mail order one (with blue eyes), and the one on the right (with purple eyes) is the initial store release.  Orrrrrrr it's the reverse!   

There was a whole thread on the old Arena about the topic... I don't know if you can search the archives yet though.  Maybe someone here will remember!  :)  *BUMP!*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
Oh yes, there were so many releases of the early ponies that the molds are noticeably different in the collectors pose.  My opinion is that they were making numerous copies for the factories and they warped a little over time from the original mold sculpted by Hasbro artists.

From your pictures, I *think* your CC on the left is the early mail order one (with blue eyes), and the one on the right (with purple eyes) is the initial store release.  Orrrrrrr it's the reverse!   

There was a whole thread on the old Arena about the topic... I don't know if you can search the archives yet though.  Maybe someone here will remember!  :)  *BUMP!*

I read the old thread a long time ago but I am having trouble finding it again. That's what I thought to start but I was thinking that the mail order ones were only released as concave foot- these girls have flat feet :/

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
I dont think its a mail order difference...mail order Cotton Candy is bright pink whether early or later...

I think as lovesbabysquirmy says there were so many of the early ponies made, they were made so long ago, there were probably multiple factories and so many batches that there are going to be minor differences in body colour, finish, etc.

I know someone did a thread measuring the size differences to try and ascertain if the mail orders had a "wider" stance or not but personally I always thought this a little of a weird theory the ponies were made from the same mould so why they would have widened when being sold mail order is bizarre! But hey with HB you never know!!

Purples are notorious for leaching out the red dye - see Baby Crumpet and Gusty's symbols - so sometimes I wonder if the very minor dark purple to dark blue eye we see is a similar thing or simply a different colour mix on the batch

Both of them are lovely though! A start up Cotton Candy army...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
I dont think its a mail order difference...mail order Cotton Candy is bright pink whether early or later...

I think as lovesbabysquirmy says there were so many of the early ponies made, they were made so long ago, there were probably multiple factories and so many batches that there are going to be minor differences in body colour, finish, etc.

I know someone did a thread measuring the size differences to try and ascertain if the mail orders had a "wider" stance or not but personally I always thought this a little of a weird theory the ponies were made from the same mould so why they would have widened when being sold mail order is bizarre!

This! :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal