collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Italians vs. Us ponies (concerning heat applications...)  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Italians vs. Us ponies (concerning heat applications...)
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
Oh boy... sorry everyone, I seem to have been plaguing this place with questions lately...

I bought what would be a perfectly lovely Italian White Tootise off ebay, who arrived yesterday, but imagine how much my excitement plummeted when I went to place her on the table and she toppled right over. She can't stand on her own  :( 

It's one of those cases where the vinyl in the legs has kinda warped a bit over time (you know, you often see it in the crumpet or buttons pose and it affects the ponies balance...) I've contacted the seller and it's resolved the best it's gonna be, but now I want to help this little pony!

I'm thinking hot water will be best to soften the vinyl in an attempt to reshape it as it cools down (is that correct?) but my question is, the softer vinyl that seems apparent on the Italians I've come across - should I treat it any differently to typical US/UK ponies (the only others I've really handled). I've placed ponies in hot water before for cleaning and seen how the vinyl softens up considerably. Just want to know if I should be aware of anything or if anyone has words of caution/advice before I go ahead.

Sorry if it seems a silly question... I just don't want to have this pony made any worse off!

Thanks  :)

Online shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Italians vs. Us ponies (concerning heat applications...)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
no not silly but yes do soak the legs in freshly boiled water not just hot  but water that has just boiled to get best effect for one mintute then mold to your liking and then run very cold water over legs and set :)

i got 3 ponies in the mail with this but they were mentioned to be like this, sunnybunch was the only one that would not stand after only because she has one freakeshly long leg

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »
Thats better than what I do I use the hot water and the put a pencil or folded card between the legs overnight..
no not silly but yes do soak the legs in freshly boiled water not just hot  but water that has just boiled to get best effect for one mintute then mold to your liking and then run very cold water over legs and set :)

i got 3 ponies in the mail with this but they were mentioned to be like this, sunnybunch was the only one that would not stand after only because she has one freakeshly long leg

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
I dont even bother with the hot water, I just put cardboard or something similar putting her legs and leave for a couple of days and the issues is always solved

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
You can always use a blowdryer too! That softens the vinyl up pretty quickly without getting it too hot! :3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
These are some great suggestions, thanks everyone! Here's hoping for some success and a new lease on life for the old gal  :)

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »
The tootsie pose is one that is notorious for not being able to stand on her own, what have been suggested above is your best bet at fixing her :) I would say she has either been stored or laying down, or possibly squished for a while, and the plastic has taken on that shape, plastic has a good memory however and will generally go back to its original shape with a little help ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal