collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paint and sunfading tutorial! [Update: fading out ink stains on dark ponies!]  (Read 15045 times)

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
Re: Paint and sunfading tutorial!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
Nice tutorial!!!! I'd have never thought about painting over symbols and eyes to keep them from fading! Ingenious!! :happy:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
That is a fantastic idea! I would never have been brave enough to try paint without your pics... thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
As soon as there's some decent sun up here (March in Canada isn't exactly very bright) I'm dying to try some sunfading/hydrogen peroxide cleaning on some of my poor dingy gals! 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Flutterswirl

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
Oh, bless you! I had wondered if markings could be adequately protected by a frisket, but hadn't been brave enough to try.
Look out, baby G3 with marker 'makeup'- your days of looking like pony Tammy Faye are numbered! :D

Thanks to *generalzoi\'s Pony Creator at dA for my avatar!

just visiting this planet! (Phl. 3:20)

Offline Frenzy

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »
I can't wait to try this as soon as I can get some sunny days and an apartment that hopefully doesn't have northern facing windows! Thanks so much for the great tutorial!

SparklersOasis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »
Thanks for the great tutorial!  I def, have a pony that could benefit from this :frolic:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »
Very good step by step, I look forward to seeing how she comes out.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
I used this method on my discolored Chief.  Can't wait to see how he turns out!

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
I did a quick test on an Italy girl of mine (who's luckily a big restoration project anyways), but I did suffer paint loss when I painted over  her eye and tried to take it back off. the black and blue of her eye have notably faded.

I'm not sure what caused it, I tested the alcohol on her eye without the acrylics on it and that went fine, though I didn't rub quite as hard, so maybe that is it. Though, I'm actually wondering if I hadn't let the acrylics dry properly (this being a quick test and all), and if that caused the eye paint to come of with it.
Or maybe rubbing alcohol differs a tad from country to country. Maybe some batches of Italian paint aren't as strong?
Obviously, this technique works fine for most people, so I'm just trying to figure out what could have caused my issue so others don't make my error, but I'm kind of unsure currently, and not quite brave enough to try again. >>

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »
I did a quick test on an Italy girl of mine (who's luckily a big restoration project anyways), but I did suffer paint loss when I painted over  her eye and tried to take it back off. the black and blue of her eye have notably faded.

I'm not sure what caused it, I tested the alcohol on her eye without the acrylics on it and that went fine, though I didn't rub quite as hard, so maybe that is it. Though, I'm actually wondering if I hadn't let the acrylics dry properly (this being a quick test and all), and if that caused the eye paint to come of with it.
Or maybe rubbing alcohol differs a tad from country to country. Maybe some batches of Italian paint aren't as strong?
Obviously, this technique works fine for most people, so I'm just trying to figure out what could have caused my issue so others don't make my error, but I'm kind of unsure currently, and not quite brave enough to try again. >>

I just tried removing the paint on one eye to see if mine did it too. But I didn't notice any paint loss. It may be the batch of paint, or removing it before it was entirely dry. It may also be the brand too. It could also be the pressure used while you were rubbing it. I dabbed on the alcohol and let it set for a second to loosen it up, then rubbed a little after reading your post.

On the other hand if it was a white pony, it could just be extra paint remaining. I know I had to take a few very gentle swipes over the eye with a q-tip to get it off. Do you see the color layer underneath peaking through or does it look like the eyes are faded as in... whiteish?  Try putting a bunch of alcohol on a qtip, let it set and dab very gently to see if it clears it up. I'm thinking if that's the case, there's just some white paint remaining.

The first time I tried this, I used artist-grade acrylics. I also used yellow. The pony ended up being covered in yellow and still isn't entirely gone, even after all the scrubbing I did. D; But that might be the same thing.

As for the progress, she's ALMOST there. She's about a shade or two shy of white. I've been leaving her in the window, but also leaving her outside since we've had a lot of warm sunny days lately. I can see a huge difference! She might be ready in another week or two! :3

I also found a tail replacement... it's not pony hair, but I have a wig I've been working on which is almost the right color and a similar texture. I have all this extra hair from it, so I'll be making her a new tail with it. :D

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline tehrin

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Bumping this up because I added an addition: Fading stains out of a darker pony using paint! :D

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
would it be safe to do on these ponies? and i think this is just what alpha needs! THANKS THANKS THANKS AGAIN!!!!!! I have to get moving some of the stuff off my window sill so i can finally start fading my ponies!  ^_^ <3 <3 <3

alpha has green highlighter eyes that go to her frecklels, and bridey has a yellow stain above her symbol.... just asking cuz i know cherrytreats likes to burn and i dont want any fried ponies.. :/

My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Advice needed: I have a G3 Snowflake who is lovely but was resting against a pony with chartruse hair and now has a big yellow stain on her body above her symbol. :(

Luckily it didn't touch the symbol itself! But... Snowflake is such a dark blue, I'm terrified to try sunfading. Even if I cover every portion of the pony except the big yellow spot... wouldn't they just mean that after the sunfading I'll have a big patch of light blue on her body, compared to the darker blue of the rest of her that I covered up?

Thanks for advice. Snowflake is such a lovely G3, I really want to return her to the pristine state I got her in.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline tehrin

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Advice needed: I have a G3 Snowflake who is lovely but was resting against a pony with chartruse hair and now has a big yellow stain on her body above her symbol. :(

Luckily it didn't touch the symbol itself! But... Snowflake is such a dark blue, I'm terrified to try sunfading. Even if I cover every portion of the pony except the big yellow spot... wouldn't they just mean that after the sunfading I'll have a big patch of light blue on her body, compared to the darker blue of the rest of her that I covered up?

Thanks for advice. Snowflake is such a lovely G3, I really want to return her to the pristine state I got her in.

That's likely what would end up happening. Though you could control how big and obvious that spot is going to be by using paint... but at the same time, it's going to lighten the plastic no matter what you do. :/

Post Merge: March 20, 2012, 10:50:37 AM

would it be safe to do on these ponies? and i think this is just what alpha needs! THANKS THANKS THANKS AGAIN!!!!!! I have to get moving some of the stuff off my window sill so i can finally start fading my ponies!  ^_^ <3 <3 <3

alpha has green highlighter eyes that go to her frecklels, and bridey has a yellow stain above her symbol.... just asking cuz i know cherrytreats likes to burn and i dont want any fried ponies.. :/

I would suggest covering up the entire pony, except for the area that's stained on those and paint around it. I've seen pictures of sunfading working fine on pink ponies. The light blue SHOULD be okay, but might fade entirely to white. Like I said above, the dark blue ponies are going to fade to a light blue. So you might not have yellow there anymore, but you might end up with lighter blue.  Though highlighter for some reason likes to fade out very quickly compared to how fast the plastic fades. So if it's highlighter, you might have a better chance with that, though I'm not entirely sure. (No blue ponies to experiment on!) Also make sure that you cover the purple pony very carefully... I'm finding with some ponies, their colors are a mix of different plastics and they like to fade weirdly. I have one purple pony I was fading that developed faint blue splotches everywhere on her body. But I could've controlled it better had I just covered everything except the stains.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:50:37 AM by tehrin »

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Ack, that's what I feared. Thanks for the quick response!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal