collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Exciting reaction to collection from non-collectors!  (Read 3602 times)

ButtonMasher

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Exciting reaction to collection from non-collectors!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:55:08 AM »
I think most people's first reaction upon seeing a toy collection is their inner child screaming "Oh my GAWD WOW" and then they consciously decide how it is they think they're supposed to feel about it.

I have found that since I started collecting G1 ponies my room has gained a particular smell. One corner is entirely coconut smelling thanks to G3 Thistle Whistle... but the rest is what I guess would be the "pony smell."

Actually one of my friends recently walked into my room for the first time in a while and commented: "Hey, why does it smell like My Little Pony in he--... oh." Apparently he knows another collector (who has an entire pony room) and is familiar enough with the smell that he recognised it right away. He now says he feared all along when I started watching FiM that the unthinkable would happen and I start collecting "old stuff" as well as G4  :P

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13:02 AM »
Hehehe! They do have a certian smell that is known for smelling up the entire area! :D

I had a friend who walked in saying that our apartment smelled like Christmas Morning, the smell of fresh smelling plastic right out of the packaging! XD

The ponies smell more than the husband's toy collection. :P 

I didn't really notice it until I took a box of ponies out of state with me for a convention where I was hosting a pony panel. I was like... huh... it smells... like... like... fruit loops... NO! lots of ponies! :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(also click for my sales here. :3)

pranceatron

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »
Funny - that's exactly what a non-collector wanted to do when she saw mine on display - take a big whiff.  She had them as a kid and wanted to remember the smell!

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
So I had some friends come over to my house yesterday for the first time.  I was nervous... I mean, there are ponies everywhere and manga and all of the collections...  very overwhelming to have people see it. 

You know what they said about my pony room?  They said, "It even smells like....  like...  um..." to which I suggested, "pony?", and they agreed, "Yeah!  It smells like pony in here!"

My older sister once told me that "it smells like 80's in here!" and got all nostalgic, Coco Berry was the one to blame for that. :biggrin:
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
That story is gorgeous lovesbabysqurimy! I have a friend who knew I'd started collecting, but who didn't know the extent of my collection - she came over the other week and as I was making a cuppa, she walked out of the kitchen and happened to walk past the open door of the room my recently acquired pony cabinet is in.
I heard the loudest, laughing expletive followed by the insanest giggles!
It was really cute, actually. As I followed her into the room she was having a fit, saying things like 'You're *expletive* crazy!' (laughs inbetween) 'I have to take a photo of this and put it on my facebook and say look at what my *expletive* crazy friend has got!'
Whereas one might be disconcerted by this reaction, the event was made all the more awesome by her ensuing silence, looking over all the ponies for a few minutes with this smile on her face. I then slid open the cabinet door and said 'smell'. It was like this magical aroma hit her. It was really cool  :)

So yeah, the smell and the nostaliga... most awesome. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal