collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Oxy Clean and G2's?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
Oxy Clean and G2's?
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:25:52 AM »
I use Oxyclean when cleaning my G1's up. Has anyone used it on G2's? I know you can't use it on TE ponies as it strips the sparkly coating from the eyes would it have the same effect on a G2?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Oxy Clean and G2's?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
I have and I can't say I saw any damage but I've airbrushed over the eyes now so I can't double check :blush:

The G2 eyes don't have an iridescent coating in the same way that the TE ponies did (the sparkle is on the back of the jewel rather than painted on top) so I can't see that there would be anything for it to damage.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:44:46 AM »
I have and I can't say I saw any damage but I've airbrushed over the eyes now so I can't double check :blush:

The G2 eyes don't have an iridescent coating in the same way that the TE ponies did (the sparkle is on the back of the jewel rather than painted on top) so I can't see that there would be anything for it to damage.

You beat me to it!   G2 ponies don't have that coating, so I don't think there would be any reason not to use it.  You could always test it on one you do't care much about to be sure though!

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »
I've actually just acquired a tub of Oxi clean, but I've never used it for ponies.
What do you do with it?

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 07:40:01 AM »
How are the jewels on G2s attached? Are they just glued on, and if so, can Oxy Clean make them fall off?

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »
I've actually just acquired a tub of Oxi clean, but I've never used it for ponies.
What do you do with it?

I run the tap water until it's very hot, then put the plug in, add a scoop of the oxy clean (I use cheapo Tesco version), fill the sink then submerse the ponies. I usually put a face cloth or something over the top to keep them dunked. Depending on how bad the ponies are, I'll either take them out after 12 hours or I change the water twice a day.

How are the jewels on G2s attached? Are they just glued on, and if so, can Oxy Clean make them fall off?

They are glued in. Very secure so I think it'd be fine. Mine certainly aren't loose!

gypsyunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
Canthis stuff be used on any color of pony or are there certain ponies in a certain color that is a no no to dunk in

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
Just popping in to say that how loose the G2 jewels are depends on pony. Mine always fell out, and if I glued them in again they lost their spark (glue = smooze! :P ), so be careful with those pretty jewels.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:46:13 AM by StarZetRaven »
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
Wow, 12 hours soaking? I don't think I have the patience! I'd rather just give them a scrub.

PandoraFox

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
Wow, 12 hours soaking? I don't think I have the patience! I'd rather just give them a scrub.

I've personally already had very good results just leaving them in for half an hour or an hour or so.
Though I suppose it depends on how dirty the ponies are in the first place, but in my case that amount of time even removed mild smooze/pindot mold.
I do use the Vanish Oxi Action brand though, as we always tend to have that around anyways, which I've heard people here say is fairly aggressive in comparison to some other brands. I also use water that I boil beforehand and then poor into the bucket when it's still piping hot.
I know some people also tend to actually boil the pony they're trying to clean, as in, hold her in a pot of boiling water with the product added, but I've not been brave enough to try that.

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
It's the Vanish stuff I have too.
So then. Head on - or off? And do you scrub them or does it just sort itself out?

Always looking for MLP erasers

PandoraFox

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
It's the Vanish stuff I have too.
So then. Head on - or off? And do you scrub them or does it just sort itself out?

I've personally had fine results without scrubbing. I just let them soak and rinse well afterwards.
Though I don't know if there's people who've had good results with that for more stubborn stains. I must admit I still have a lot to learn about cleaning and restoring.
As for the heads, I'm not completely sure, as I've simply taken the heads of all ponies I've cleaned so far, since quite a few had internal issues too. Personally, until I hear positive stories from someone else, I'll keep taking heads of before I clean. I suspect the ponies would fill up with water and not dry right otherwise.

I've have learned a few general rules from the wonderful people here though, which are good to keep in mind. 
Don't use it on ponies with clear tinsel (Like pony bride and most g3's have, the clear iridescent type), ponies with glitter symbols, princess ponies and twinkle eye ponies. Their tinsel/symbols/eyes will be damaged by it.
Color change hair will also be ruined by it I believe, or well, by the heat of the water.
The chartreuse/extremely bright yellow hair, like Surprise has, can also cause staining to a pony's body when boiled.
I'd not risk oxi-cleaning a pony with that type of hair either.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
I've used Oxi-clean on G2s. I can say that I did lose the eye gems on one of them (the others didn't have the gems when I got them XD)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »
I've had no problems here dunking G2s into Oxyaction - just be careful with the few with chartreuse hair ofc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal