collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Brag! Goodwill luck!  (Read 2552 times)

will2Bfree

• Trade Count: (0)
First Brag! Goodwill luck!
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
I've never bought any thrift store ponies before because they either weren't a good price, or I just didn't like them or the shape they were in.

But last week, I went to a Goodwill and hit the jackpot! Yay! A bunch of ponies, both mlp and fakies, being sold separately (rather than in expensive bags packed with a bunch of other junk). I actually had to practice some self-restraint and only buy half of the My Little Ponies they had. :shocked: I'm just now posting about them, because I took my time to get them all cleaned up. I'm very thorough about cleaning up used toys. :crazy: They had a little aroma, but I'm not sure if that's because of the store or where they originally came from. I definitely plan on going back to that Goodwill sometime because of the luck I had, but I've gotta admit, it stunk!

So here's the summary -

What I left behind:
G1 SS Lofty
G1 Flutter Forget-Me-Not (missing wings)
G3 Starcatcher (fabric wings)
G3 Sparkleworks
G3 Rainbow Dash
G3 July Larkspur
and a bunch of inserted(glass?)-eye fakies

What I adopted:
G3 Misty Blue
G3 Strawberry Swirl
G3 Moondancer
G1 BBE Baby Sundance
G1 Baby Stockings
G1 Big Brother Salty

And they were only $1 each!  :woot: Awesome! Salty was actually marked $2, but the lady at the register only charged me $1 for him, the same as the others were marked. Wasn't that nice of her?!

I realize my picks probably were not what the majority here would've picked, but because I was limiting myself, I decided to get the ones I wanted most, rather than the ones I thought were worth the most to other people. I don't care for So Soft's and yellow is my least favorite color, so Lofty didn't make the cut. I thought about that flutter pony for awhile, but in the end her grimace put me off. Ponies are supposed to have pretty, gentle smiles, but the flutters' mouths just look like big grimaces to me. Starcatcher was pretty roughed up and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get her very clean. And other such reasonings for my choices. Funny thing is, I'd never even contemplated getting any Big Brother or Baby ponies before. But when I saw them, I figured that was probably going to be the only time I'd ever have a chance at any, and for such a good price!

The reason I was limiting myself so much is because, the next day, we were going to Springfield (a much bigger city, with a lot more thrift stores) and you never know what you'll find there and want to have the money for. So we went to six thrift stores in Springfield. Six! And you know what I found? Nothing! Nada! Zilch! In fact, the only mlp merchandise I saw at all was a little girl's G3 bicycle helmet, two of those weird G3 stuffed baby dolltype things, and a G3.5 Mcdonald's Starsong. :( Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. If I'd known Springfield was so pony dry, I would've at least gotten that Larkspur and Forget-Me-Not the previous day. Oh well, hindsight's 20/20.

Now, onto the pictures! :biggrin:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I also picked up that grey thing there in the middle at the Goodwill too. It smells like it was a candle holder. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet, but it was so pretty, just my style, and I was in such a good mood from the ponies... it was an impulse buy. $5

Salty has a severe and sloppy haircut, but I think his tail is actually really cute that length. It makes him look more like a draft horse, which I think goes with the molded style of the boys' feet better. I should've taken a better picture of him from the rear so you could really see it. *smacks forehead*

I'm not sure what these spots are, but I fear they may be the beginning of pony cancer. Goof Off wouldn't remove them, so I may try baking soda and vinegar next.

I was never a fan of this pose and I'm still not, but she can make it look good!

Ok, I wasn't so sure about the BBE's. They don't creep me out as much as I thought they would, but my main motivation for getting her was because I've been wanting a regular Sundance for awhile and I thought she'd sort of fill that desire. Not so much. She is cute, but I'd still rather have an adult Sundance.

The Christmas baby and Moondancer are my absolute favorites from this bunch. I'm so lucky they're the ones that turned out to be in the best condition. :) The others I think I could easily trade without feeling much loss, but those two are keepers! I like Salty too, if for no other reason than to have a boy in my herd, but if that really is cancer, I'm not sure there's really anything I can do for him. :huh:

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First Brag! Goodwill luck!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:25:53 PM »
congrats!!! <3  great choices! I understand about having to have restraint. I saw a ss pony lot on ebay with a bin price of 10$ and it was soooo hard not to get it! :<  I didnt.. still wish i did though. but that's life!
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

cesprins

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
I'm in love with salty's hair like that. :) Very punky, and actually looks really good with those longer strands.

will2Bfree

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
I'm in love with salty's hair like that. :) Very punky, and actually looks really good with those longer strands.

Thanks. I'm not really sold on it yet, myself. I've braided those two longer areas since I took that picture and now it looks like he's got a rat's tail. I'll have to take another picture of it tomorrow when the sun is up. I was thinking of just leaving one of the areas longer, but I think a straight mohawk would look the best, to be honest. It's a shame one row of the plugs was cut so much shorter than the other. Really, I'm still undecided what to do with it.

At least it's clean now. When I first got him, there was a dead bug exoskeleton stuck in it and they were all pretty grimy. I'm guessing they'd been in storage for awhile.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
Nice finds. I always enjoy hearing about ponies found in thrift stores :)

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »
Awesome!! Congrats!

will2Bfree

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »
I forgot to mention those were the first G1's I've ever bought, too. I was pretty excited about that.

FlyingPonyMonster

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:35:08 AM »
Congrats!!!!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:19:43 AM »
GO BACK FOR LOFTY!!!

There are some great ponies there!! Huge congrats!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:00:51 AM »
Very nice choices! Grats :D xxx

Offline bigmlpfan

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Currently offline due to illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »
Congrats ;)

bigmlpfan xx

will2Bfree

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »
I just realized you can probably tell I've got a real soft spot for white ponies. It didn't even occur to me until I saw the picture again.

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »
Amazing finds! I probably would have chosen the same ones too!
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
Congrats on your buys.  I would have snagged the birth flower G3 though, they are super hard to find. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal