collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fashion Help Please!  (Read 1567 times)

Offline zuse

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://littlestpetshop.50webs.com
Fashion Help Please!
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »
I'm traveling to visit a friend next week and I've realized I need to work on my wardrobe a bit! (We'll probably be going out some, and I don't normally because no time!!!)

I've been meaning to buy some new jeans but haven't gotten the chance because I've been busy. So now that I do have some time coming up, why not throw in some tops, skirts, dresses, accessories, and shoes too. :)

I'm in my mid-20s now, but in a rough graduate program so have pretty much reverted to jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, hoodies as my daily fashion. However, I'm going to be a professional soon so definitely need to start working on getting myself wearing nicer clothes! ;) And it's been who knows how long since I last went shopping, so I will feel no guilt. :)

So, what are latest things I should know about? Especially west coast. :) I don't really have a lot of time to check out a bunch of clothing websites sadly. Get my sad self up to date!

Pictures! Links!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:15:31 PM by zuse »
Is it summer yet? :-P
Hey, check out Swagbucks.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Fashion Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »
Wish I could help, but I'm mostly in the same boat as you!  Can't wait for some fashionistas to weigh in.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »
We on the west coast are a bit more laid back in our appearance - but it still may depend on where you are going.  (And for professional attire, what is your industry, and where would you like a job?  Because here in CA, unless you are a lawyer or accountant, or in the service industry, many people wear jeans, khakis, t-shirts and causal polos to work).

This spring is bringing back lots of color (anyone remember the Gap commercials of 2000/2001 where they stated "Are you a jean?" "Are you a khaki?" and it was all colorful bottoms?  Yep, color is back).  So perhaps a bold green or cobalt blue skinny jean would be nice for going out.  But if that's not your thing, keep it neutral on the bottom and go for color on the top.  Dolman cut shirts are in, as are tunics in breezy fabrics.

For professional attire, it's probably good to have some nice slacks in black or grey (or both), and then some button-down shirts in various colors (but your industry may dictate how flashy you want to get with color and accessories).  Cardigans are also a great way to change things up, and the ones out now have embellishments to make them more dressy and fun.  Also blouses that have built-in ties are making a comeback, and work great for professional attire.

As for shoes, it really depends on if you like to go high or low.  Flats come in all ranges from being super casual to super cute to being just the thing to wear to the office.  And you can do either a closed toe or a peep-toe.  Be sure your pants are tailored to the height you are in flats (same goes for heels).  I personally like platform heels, but if the height bothers you, wedges are a great alternative (but generally are a bit more casual, so may be reserved for going out).  Patent leather is in for footwear, which I just love, but I think it's a personal preference.  Platform loafers are coming into play this year, which may be an option for work.

Maxi dresses are in again this season, but depending on where you work, may or may not be appropriate.  Skirts embellished with lace, tiers, or in general have a flow to them are quite the thing.  But never dismiss a good pencil skirt for work (if that compliments your body type).

As for accessories, feathers are in, but I think accessories are more suited to your personal taste rather than the trend of the moment, so pick the metal you feel most comfortable in (ie gold vs. silver), and keep scale in mind.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you!  I love to go shopping, but don't much only because it's not that fun towing my four kids along, lol!  So I do most of it online.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »
I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl I'm afraid but good luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »
I dress in an aggressively minimalist style. Black khakis, white dress shirt, black vest, and a tie that never gets more bold than red. It's hard to look out of place anywhere when you dress like that. If I'm going out to a music venue, to a party, or something more formal, it works. The female equivalent would be black tights, black pencil or A-line skirt, white shirt, and a grey cardigan. Mix and match monochromes to your liking.

If you dress for the moment, the current trend in fashion, you always risk standing out, either in a good, or a bad way. I dress with the attitude 'How do I look to the future?', not how do I see into the future, but if 20 years from now, people were looking at me, what would they think? It's a good way to avoid fashion gaffs.

It's not fashionable, but it's not not fashionable.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline zuse

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://littlestpetshop.50webs.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »
I'm hanging out with my friend in LA for a few days so I don't want to look like a complete slob when we go places (she's living out there temporarily, but always looks really put together and I need an excuse for new clothes, darn it!)

I'm totally not a trendy person, just like some of the people who have already posted above. But my nicest pair of dress pants (which I have not worn in forever) have really wide legs with turned up cuffs at the end and knowing fashion and my luck I'm sure that's probably gotten pretty dated. They're from a few years ago. A bunch of my older skirts (the ones that aren't denim) are all floral patterns with the sheer overlay. I'm trying to get you to understand just how tragic this is! I can remember specific instances where I wore all these things and I can't believe it's been so long ago. Good news is they still fit (phew!) bad news is I'm starting to understand the rationale of the people featured on "What Not To Wear."

My field is veterinary medicine and I'm about to start my rotations in a few months. Large animal side is easy since I just wear khakis, boots and polos when I'm in the barn, but on the small animal side I'm supposed to wear professional clothes (slacks, etc.) under my lab coat Scrubs are only for if we're going into surgery or something similar. And then of course I'm going to have to start gearing up for interviews.

Obviously I'll never have to be a fashionista (one of the job perks - once I'm in practice I can probably wear scrubs 24/7 if I want!) But I also don't want to become that lady that still wears clothes from 15 years ago!

My favorite colors to wear are fall and jewel tone colors - dark plum, pumpkin orange, teal, brown, and wine red. I've noticed I tend to buy/wear teal or aquamarine a lot as I get complimented the most when I wear it (thanks eyes!) I love denim and brown leather. I don't care for pastels and don't pull off fluorescent colors very well - so if the 90s come back, I'm screwed. :-P I look best in A-line dresses. For jewelry, I love things that have metals like bronze, copper, and burnished gold. I'm not a fan of heels. I'll buy them on a whim and then they sit in my closet for 5 years (unworn). I have a pair of Toms and wear flip flops whenever the weather will allow.

I have a feeling I'd probably be happiest ordering out of the L.L. Bean catalog... but dang it, I'm not even 30 yet and I'm too poor anyways!

DoctorMowinckel, I hear you about considering how something will it look in the future. My mother still tells me the story of going to get her hair done not long before her wedding. It was 1982, so you know where this is going. Her stylist tried to talk her into the spiral perm. She declined, and had her hair straight and wore a veil. She's never regretted it (although are plenty of other non-wedding pictures of her with tragic perms, as she eventually succumbed).

Also, every once in awhile I go on Etsy window-shopping binges for jewelry. I'll try to figure out what wardrobes will go with certain jewelry styles (kawaii, cute retro 80s, natural earthy stuff, etc.). None of it matches anything I really have and it seems silly to make a whole outfit for one piece of jewelry, ha! Anyone else ever face this dilemma. :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:59:24 PM by zuse »
Is it summer yet? :-P
Hey, check out Swagbucks.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:11:19 PM »
Where (approximately) are you going? What do you think the weather will be like? What kind of budget do you have? What's your body type like? What about your complexion/hair color/hairstyle? And finally, do you have an aversion to skirts/dresses and showing your legs?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:17:01 PM by saply »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal